Apple TV 5.1.1 update now available

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A new version of the Apple TV software was made available for second- and third-generation set-top boxes on Thursday.

The new Apple TV 5.1.1 update was issued alongside the new iTunes 11 available for Mac and Windows. Apple TV 5.1.1 can be downloaded through Software Update in the Settings application.

Apple said the update addresses a few security issues for the set-top box, including one that could allow an attacker to terminate arbitrary code. The build is identified as 10A831.

Apple TV

The last Apple TV software update was issued in October, but some users have reported serious issues after installing. It's unknown whether the latest build addresses those issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    "one that could allow an attacker to terminate arbitrary code"

Execute arbitrary code? Terminating arbitrary code doesn't sound like an especially useful vulnerability...
  • Reply 2 of 19
    ... cant wait
  • Reply 3 of 19

This update also has support for the 'Up Next' features in iTunes 11 and Apple Remote 3.0.

• Reply 4 of 19
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    They updated the remote app too. 3.0

Edit: guess I should read above me first. Sorry
  • Reply 5 of 19

After reading the issues folks had with the last update in Oct, I'll sit this one out for a bit.

• Reply 6 of 19
    Hopefully no problems.
  • Reply 7 of 19
    It's all good. Download was a few minutes, but it took about an hour to completely install. Don't know what's new, tho! :) Supposedly access to photostream and a few bug quashes...
  • Reply 8 of 19
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

My download took mere seconds. I'm guessing they are now doing alphas for ATV, so that's cool. The install took the typical 3-5 minutes. No issues to report as of yet although I don't use Music much on ATV.

• Reply 9 of 19
    eluardeluard Posts: 319member

This has un-bricked my Apple TV. Thanks Apple.

• Reply 10 of 19
    I wish they would make an update so I can use a keyboard...
  • Reply 11 of 19
    djrumpy wrote: »
    The install took the typical 3-5 minutes.

Wow, mine took over an hour!! Anyone know why that would be (not jailbroken anymore for the last 2 updates)
  • Reply 12 of 19
    One thing about this release is that it's a lot faster spooling up the content lists and art if you are using the Home Sharing. If you have a large library, it used to take several seconds for the Apple TV to bring up the content lists of Music, Movies or TV Shows. Now it's a lot faster and that makes it much more usable as a feature.

My iOS 6 devices in my house (iPhone 4 and iPhone 5) still take forever to spool up the list for my Home Sharing content. I'm hoping that whatever they did for the Apple TV shows up in the next iOS patch release one of these days.
  • Reply 13 of 19

Originally Posted by Mister Fishy View Post

I wish they would make an update so I can use a keyboard...

Use any iDevice.

• Reply 14 of 19

Seems as though Update has resolved the WiFi connection issue. Download takes time..............be prepared.

• Reply 15 of 19
    "Recently watched" list gone in Netflix. :-( Bring it back!
  • Reply 16 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SimonMTL View Post

Wow, mine took over an hour!! 

My ATV2 took about 4 minutes for the update while my ATV3 took well over an hour to the point that I thought it had stalled until I noticed the progress bar creeping along a pixel at a time... both were on 5.1 (with no issues) prior to the update and both took just a couple of minutes for the download part so I'm left wondering what extra stuff the ATV3 update was doing that took it so much longer...

• Reply 17 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveMcM76 View Post

My ATV2 took about 4 minutes for the update while my ATV3 took well over an hour to the point that I thought it had stalled until I noticed the progress bar creeping along a pixel at a time... both were on 5.1 (with no issues) prior to the update and both took just a couple of minutes for the download part so I'm left wondering what extra stuff the ATV3 update was doing that took it so much longer...

It's not the ATV3 that caused it. I updated two ATV3's and they took only minutes. Some other factor is in play.

• Reply 18 of 19

some peeps have this issue. try using wifi instead of ethernet if you indeed are on ethernet. It will go through the update process quickly.

i dont know why this works but it does, found the answer on apple support discussions

• Reply 19 of 19

That could be. Both of my ATV3's were WiFi.