iPhone 5 to see mid-December China debut after Apple's regulatory approval

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The iPhone 5 was awarded a network access license in China, setting Apple's handset up for an anticipated mid-December launch.

The approval of the iPhone 5 was discovered on a regulatory website Thursday by The Wall Street Journal. The models approved by Chinese regulators are WCDMA and CDMA-2000, compatible with China Unicom, the nation's second-largest carrier, and China Telecom, its third-largest.

With the necessary hurdles out of the way, the iPhone 5 is now expected to launch in China in mid-December, according to Engadget. But without a TD-SCDMA model approved, it won't mark the debut of the iPhone on China Mobile, the largest carrier in the world.

The iPhone 5 has been slowly making its way through the Chinese approval process for months. Apple has not given a specific release date, but has said the iPhone 5 will be available in 100 countries on 240 carriers by December.

iPhone 5

The iPhone 5 is on sale in Hong Kong, where sales have been brisk. Carriers in China have been anticipating the iPhone 5 launch in mainland China, which has become an increasingly important region for Apple's business.

Market watchers in particular are excited about the potential of a deal between China Mobile and Apple. China Mobile has nearly 700 million subscribers, with 75.6 million of those currently on its high-speed 3G network. Some have speculated that a deal could be reached by early 2013.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Yes! That'll boost the stock, and if they indeed reach an agreement with CM the future is bright.

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/16944/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 2 of 13
    Going for worlds largest country, even with 20% gain in china, major boost in stock, hopefully will be on china mobile, Chinas biggest carrier.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I so do not care about China and the iPhone 5. I really don't... I hope Apple gets in but enough already...
  • Reply 4 of 13

Originally Posted by sapporobabyrtrns View Post

…enough already…

You don't want them to succeed wildly, as they have everywhere else?

• Reply 5 of 13
    China doesn't have the iPhone 5 yet? This would have never happened if Steve Jobs were alive¡
  • Reply 6 of 13

@ Tallest Skil,

Did I say I don't want them to succeed? Is reading into statements and formulating completely unfounded answers part of you nature?

• Reply 7 of 13

Did I say I don't want them to succeed? Is reading into statements and formulating completely unfounded answers part of you nature?

You said "enough already". I asked a question as to your meaning thereof, posing a potential option. You need only confirm or deny said option, and provide your real meaning if the latter.

• Reply 8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You said "enough already". I asked a question as to your meaning thereof, posing a potential option. You need only confirm or deny said option, and provide your real meaning if the latter.

You really couldn't figure out the context I was referring to? Really?

• Reply 9 of 13
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Yes! That'll boost the stock, and if they indeed reach an agreement with CM the future is bright.

Are you implying Apple's stock price has anything to do with how well they do? LOL

• Reply 10 of 13

You really couldn't figure out the context I was referring to? Really?

It's good for the investors. I'd greatly prefer a boatload of repetitive success stories in China to offset the shorting done elsewhere.

• Reply 11 of 13
    joshajosha Posts: 901member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Are you implying Apple's stock price has anything to do with how well they do? LOL

Apple's stock price has a lot to do with how well they do, but as we have often observed "not everything"!

The market game players must play their up/down plays.

Recently the down play was so low, I bought more Apple and I'm in the money very quickly on those additional shares.

• Reply 12 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

or (I couldn't help it  image ).

• Reply 13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

China doesn't have the iPhone 5 yet? This would have never happened if Steve Jobs were alive¡

lol,but China have iPhone 5...