Time Warner CEO 'hopes Apple makes a TV'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
During Business Insider's IGNITION conference on Wednesday, Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes said that he "hopes" Apple builds a television set with its own take on the medium, noting the company's history of disruption in already-established markets.

Jeffrey Bewkes
Time Warner CEO Jeffrey Bewkes. | Source: Time Warner

When asked about Apple's possible plans in the TV space, especially as it pertains to manufacturing an in-house designed HDTV, Bewkes told Business Insider, "I hope they do. I think Apple is a great device company."

The executive went on to echo statements made by analysts, pointing out that Apple's strength lies in its ability to invent intuitive user interfaces, something that the cable and TV industry is sorely lacking.

"They bring good interface and navigation skills," Bewkes said, referring to the hundreds of channels now available from many cable providers.

A new sleek UI coupled with a content discovery engine like the one implemented in iTunes could very well be a game changer, however Apple may not be alone in introducing such improvements to the marketplace. Consumers are going to see "as many interfaces as you can get," Bewkes said. Just last week, a rumor said Microsoft was planning to build its own Xbox-branded set-top streaming device to take on the current Apple TV.

Speculation as to what Apple is planning to take over the living room has persisted for over a year, with possible products ranging from a smart iOS-based remote control to a full-fledged television set. Rumors surfaced after the first Apple TV was released in 2009, but a quote from late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs saying he had "cracked" the code to creating a simple TV sparked a flood of conjecture that the company would soon unveil a totally new product.

Further reports noted that while Jobs was "excited" about the possibility of building an Apple-branded HDTV, content rights distribution was a major hurdle to bring such a device to market.

Another rumor from August said Apple was shopping around the idea of an advanced set-top cable box with cloud-based DVR capabilities to national and regional providers, though again, content rights management was though to be a significant stumbling block in the purported talks.

The IGNITION: Future Of Digital conference is scheduled to run for two days, and explores the successful and emerging business models of digital media.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 41
    At firat ,the idea of an Apple television to me sounded odd, but now it actually makes sense. Bring it :D
  • Reply 2 of 41
    Of course, they don't hope Apple cuts the cable companies out of the picture... which is what must happen for progress to be made with the goal of selling channels, or programming as individual apps.
  • Reply 3 of 41

Wait until Apple comes out with it.

I predict you'll see the usual bunch of lowlifes coming out of the woodwork blithely and ignorantly waxing eloquent about how it was all obvious, after the fact...... despite the fact that every TV/cable user interface out there (including whatever pathetic nonsense Google has been attempting) today is an assault on one's senses.

• Reply 4 of 41
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

If Apple goes into the Television business, that is the day I am ditching all my Macs, iPads, and iPhones and getting DEC Alphas and Silicon Graphics machines...Apple will prove to me that they are no longer interested in being a computer company, so they don't deserve my interest either.

• Reply 5 of 41
    wardc wrote: »
    If Apple goes into the Television business, that is the day I am ditching all my Macs, iPads, and iPhones and getting DEC Alphas and Silicon Graphics machines...Apple will prove to me that they are no longer interested in being a computer company, so they don't deserve my interest either.

So even if its just a 50 inch screen computer with tv features you'll ditch?
  • Reply 6 of 41
    Of course they want it, Apple would guarantee a profit increase.
  • Reply 7 of 41
    If he really wants to see the industry disrupted he should do it himself. Have all TW content on the store faster, cheaper etc. Say all movies are up in 1080p with subtitles, alt audio, features etc within a month of being out of the theaters for $9.99. All shows are the same within a week of OTA for $.99 for half hour shows and $1.99 for hour long, season passes with 'complete my' for no more than $14.99 on a half hour and $19.99 for an hour long (with 22 eps). And in all global stores at that time.

THAT would disrupt the whole thing and potentially reduce pirate copies.
  • Reply 8 of 41

Quote:

Originally Posted by WardC View Post

Do us all a favor and sell your Apple products now. Your whining is epic.

• Reply 9 of 41
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Apple is not the company it used to be, already. I'm sorry you can't see this. They have deserted their pro customers and turned into a consumer toy company, afterall, they even admit that is where 95% of their income is coming from these days: iPads and iPhones. The TV would only add to this. The computer side of the company only makes up a very small portion of Apple's total sales today. It wasn't this way 20 years, when the company was Apple Computer, Inc, and they gave top-notch service hand and foot to every customer. Now they just want to get you in the door to their AppleCastle and feed you iCandy! -- until you cough up more cash.

Apple is only focused on one thing these days. Making money. That's all they care about. Making money....not changing the world, not revolutionizing the way we see things, not benefiting education and teaching future generations in schools, not even inspiring people with stellar ad campaigns like "Think different" -- no, Apple is not the same company. With Apple today, it is all just $$$$$ - it's their blind-focused drive. Cash and profit.

• Reply 10 of 41

Quote:

Apple is not the company it used to be, already. I'm sorry you can't see this. They have deserted their pro customers and turned into a consumer toy company, afterall, they even admit that is where 95% of their income is coming from these days: iPads and iPhones. The TV would only add to this. The computer side of the company only makes up a very small portion of Apple's total sales today. It wasn't this way 20 years, when the company was Apple Computer, Inc, and they gave top-notch service hand and foot to every customer. Now they just want to get you in the door to their AppleCastle and feed you iCandy! -- until you cough up more cash.

