Filetype associations

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Is there a way to change filetype associations in OS X? For example, I want to open standard Quicktime PICTs but my computer insists on starting Classic and opening up PictureViewer instead of just opening Preview in OS X. How do I change this?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Anyone?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    enderender Posts: 353member
    I second this question. I have a bunch of jpeg files from my digital camera (whose smartmedia card reader only works in OS 9 -- damn Apple and Microtech ZiO drivers) that open in classic not Preview.

Also, I have some .dmg files that decided they'd rather open in BBEdit than with Disk Copy. It's the one thing that absolutely hangs the machine... no SMP when the computer is reading hundreds of MB of data into BBEdit. Only a force quit of BBEdit will do.

-Ender
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Can't you change a file's application by opening it's info window??
  • Reply 4 of 5
    cooopcooop Posts: 390member
    Yes you can, I just never explored the Get Info window long enough to notice this featurette. I always kept looking in the System Preferences somewhere. Oh well, thank you very much.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    catalystcatalyst Posts: 226member
    Is there some application or system preference panel where we can edit each and every single file association?