First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 41 of 242

Downloaded from Apple Downloads as the Software and look forward to messing around with it.

Airuser

• Reply 42 of 242

I can't find cover flow for movies or sorting movie with art by date added.  Not happy.

• Reply 43 of 242
    no scrubbing in mini-player = a downgrade in my book
  • Reply 44 of 242

have you guys noticed the colors on the sidebar (if you enable the sidebar)?

That's Ive, isn't it? :)

• Reply 45 of 242
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Just upgraded and overall I think its an improvement. But it still bloody well jumbles up tracks on CD's! Just put in a CD I like - to rip and none of the tracks were in order 2-12-4-7 etc...only iTunes seems to do this. Which might not be so bad if you could easily re-order them correctly, but there seems to be no way to do this, just like in previous iterations. Which is why of late I'm ripping new CD's to Windows media player, where this annoying bug doesn't occur! Also as a side bar Safari for Windows is so much slower than other web-browsers...maybe all Apple software for the Windows platform is crap, very frustrating!
  • Reply 46 of 242

I just love this view. It's clean, crisp, and really lets me focus on just the artist I want. Yeah, it was there before, but this whole overall look is actually very inviting. 

• Reply 47 of 242

I rip my movies and add them.  I don't see the Show rating in the title any more.

Not updating this one at home.

• Reply 48 of 242
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why offer both? It's needlessly confusing. Get rid of the maximize button and let the green button perform that function. Now I have two buttons on opposite sides of the screen performing roughly the same function.

Ever used OS X Lion or Mountain Lion? Because that fullscreen mode was added to all major Apple applications since Lion shipped. And they usually do quite different things.

- Maximise button: Menu bar still there with the application menus and the right side menu bar icons, Dock still there

- Fullscreen mode: In most applications a clearly simplified interface, you can swipe from one application to another

If you ever used fullscreen mode in Aperture or iPhoto, you would not mistake fullscreen mode for a maximised window, the UI is very different. The differences between the two modes might be smaller in iTunes but even applications that have fixed window size (like System Preferences) still have the three coloured buttons in the top left corners (though the green one is greyed out). So, for the sake of consistency, the three radio buttons are there in every single app. And if there is a use for a different fullscreen mode, adding it provides utility.

• Reply 49 of 242
    noahjnoahj Posts: 4,503member
    Sorry, but I'm right on this from the user's perspective. The functional differences are so slight, it is simply ridiculous. Get rid of one, either the green button or the maximize... or put them right next to each other on the left hand side, or all on the right hand side. Wasted motion is bad design. This is poorly thought out on Apple's part.
    Seriously? Just because you feel that way you are right and everyone else is wrong?

I'm sorry, but you are outvoted and therefore are obviously wrong. (See , that feels better doesn't it. Now you know you are wrong just because I said so. :no: )
  • Reply 50 of 242
    addicted44 wrote: »
    Why offer both? It's needlessly confusing. Get rid of the maximize button and let the green button perform that function. Now I have two buttons on opposite sides of the screen performing roughly the same function.
    Ummm...no. 

Full Screen is completely different from the green button. Maximize keeps you in the same desktop, while Full Screen creates a new space. There is a world of conceptual, and usage differences between the two.

I don't like the maximize option in ML. I can Cmd-Tab to another program but not Cmd-Tab back to the program that is in Full Screen. And don't get me started on the Full Screen mode in Aperture; it used to simply go 'Full Screen' by zooming in the photo; now it does this ML animation where the program shifts to a new workspace and there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it of. But I digress.
    And iTunes is one of the few buttons where the green button even means maximize. In most apps (e.g. Safari) it means best fit. Actually, technically, it means best fit in iTunes also, because the maximized fit is probably best fit for an iTunes library (at least on laptops...not tested it on a desktop).

That seems to be the case: it doesn't maximize the screen (as opposed to Full Screen) but simply restores the last Window Size (which is something different than maximize)
    2oh1 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm missing something really basic here.  I'm playing a playlist.  I click over to another playlist.  Where's the option to return to the currently playing playlist?

Does Cmd-L still work? I haven't downloaded v11; if things I'm used to get broken I'm not gonna like it. But I understand the colored icons are back? If so, bring it back in Aperture as well Apple!

I sure hope they left the tabular order in tact this time. They screw the order up with every-single-release.