Apple is only focused on one thing these days. Making money. That's all they care about. Making money....not changing the world, not revolutionizing the way we see things, not benefiting education and teaching future generations in schools, not even inspiring people with stellar ad campaigns like "Think different" -- no, Apple is not the same company. With Apple today, it is all just $$$$$ - it's their blind-focused drive. Cash and profit.

See.. your post is so retarded/stupid. What does it matter if 99% of Apple's income comes from iOS devices? your ignorance to realize that the 1% of income from macs today is much larger than all mac related income 5 years ago is insane-level.

• Reply 11 of 41
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Apple will prove to me that they are no longer interested in being a computer company, so they don't deserve my interest either.

Nose, face, I'd like you to meet a friend of mine called knife.

Do you recall Apple dropping the word 'Computer' from their name a while back?

Great to see the Time Warner are getting all excited about Apple's possible TV when they don't even have some of their titles available to purchase in HD.

Matrix Trilogy, anyone?

Almost as annoying as those music companies that want you to go back to purchasing entire albums on iTunes...

• Reply 12 of 41
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    See.. your post is so retarded/stupid. What does it matter if 99% of Apple's income comes from iOS devices? your ignorance to realize that the 1% of income from macs today is much larger than all mac related income 5 years ago is insane-level.

Exactly- macs are at an all time high. And it's because of those iOS devices- 100%. I wouldn't have bought a Mac if I didn't have an iPhone first. Now look at me... I'm on freakin apple insider!
  • Reply 13 of 41
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Apple is not the company it used to be, already.

Yes...they are successful and insanely profitable.

Quote:

They have deserted their pro customers and turned into a consumer toy company, afterall, they even admit that is where 95% of their income is coming from these days: iPads and iPhones. 

Shocking...a profit-seeking company is focused on selling products that generate a profit for them. This is downright scandalous.

Quote:

The TV would only add to this.

Perhaps. Let's hope so.

Quote:

The computer side of the company only makes up a very small portion of Apple's total sales today.

We all know that. Does your "argument" gain anything by stating the obvious?

Quote:

It wasn't this way 20 years, when the company was Apple Computer, Inc, and they gave top-notch service hand and foot to every customer.

There are a lot of things that aren't like they were 20 years ago. And mostly those are good things.

Quote:

Well none of this stuff becomes true because you say it. I see Apple as focused on trying to make great products, the profits then come from that. Most of those products are making the lives of millions of people better...including those who are seeking an education and even some of those who are giving it (though if you want to talk about people selfishly focused on money...the teacher's unions should be in your sites.)

Anyway, you seem bitter and angry. Maybe a beer or glass of wine would help.

• Reply 14 of 41
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    LOL...if Apple was only a computer company today it would join the ranks of DEC and SGI and be part of history...not making history with brilliant new computing products for the rest of us. Not arcane VMS and unix machines for the tiny few grey beards longing for a command line and computing only for the elite geeks.

What a laughable troll and an unimaginative one at that. Apple not in education? Is that why the computer lab at my kids school is full of iMacs? And why educators are excited about iPads? What an insanely stupid remark.
  • Reply 15 of 41
    wardc wrote: »

I fail to see how you'd be more efficient with the vintage hardware that you suggested as alternative earlier than with, say, a MacBook Pro... Also, Apple has never targeted the "pro" market specifically, and they've been trying their luck in other sectors for a very long time, too (no, that's not a joke, they've sold those socks for years before discontinuing them recently).
  • Reply 16 of 41
    Wait until Apple comes out with it.

I predict you'll see the usual bunch of lowlifes coming out of the woodwork blithely and ignorantly waxing eloquent about how it was all obvious, after the fact...... despite the fact that every TV/cable user interface out there (including whatever pathetic nonsense Google has been attempting) today is an assault on one's senses.

"Blah blah walled garden blah blah customization blah blah open blah blah iSheep blah blah innovate don't litigate blah blah kool-aid blah blah"
  • Reply 17 of 41
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    mj1970 wrote: »
    Anyway, you seem bitter and angry. Maybe a beer or glass of wine would help.

He's had far more than his fair share of the whine.
  • Reply 18 of 41

Quote:

I know they aren't the company they used to be. If they had remained the same company the entire time, they'd be out of business by now. Different stages in the life of a company require different forms of management and different focus.

They are the only company of their size I can think of that still acts (in many ways) like a start-up, even without Jobs in the drivers seat. They'll change many times in the future. Success is never guaranteed, so if you are uncomfortable about any aspect of the company to the point where you are losing sleep... get out now because they won't be making far-reaching decisions based on your complaints. Seriously.

• Reply 19 of 41

This tells me that the idea is absolutely horrible. If the telecoms want it, consumers shouldn't.

Apple will prove to me that they are no longer interested in being a computer company, so they don't deserve my interest either.

SO YOU MISSED MACWORLD 2007, THEN, HUH.

• Reply 20 of 41
    poochpooch Posts: 768member

Apple customer Pooch 'hopes Apple releases iTunes 11 in the next 48 hours ...'