First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 21 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why offer both? It's needlessly confusing. Get rid of the maximize button and let the green button perform that function. Now I have two buttons on opposite sides of the screen performing roughly the same function.

Ummm...no. 

Full Screen is completely different from the green button. Maximize keeps you in the same desktop, while Full Screen creates a new space. There is a world of conceptual, and usage differences between the two.

And iTunes is one of the few buttons where the green button even means maximize. In most apps (e.g. Safari) it means best fit. Actually, technically, it means best fit in iTunes also, because the maximized fit is probably best fit for an iTunes library (at least on laptops...not tested it on a desktop).

• Reply 22 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Splash-reverse View Post

Menu navigation seems a bit an afterthought. A lone strip than can be shown/hidden -- no correspond items in the concealed menu when hidden (not all is shown in there - the little window icon in the top left) 

Could you clarify? Not sure what you mean (how do you hide the menus?). Are you talking about the Mini Player?

• Reply 23 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Ummm...no. 

Full Screen is completely different from the green button. Maximize keeps you in the same desktop, while Full Screen creates a new space. There is a world of conceptual, and usage differences between the two.

And iTunes is one of the few buttons where the green button even means maximize. In most apps (e.g. Safari) it means best fit. Actually, technically, it means best fit in iTunes also, because the maximized fit is probably best fit for an iTunes library (at least on laptops...not tested it on a desktop).

Sorry, but I'm right on this from the user's perspective. The functional differences are so slight, it is simply ridiculous. Get rid of one, either the green button or the maximize... or put them right next to each other on the left hand side, or all on the right hand side. Wasted motion is bad design. This is poorly thought out on Apple's part.

• Reply 24 of 242
    I like it so far. The mini player is real handy. I would like to see the 'up next' to be able to save into a playlist. Grab last x songs played from 'up next' and (x) out those you don't want, save to playlist.

[edited]
    Read all the options first Richard!

So you can take a song you are listening to that you like and add to a playlist.
  • Reply 25 of 242
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

I feel like I'm missing something really basic here.  I'm playing a playlist.  I click over to another playlist.  Where's the option to return to the currently playing playlist?

• Reply 26 of 242

Also: is anyone else having trouble turning the column browser on or off?  On some of my playlists, the column browser submenu is grayed out.

• Reply 27 of 242
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member

Not sure I like the look, but it's a damn sight faster.

• Reply 28 of 242

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm right on this from the user's perspective. The functional differences are so slight, it is simply ridiculous. Get rid of one, either the green button or the maximize... or put them right next to each other on the left hand side, or all on the right hand side. Wasted motion is bad design. This is poorly thought out on Apple's part.

Well, I'm a user. And, on my laptop, I sometimes want iTunes "best fit" within the current window, and other times (most of the time actually) I want it full screen on a desktop.

So, just because you don't want it, doesn't mean it's wrong. It means you don't want it. Nothing more.

It's perfect for me. So, perhaps I'm right on this from the user's perspective, what with me being a user and all.

• Reply 29 of 242
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Yes, yes, someone's favorite feature has been changed or removed. So bottom line when you all talk about how bloated the old iTunes was you were just kidding, right? As long as all YOUR stuff is still there bloat is fine. But remove YOUR often used feature and the world has ended as you know it. Apple is NOT Microsoft.
  • Reply 30 of 242
    It's iTunes for children and old people.
  • Reply 31 of 242

It's cleaner, more logically laid out. A simplified experience. 

Alternatively, you can have the Sidebar back and pretty much everything else as before. 

• Reply 32 of 242
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    mike fix wrote: »

Why won't make a version that works with Terminal: play playlist "25 Most Played' -R starttrack=10
  • Reply 33 of 242

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

"The xMac is a dream for idiots and people who aren't really professionals."

See, I can say things without explaining them, too.

• Reply 34 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Is there still a visualizer? Which one(s)? Can you still install 3rd-party visualizers?

As silly as it seems, now that I own a projector I%u2019m a big visualizer fan!

Other than that%u2014this looks good, but I won%u2019t be the guinea pig!

I would love to have visualizer on my AppleTV.  That would be awesome.

• Reply 35 of 242
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    djrumpy wrote: »
    Nevermind. Turns out you can turn on the old Sidebar under the view options, so the lack of a 'Playlists' button in the top nav is something I can work around.

Thanks for that note. I rely on playlists because even commercial digital music downloads are too inconsistent with their tags for album/artist/etc to actually work as intended. Get one character different and suddenly it's a different artist/etc. That goes to show that there needs to be actual intelligence behind any cataloging system because mindless character comparison fails.
  • Reply 36 of 242

Weird.  I also don't see a way to see the randomized track order in a playlist.  Previously, clicking random included the ability to see the playlist in the random order by clicking the far left column of track numbers.  Now, order doesn't change to match the randomized order.

• Reply 37 of 242
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    rokrad wrote: »
    Upper right is full screen mode, its much different than the green maximize window button.

That's because it's never been a "maximize" button. It's always been a "fit to content" button.
  • Reply 38 of 242
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm right on this from the user's perspective...Get rid of one, either the green button or the maximize... or put them right next to each other on the left hand side, or all on the right hand side.

You're arguing that Apple should break their system-wide user interface guidelines for one app. That's not going to happen. Do you really think apps should modify standard behavior? It's better for the user when all apps are well-behaved. There is a big difference between a window that fills the screen and an app in its own space. When an app is in its own space, you can get to it quickly via Mission Control, or use three-finger swipes to move to that space. The app window  doesn't cover any other app and is not covered by another app. When you keep the iTunes window in one space, its window interacts with other app windows, covering them and being covered by them.

• Reply 39 of 242
    lack of scrubbing on the mini player = a downgrade in my book
  • Reply 40 of 242
    Most importantly, is there syncing for podcasts? I can't seem to find it?