PS sure hope the apostrophes won't get %u2019-ed
  • Reply 51 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I just love this view. It's clean, crisp, and really lets me focus on just the artist I want. Yeah, it was there before, but this whole overall look is actually very inviting. 

it's perfect, fantastic.

• Reply 52 of 242
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Sorry, but I'm right on this from the user's perspective. The functional differences are so slight, it is simply ridiculous. Get rid of one, either the green button or the maximize... or put them right next to each other on the left hand side, or all on the right hand side. Wasted motion is bad design. This is poorly thought out on Apple's part.

Have you been using fullscreen mode with other applications in Lion or Mountain Lion? There so many things that are hidden in fullscreen mode that a lot of people would not like use fullscreen mode for iTunes. Do you want to take the maximise function away from all those people to have one green disk less in the UI?

• Reply 53 of 242

I like the fact that it is very reminiscent of the iOS version (iPad especially.) It feels like an "Apple family" product. There's a sense of continuity and familiarity that, again, I just find *comforting*. Actually, this continuity is what I would naturally expect, insofar as it's possible, from app to app on device to device. So really, the "iOS-ification of OS X" (in certain areas) sits very well with me.

• Reply 54 of 242

I love the new interface. Just one minor thing, has anybody figured out to separate the different seasons of a TV Show. The default setting for the expanded view is to take the colour from the first season's artwork, even if say the artwork is completely different for the second season.

• Reply 55 of 242

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I love the new interface. Just one minor thing, has anybody figured out to separate the different seasons of a TV Show. The default setting for the expanded view is to take the colour from the first season's artwork, even if say the artwork is completely different for the second season.

See, I really don't think there is. If you'll notice, the season selector's on the top right of the dropdown. That it has a selector built into it makes me think that there's zero way of going back to the old one.

And that SUCKS, since they give so much frigging space to each episode's "button". A lot more scrolling that we wouldn't have otherwise had to do, plus the reasons you stated.

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I like the fact that it is very reminiscent of the iOS version (iPad especially.) It feels like an "Apple family" product. There's a sense of continuity and familiarity that, again, I just find *comforting*. Actually, this continuity is what I would naturally expect, insofar as it's possible, from app to app on device to device. So really, the "iOS-ification of OS X" (in certain areas) sits very well with me.

On the other hand, this is yet another application that I'm upset I can't touch to control… 

What happened to iTunes here is what will happen to Music in iOS (6.1? 7?), so take note of that, too.

• Reply 56 of 242
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Does Cmd-L still work?

It does, but I'm a visual person.  I always used the tiny icon that was (until now) at the right of the currently playing song at the top of iTunes.  Click to return to the currently playing song in the currently playing playlist.  Now, that's gone.

And the playlist order doesn't change to reflect the order it's playing in?  OY!  Click random/shuffle.  The playlist playes in a shuffled order, but the tracks aren't shown in the order they'll play in.  You have to look in the new Up Next dropdown for that - unless I'm missing something?  Hopefully I am because it's annoying to see a playlist but not be able to see the order it'll play in if shuffled.

• Reply 57 of 242
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

For the record, there's a LOT to like in the new iTunes, but I can't help thinking they should have held off until January 1st to finish polishing it off.

• Reply 58 of 242
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by addicted44 View Post

Ummm...no. 

Full Screen is completely different from the green button. Maximize keeps you in the same desktop, while Full Screen creates a new space. There is a world of conceptual, and usage differences between the two.

And iTunes is one of the few buttons where the green button even means maximize. In most apps (e.g. Safari) it means best fit. Actually, technically, it means best fit in iTunes also, because the maximized fit is probably best fit for an iTunes library (at least on laptops...not tested it on a desktop).

Not from my perspective. I agree with addicted44 that maximize and full screen are very different functions, and used for different purposes. Now whether they should be grouped better is a different question - possibly they should.

• Reply 59 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by ombra2105 View Post

I've also noticed that in the episode listings, some shows will display the ratings and/or the HD tag while others will not.

• Reply 60 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

Weird.  I also don't see a way to see the randomized track order in a playlist.  Previously, clicking random included the ability to see the playlist in the random order by clicking the far left column of track numbers.  Now, order doesn't change to match the randomized order.

The randomize button is identical to what you get in iOS. It's to the right of the playback timeline (top center of the GUI) directly after the track 'end' time.