Microsoft Surface Pro to start at $899 for 64GB model

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Microsoft on Thursday announced the pricing for its forthcoming Surface Pro tablet, starting at $899 for the entry-level 64-gigabyte version with an Intel processor and the full Windows 8 operating system.

Surface

Customers will be able to double their storage to 128 gigabytes for $100 more with the $999 Surface Pro model, the Windows maker announced via its company blog. Both models of Surface with Windows 8 Pro will be available in January 2013.

All Surface Pro models will come with a Surface Pen, Microsoft's proprietary stylus, with Palm Block technology. The hardware also features 4 gigabytes of RAM, a USB 3.0 port, and the full Windows 8 operating system.

Like the ARM-based Surface RT, Surface Pro features a Dark Titanium VaporMg casing, dual 2x2 MIMO antennas, and a built-in kickstand. The professional-level machine will also weigh less than two pounds and be less than 14 millimeters thick.

The Intel-based Surface Pro will also feature a Core i5 processor with integrated graphics to power a 10.6-inch display running at 1,920-by-1,080 pixels in a 16:9 aspect ratio. It also has a Mini DisplayPort that can power an external display up to 2,560-by-1,440 pixels.

The Surface Pro is Microsoft?s attempt at creating a hybrid between a full-fledged PC and its currently available Surface RT operating system, which runs on low-powered ARM processors. Given the price points and features of the Surface Pro, Microsoft's high-end tablet hardware may be targeted as more of a MacBook Air competitor than something positioned to take on Apple's iPad.

In comparison, Apple?s entry-level 11.6-inch MacBook Air, with some similar specs, costs the same as Microsoft?s higher-end Surface Pro ? though consumers of the latter will have to pay at least $120 more for one of the compatible Surface keyboard covers, which are not included with Microsoft's tablet.

Microsoft's announcement arrived Thursday on the heels of a rumor from hit-or-miss publication DigiTimes, which claimed that Microsoft is drastically scaling back orders for its RT tablets after a soft start.

"Microsoft originally expected to ship four million Surface RT devices by the end of 2012, but has recently reduced the orders by half to only two million units," the report said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 147

That price suggests this thing is DOA

• Reply 2 of 147
    64 GB? More like 32 after the bloatware known as Windows is installed.
  • Reply 3 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

64 GB? More like 32 after the bloatware known as Windows is installed.

And let's not forget, unless I'm mistaken, this version will NOT come with MS Office pre-installed.

• Reply 4 of 147
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) I wonder how much usable storage you get with that if an Intel version of WIn 8 is installed?

2) I'm sure there are some use cases that can made for this product but I think most would fair better with a proper laptop for enterprise work.
  • Reply 5 of 147
    A laptop you cannot use on your lap. All for more money than MB Air when you add the keyboard. Hard to see how this is a winner.
  • Reply 6 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by drwam View Post

A laptop you cannot use on your lap. All for more money than MB Air when you add the keyboard. Hard to see how this is a winner.

Because it has a stylus?   image

• Reply 7 of 147

It's *already* DOA, but this time in a more expensive version. 

Bravo, Microstupid. Maybe your *next* CEO (if there ever will be one any time soon) will actually have vision that is less than 3 years out of date, and more than 5 feet beyond his personal space. 

• Reply 8 of 147

What's the battery life? 2 hrs?

• Reply 9 of 147
    How about a positive post? The upgrade from 64 to 128GB for $100 seems cheap (then again, everything MS does feels that way) Oops
  • Reply 10 of 147
    + warranty, support, keyboard?
  • Reply 11 of 147
    14mm thick? How heavy is this thing? Why not get a Macbook Air with a real keyboard and you can have OSX and Windows 8. And for $1000 it doesn't even come close to the iPad's display. Sur-facepalm is DOA. The fringe element will laud it from their mom's basements though and wonder why nobody is buying it.
  • Reply 12 of 147

Fat, ugly, ugly stupid OS, will not feel any faster than the iPad, worse tablet experience, worse battery life, AV needed, will run very hot.

Stupid device for stupid people. the worse of both worlds.

• Reply 13 of 147
    philboogie wrote: »
    How about a positive post? The upgrade from 64 to 128GB for $100 seems cheap (then again, everything MS does feels that way) Oops

MS has had to eat some profit on the NAND by starting with more capacity than what other vendors use for mobile devices. The Surface RT at $499 has 32GB which seems like 2x as much capacity than the 16GB iPad but Surface RT needs about 16GB for the OS and pre-installed apps.

I expect the Surface Pro to come in at about 20GB which would give the remaining capacity for a 32GB model around 10GB of usable space. A 64GB and 128GB Surface would then have around 39GB and 100GB of usable capacity, respectively.

For those prices (which you also have to include an additional $129 for the TypeCover) I would rather just get a MBA. Or for those that really hate Apple then any Ultrabook would probably be a better fit overall.
  • Reply 14 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

MS has had to eat some profit on the NAND by starting with more capacity than what other vendors use for mobile devices. The Surface RT at $499 has 32GB which seems like 2x as much capacity than the 16GB iPad but Surface RT needs about 16GB for the OS and pre-installed apps.

I expect the Surface Pro to come in at about 20GB which would give the remaining capacity for a 32GB model around 10GB of usable space. A 64GB and 128GB Surface would then have around 39GB and 100GB of usable capacity, respectively.

For those prices (which you also have to include an additional $129 for the TypeCover) I would rather just get a MBA. Or for those that really hate Apple then any Ultrabook would probably be a better fit overall.

for now.. then you have OS updates, etc.

win7 easily goes over 30gb.

• Reply 15 of 147
    I actually like windows 8. I don't say nice things about Windows very often, but I actually like what Microsoft has been doing lately.
  • Reply 16 of 147
    tjwaltjwal Posts: 404member
    If Microsoft can add another 64 Gb by $100 why does Apple charge that much for an extra 16 Gb.
  • Reply 17 of 147
    Good luck.
  • Reply 18 of 147
    for now.. then you have OS updates, etc.

win7 easily goes over 30gb.

I'm basing mine estimate on their system requirements for WIn8: "Hard disk space: 16 GB (32-bit) or 20 GB (64-bit)." That doesn't include Office or any other apps that might come standard on the device, but it also doesn't include any code or drivers that might be removed because it's not needed on the Surface Pro, so I left it at 20GB.
  • Reply 19 of 147
    Are they serious? Lol
  • Reply 20 of 147

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjwal View Post

If Microsoft can add another 64 Gb by $100 why does Apple charge that much for an extra 16 Gb.

or... they charge the same for doubling memory.