First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 81 of 242
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

No, if you have shown the capabilities to get music from other sources, googling for the album art should be something very easy for you (and over the years there have been little tools like Fetch Art that should have helped you with this).

Correction: A little bit of searching on the interwebs found a partial solution. Click on the little disclosure triangle inside the search box and remove the checkbox next to 'Search Entire Library' and it defaults back to searching only in the currently selected context and it does almost live updating but it has a noticeably hesitation when updating the search results.

This ironic, iTunes 11 is faster generally but the thing that was lightning fast in basically ALL previous versions of iTunes was the searching (I never felt bothered much by any slowness of iTunes previously because what mattered most was to get to the content I was looking for fast and the search always delivered). Now what matters, the search, is slow.

• Reply 82 of 242

I think it looks cheap... I cannot minimize the window by double-clicking its title bar (or what's left of it), is somebody else having this problem? i find it really useful on all other applications...

• Reply 83 of 242
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Shuffle and repeat are now all or nothing - meaning - if you shuffle a playlist and then click to play a different playlist, or even play a song in the main library song list, iTunes is still set to shuffle.

Previously, iTunes remembered which playlists you had set to shuffle (or repeat).  Now, no.

Wow.  So many bugs.  Or are these simply poor design choices?  Actually, I'm guessing these are intentionally poor design choices Apple made in order to dumb down iTunes.

• Reply 84 of 242
    smalmsmalm Posts: 677member
    I hated the new mini player the very moment I opened it first time.

• Reply 85 of 242

I hate iTunes 11! I have a library of 30,000 songs and used cloverlfow as my default view. Now it's way to tedious and complicated to do the things I was before under the current set up. I'm going to try to uninstall. I already complained to apple. Hopefully they will add cover flow in a update in the immediate future. ...This sucks. I can't deny it anymore. Apple is falling off without Jobs.

• Reply 86 of 242
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Correction: A little bit of searching on the interwebs found a partial solution. Click on the little disclosure triangle inside the search box and remove the checkbox next to 'Search Entire Library' and it defaults back to searching only in the currently selected context and it does almost live updating but it has a noticeably hesitation when updating the search results.

This ironic, iTunes 11 is faster generally but the thing that was lightning fast in basically ALL previous versions of iTunes was the searching (I never felt bothered much by any slowness of iTunes previously because what mattered most was to get to the content I was looking for fast and the search always delivered). Now what matters, the search, is slow.

Thank you.  Holy cow am I glad to shut that popup off.

• Reply 87 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapeVerdeCas View Post

I hate iTunes 11! I have a library of 30,000 songs and used cloverlfow as my default view. Now it's way to tedious and complicated to do the things I was before under the current set up. I'm going to try to uninstall. I already complained to apple. Hopefully they will add cover flow in a update in the immediate future. ...This sucks. I can't deny it anymore. Apple is falling off without Jobs.

You're being a bit of a drama queen. Coverflow was just a horizontal scrolling selection for albums. Does the forced switch to vertical scrolling throw your world out of kilter?

Some of the posts in here are a bit amusing. At least they got it in before the Mayan calendar ends ;)

• Reply 88 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you try clicking on it?

Yes I did! When I click on it, it shows the songs but it doesn't start playing like it was in the previous iTunes

• Reply 89 of 242
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

The problem with the new search is that it no longer updates the results while you type. You have to pause typing for a short moment before it updates the results. Very lame. The coolest feature of iTunes taken away.

(To me the main thing about iTunes was that was a very effective and quick database. Look for anything, type a few characters and boom the result are there.)

• Reply 90 of 242

How the hell does one display the track play time in the Mini Player? I can't find an option to display it.

• Reply 91 of 242

The new Mini Player is revolting.

• Reply 92 of 242
    The CMD-J options pop up menu has changed as well
  • Reply 93 of 242
    Tickled but concerned, my music expenditure just shot up at least 150%, an easy facilty is made of purchasing with having the integrated iTunes Store which has improved phenomenally. Already I've made note of purchases from tracks I had previous revisited to see if recommendations had changed. There is more, and more frequently appropriate in content. Is that the D16 erroneously displayed at times? Some company? Regardless, I think what beastly characteristics have been addressed, as always there's something we'll find omitted but.... those around long enough know enough when to shrug those things off. PS- Apologies getting addicted to dictation ;)
  • Reply 94 of 242
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You're being a bit of a drama queen. Coverflow was just a horizontal scrolling selection for albums. Does the forced switch to vertical scrolling throw your world out of kilter?

Some of the posts in here are a bit amusing. At least they got it in before the Mayan calendar ends ;)

It's much different. And if you don't know that, learn about it before you post.

• Reply 95 of 242

Overall performance is pretty nice so far.  I've tried a five year old MacBook Pro running ML, a one week old HP laptop running Windows 8, an 18 month old Toshiba laptop running Windows 7 Pro and lastly, my home server which is an ancient Dell Poweredge 2800 running Windows Server 2008 R2.  Despite running Xeons, the Dell is not really faster compared to modern machines (even laptops).  But my 21,000 song library, movie and TV library is all on it.  So far, performance is pretty nice and one thing I've noticed is that no longer do I have to do without artwork in any mode while sharing the main library from the Dell.  It used to be that artwork never was rendered in older iTunes and only recently did you get some artwork in some modes in recent releases.  Now you get full artwork in all modes which means it's doing a better job caching and managing all of this.

On the downside, it seems like the ability to resize artwork is gone.  So you cannot control how many albums or movies you see in a screen.  Not sure why that was taken away.

• Reply 96 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

You're arguing that Apple should break their system-wide user interface guidelines for one app. That's not going to happen. Do you really think apps should modify standard behavior? It's better for the user when all apps are well-behaved. There is a big difference between a window that fills the screen and an app in its own space. When an app is in its own space, you can get to it quickly via Mission Control, or use three-finger swipes to move to that space. The app window  doesn't cover any other app and is not covered by another app. When you keep the iTunes window in one space, its window interacts with other app windows, covering them and being covered by them.

Interestingly enough, they broke their own HIG for the last series of UI changes in iTunes.

• Reply 97 of 242
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    "The xMac is a dream for idiots and people who aren't really professionals."

See, I can say things without explaining them, too.

and you usually do ...
  • Reply 98 of 242

I always liked the little bouncing bars view you could toggle into.  Looks like they're gone.

• Reply 99 of 242
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    walshbj wrote: »
    I always liked the little bouncing bars view you could toggle into.  Looks like they're gone.

that would be the equalizer ... and although that is still there (under the Window menu) i can't see where to enable the visuals.
  • Reply 100 of 242
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Why offer both? It's needlessly confusing. Get rid of the maximize button and let the green button perform that function. Now I have two buttons on opposite sides of the screen performing roughly the same function.

Thus far, it looks like I'm clicking more than ever to do the same thing. Not an improvement.

I do like the 'connected devices' indicator in the upper right.

You don't understand the purpose of the maximize button. The full screen button makes the app take up the whole screen. The maximize button drops the window down to the edge of the dock and widens the window in proportion to how much it dropped the windows down.