First new iMacs roll out to customers in Australia

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Friday kicked off sales of its totally redesigned iMac all-in-one desktop, and customers in Australia are among the first to get their hands on Apple's newest all-in-one desktop.

New iMac

AppleInsider reader Ben managed to snag a 21.5-inch iMac just minutes after the computer launched in Apple Stores and authorized resellers on Friday local Australia time.

A quick check with various Australian retail locations found iMac supply was unsurprisingly concentrated at stores in larger cities like Sydney, while smaller outlets such as Canberra had yet to receive their allotments. This is in line with a statement from Apple CEO Tim Cook, who noted that there would be a "significant shortage" of iMacs in the fourth quarter.

Apple announced on Tuesday that it would be launching the revamped iMac on Friday, Nov. 30, just making the November ship-by date promised when the device was unveiled in October.

Starting tomorrow, the 21.5-inch model will be available through Apple's online and brick-and-mortar stores, as well as authorized dealers. Apple will also open up orders for the 27-inch model on through its online storefront, however those units won't ship until December

The 21.5-inch iMac features a 2.7-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor and Nvidia GeForce GT 640M graphics for a suggested retail price of $1,299. A faster 2.9-gigahertz model will be offered for $1,499.

The larger 27-inch iMac will have a 2.9-gigahertz quad-core Intel Core i5 and GeForce GTX 660M graphics for $1,799, while the 3.2-gigahertz model comes with GTX 675MX graphics and will cost $1,999.

iMac Box
Photos of the new iMac "trapezoidal" boxing.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 66
    So much for "Apple is doomed" Hey, it's still November, right?
  • Reply 2 of 66
    Phew - again!
  • Reply 3 of 66
    Any lines yet? Lol
  • Reply 4 of 66

trapezium box?

• Reply 5 of 66
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member

Still not available online though

http://store.apple.com/au/browse/home/shop_mac/family/imac

• Reply 6 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bretzelburg View Post

trapezium box?

That is a first for Apple, I think. But flip-flop stacking could save ~10-20% in shipping volume and, consequently, shipping costs?

• Reply 7 of 66

edit

• Reply 8 of 66
    Almost midday here in Melbourne and still no sign of the iMac's in the online store?
  • Reply 9 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by klif-e View Post

Almost midday here in Melbourne and still no sign of the iMac's in the online store?

I guess they can wait until 11:59 PM and still meet their "Available in November" promise...

• Reply 10 of 66
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    Humph :rolleyes:. New iTunes 11 flagged on the main (Oz) page but no iMac :no:. Still "coming Soon". Maybe the Oz page will update/refresh when the US one does. Even in that case it would have been nice for Apple to show willing for the "poor old" desktop here, though... sigh...
  • Reply 11 of 66
    wardcwardc Posts: 150member

The isosceles Mac, the "iMac" -- or at least the box

• Reply 12 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

That is a first for Apple, I think. But flip-flop stacking could save ~10-20% in shipping volume and, consequently, shipping costs?

Unless the top is half the width of the bottom they won't stack. And judging by the photos it ain't. The shipping costs argument is what a lot of forum members were attributing to the new thin design image

• Reply 13 of 66
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    It would have to be on weight alone then...
  • Reply 14 of 66
    I just want to see how much it will cost to upgrade to Fusion drive so i can save the right amount for the 27"when (if) it gets released.
  • Reply 15 of 66
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member

More units per container, I guess. I think the new packaging makes sense. I am surprised it's not tapered even more. The top edge is 10% the depth of the base. Even when accounting for the manuals, mouse and keyboard, I think the top edge of the packaging could be thinner.

hentaiboy wrote: »
    Unless the top is half the width of the bottom they won't stack.

I don't see why. Any ratio should do fine.

And judging by the photos it ain't. The shipping costs argument is what a lot of forum members were attributing to the new thin design :no:

It was a lame argument. It's a nice side effect, that's all.
  • Reply 16 of 66
    Does anyone know where to one today
  • Reply 17 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by hentaiboy View Post

Unless the top is half the width of the bottom they won't stack. And judging by the photos it ain't. The shipping costs argument is what a lot of forum members were attributing to the new thin design image

Not true. Whatever angle the box's bevel is, inverting the box inverts the angle and the boxes stack perfectly.

• Reply 18 of 66

So will they be available on the online store at 12:00am EST or PST? I wantz to know. 

• Reply 19 of 66

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsimpsen View Post

Not true. Whatever angle the box's bevel is, inverting the box inverts the angle and the boxes stack perfectly.

Damn you're right!

• Reply 20 of 66

"totally redesigned"?   not really.   the iMac is a great machine, the new ones are the nicest versions of this line so far, but this is not a total redesign,..

Switching from Bondi blue plastic with a CRT to an LCD panel in an aluminum case on a pedestal was a total redesign.   

The new version of the iMacs are certainly sweet computers, but I think I will hold out for one with a thinner edge.