Apple releases redesigned iTunes 11 with iCloud integration for Mac, Windows

Comments

• Reply 61 of 111
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Then just use VLC 2.x.

Why exactly would I use that app? I only keep it around because of the codecs and containers it supports as a las resort, but thankfully I haven't had to use it in a couple years.

edit: I see, because it will look at what you have stored on your system. That isn't good enough for me. I hate that app with a passion.
  • Reply 62 of 111

Just upgraded to 11.

Now getting constant skipping while playing to local computer (MacBook) and AirPlay at the same time. Thanks Apple.

• Reply 63 of 111

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    I for one was eagerly looking for two improvements to iTunes anticipated to come with iTunes 11: Up Next feature and better iCloud/iTunes Match operability.  Notes so far:

Up Next - Apple still doesn't seem to have gotten this right.  iTunes has long been the only major music player that doesn't support a queuing feature - instead of immediately playing a song, album or playlist, add that song, album or playlist to the end of the "now playing" selection.  Up Next promises to change that, and does to a certain extent.  Now, you can view (partially) the present queue by selecting the Up Next icon in the playing window.  And you can add a new song or album to that Up Next list, in two different ways: right clicking and selection "Play Next" or right clicking and selecting "Add to Up Next".  There are two problems with this feature: First, there doesn't appear to be a difference between "Play Next" and "Add to Up Next" - they both simply add the selection to the head of the Up Next queue.  One would think that "Play Next" would add to the front of the queue, while "Add to Up Next" would add the selection to the end of the "Up Next" queue.  As it is, there is no discernible reason to have both of these options, as they appear to do the exact same thing. Second, the pop-up window that shows the "Up Next" queue doesn't show the full queue, only the next 15 or so songs.  If the present queue is longer than that, it won't show the additional songs until the top of the queue clears out.  This may be related to why it's not possible to make the "Add to Up Next" function work as an "add to end of queue" function.  In any event, this seems to be yet another missed opportunity to implement this long-missing feature.

iCloud/iTunes Match Operability - This feature has long seemed unstable at best and at worst leads to losing songs and metadata, including album artwork, etc.  In some ways, iTunes 11 does improve this - items all seem to appear in the correct locations, and are cross referenced in different but mainly better ways.  It may take some getting used to, but it does appear better, with one big exception: I experienced a major glitch when I went to delete what appeared to be a duplicated song from an album, in that not only the individual song that I selected was deleted, but the entire album and all music from that artist was also deleted.  Because it was deleted from iCloud, it's been deleted from all devices that sync to that account. Not only was this a fairly extreme error on the part of the software, there is no Undo function, and apparently no ability to retrieve the deleted items.  My only hope of retrieving it (it was not purchased through iTunes) is to find it on a device to which it was originally ripped, and hope that iCloud/iTunes Match hasn't deleted those original files.  Notas this a fairly extreme error on the part of the software, there is no Undo function, and apparently no ability to retrieve the deleted items.  This is a pretty dramatic failing, and could cause quite a stir among users if not addressed immediately.

Anyone else seeing these issues?  Also, any word on whether the Up Next feature (after it is hopefully fixed) gets rolled out to iOS?

• Reply 64 of 111

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spamboy View Post

Cool. Just to be clear about what I mean. My current setup has a column to the left with Music, Store, Playlists, etc. with album artwork underneath. Then I have panes in the main part of the window where I have Column Browser's Artists and Albums on top, and a list of songs below. Can I arrange it pretty similarly?

I guess I don't really get what you mean, but this is how mine is setup for the moment using iTunes 11.  

• Reply 65 of 111

Ghostface:

OK, all upgraded. My old setup is below, and can be configured the same way in 11 except for the album art in the bottom left. Now it's tiny and appears next to the song at the top. Thanks.

• Reply 66 of 111

Quote:

OK, here's my setup:

Thanks for indulging me. Your answers have been perfect. I guess I don't have any choice but to upgrade anyhow. Thanks again.

Ah yes.  I saw that look when clicking around.  However I didn't see anything that allows the album art on the bottom left.  

• Reply 67 of 111

Quote:

Ghostface:

OK, all upgraded. My old setup is below, and can be configured the same way in 11 except for the album art in the bottom left. Now it's tiny and appears next to the song at the top. Thanks.

Yup, this column browser is still there. The only thing missing seems to be the album cover window for the selected/playing item. At least I can't find it.

• Reply 68 of 111

It's still there if you go to View > Show Sidebar.

• Reply 69 of 111

Wonder if the Dock Popup is back again, but hidden. I'll wait for the next update to Secrets and see.

• Reply 70 of 111
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Yes!

It already was...

• Reply 71 of 111

no scrubbing in mini-player = a downgrade in my book

• Reply 72 of 111

Observations:

Cover Flow does seem to be gone but a version of it lives in the iTunes Store.  Strange that you cannot control it with gestures, only mouse clicks.

The ability to have multiple iTunes windows open appears to be gone.  This is especially troublesome if you had a large library or were managing lots of playlists.

The UI overall is quite pleasant.  Response times seem to be speedy enough, even on the five year old MacBook Pro I tried it on.

No Leopard support (not sure if 10.7 had it either).

There are still some UI bugs that shouldn't be here.  I've seen misdrawn pages in the iTunes Store that shouldn't have happened (clicking another page and returning fixed the problem).  And I've seen in the new Album view if you ask for more information from the iTunes Store for like music, the column header sometimes comes in from the data element in question, not the proper headers of "Top Songs", "Top Albums", "Recommended Songs".  Instead it says "DI6.INTHESTORE.TOPSONGS" or "DI6.INTHESTORE.TOPALBUMS". It's hard to reproduce but I've seen it more than once.  I like the Album view though....very iOSish.

Songs in iCloud stream instead of downloading locally.  If you want it local, click the Cloud icon, much like iOS.

There is no more "Download Album Artwork".  This makes sense because if the iTunes Store has it and it's not cached locally, it will just get it now and not bother the user with having to do it manually.  But you still have to turn this feature on in "Preferences->Store".  I guess this is for people who roll their ownn artwork since iTunes might override it if it also has something in the cloud.

My elderly Windows 2008 R2 box stores my main iTunes household library including all 20K lossless files, 600 ripped and purchased movies and 1000+ TV episodes (half of which are cartoons from various DVD collections I've purchased).  I'm curious to see how the performance of that will be.  So far just doing this from iCloud is pretty nice.

• Reply 73 of 111

One more note:  I've seen the same glitch of the interface returning what is clearly a data element title instead of what the user should see on my iPhone as well in the App Store app, specifically with the Updates icon.  Oddly, it just cleared itself up while I was typing.  Very very strange.

Since this just happened on my iPhone, I'm guessing this is a server side bug.

• Reply 74 of 111
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

You can't always go back to an earlier version of iTunes, because sometimes the format of the iTunes Library file changes (for example, going from iTunes 9 back to 8 was a big problem). Before installing the new version, make a copy of the "iTunes LIbrary" and "iTunes Library.xml" files just in case.

• Reply 75 of 111
    hagarhagar Posts: 130member
    Happy to see that compatible versions of the iOS Remote app and VideoDrive (tool to add movies and tv shows to iTunes) have been released as well earlier today
  • Reply 76 of 111
    I found what I can only think is a bug. If I go to the Apple Store and search for "Buddy Guy" everything comes up as I would expect it to. If I search for "Beatles", I get a bunch of coded lists (e.g. SF6.SearchPage.song.....D16.Lockup.ArtistAndAlbum..., etc...). Beatle songs are interspersed between the codes, but they are mostly in a very, very, long column and not at all formatted the way the songs, then albums are for "Buddy Guy". I randomly get some with the "Guy" format and some with the "Beatles" format when I put in other artists.

Maybe it's all the acid the Beatles did in their "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" days?
  • Reply 77 of 111
    aeberhar wrote: »
    Is this finally a 64-bit binary?

It's 68000 code and it runs in a Mac OS 9 virtual box.
  • Reply 78 of 111

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

It's 68000 code and it runs in a Mac OS 9 virtual box.

There's already a team working to reverse-engineer it. They've been waiting for just this occasion since Classic was discontinued…

• Reply 79 of 111
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Can you change the size of the app text in preferences?  Old iTunes text is too small for me.

• Reply 80 of 111

I found what I can only think is a bug. If I go to the Apple Store and search for "Buddy Guy" everything comes up as I would expect it to. If I search for "Beatles", I get a bunch of coded lists (e.g. SF6.SearchPage.song.....D16.Lockup.ArtistAndAlbum..., etc...). Beatle songs are interspersed between the codes, but they are mostly in a very, very, long column and not at all formatted the way the songs, then albums are for "Buddy Guy". I randomly get some with the "Guy" format and some with the "Beatles" format when I put in other artists.

Maybe it's all the acid the Beatles did in their "Lucy In the Sky With Diamonds" days?

Can anyone else verify if this is what they are seeing?