First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 121 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Why would I want to start dragging a file just to see a playlist? It also only shows the devices and the 'purchased' playlist and any static lists,. The feature you describe is useful for moving or adding a file to a device or static list, but doing that to simply access your playlists makes no sense. The issue isn't about moving or adding a media file to a device. It's the fact that the playlist button only shows up under Music, rather than under movies, podcasts, music videos, etc. You can access all of them from Music though, which isn't intuative.

You can still see your playlists the old fashion way in the old "Side Bar" view by going to the "View" menu and selecting "Show Side Bar" to see the playlists the old fashion way.

This is an awesomely flexible iTunes, Keep playing with it and just grows on you.

• Reply 122 of 242

How about:  Sync; Transfer and Backup?

I have not figured out how to find these three functions and I wonder if they are no longer present.

• Reply 123 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by JupiterDoc View Post

How about:  Sync; Transfer and Backup?

I have not figured out how to find these three functions and I wonder if they are no longer present.

It is still there like it was before.  Go to the "View" menu and select "Show Side Bar" to see your devices the old fashion way.

If you're running iOS 6 you can sync and backup directly with iCloud. No need to connect to your computer.

Enjoy!

• Reply 124 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

You can still see your playlists the old fashion way in the old "Side Bar" view

This is an awesomely flexible iTunes, Keep playing with it and just grows on you.

Oh the irony..lol ;)

I've already sent feedback to show the playlists button in each Library category that has playlists. They do this on the Apple TV, so this should be a no brainer. In the meantime, I'll just work in the 'Music' view for video playlists, as I like the left pane left in Context mode rather than the old sidebar.

Sidenote: Anyone else find it funny that the Feedback link still doesn't have a version for iTunes 11?

• Reply 125 of 242

'+' button for Playlists is on the left but the drag & drop list appears on the right.  How is this logical!

• Reply 126 of 242
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    iTunes 11 is a little bit of a nice redesign, but I'm not feeling the "beef" in it.
    walueg wrote: »
    Podcasts don't sync across devices yet. Am I supposed to delete the podcasts in iTunes for them to sync to my iPhone and iPad (which do sync BTW)?

I like iCatcher for my iOS devices. Syncing Podcasts the normal Apple way was driving me totally nuts.
  • Reply 127 of 242
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member

I like some of the changes but the one annoyance is the destandardization of "tabs".

Why aren't tabs drawn such that they communicate the fact that they are a "tab". With the newly destrandardized widgets, there is no longer a visual distinction between a button and a tab. In fact, we don't even have a word to describe the bastardized tabs... because they are no longer drawn as tabs.

Think for a second how you would verbally walk someone through using the interface... would you use the word "tab"? Would they know what you're talking about if you did?

Come on apple, stylish interfaces are nice but they don't have to come at the expense of usability. Tabs could have been given a fresh look without ruining their distinctive, self-explanatory visual representation.

Edit: This creeping interface destandardization started a while ago but I'm just now getting around to ranting about it. There's no reason tabs can't be visually distinct from action buttons.

• Reply 128 of 242

I was astonished that there is no visual differentiation here:

ONE of these needs to be darker or colored or SOMETHING.

• Reply 129 of 242

Has anyone taken advantage of the Mastered For iTune music? If so, any comments?

• Reply 130 of 242
    sjksjk Posts: 603member

[...]

Edit: You can also just delete an iCloud download by selecting the item, and holding down Alt + Delete and selecting the option to delete the iCloud download if you just don't want or need that download to show up anywhere. Just remember this will probably remove it from all devices.

Sounds similar to using Option-Delete to permanently delete items selected in (smart) playlists.

I'd sure like to know how long will current iCloud items will be retained before deleting local copies.

I've already sent feedback to show the playlists button in each Library category that has playlists. They do this on the Apple TV, so this should be a no brainer. In the meantime, I'll just work in the 'Music' view for video playlists, as I like the left pane left in Context mode rather than the old sidebar.

I'll also send Apple some feedback about Playlists enhancements.  Likely I'll prefer normally keeping the traditional sidebar hidden, too.

[OT:Is there a way to disable AI's WYSIWYG editor?  It's way more interfering than useful for me while composing/editing inline quoted replies.]

• Reply 131 of 242
    I'm sorry but I just don't like this update. I know they are trying to make it more like the iPad and iPhone version but the reality is there needs to be a difference. iPad and iPhone are used for simply browsing and enjoying your media and for that, sure iTunes 11 is great BUT the majority of people who use iTunes on their computers are also using it to organize their media and for that it is a nightmare. I feel like apple focused this new iTunes on people who get every single piece of media they have from the iTunes Store, and that simple just isn't the case. The artist view is terrible, tv shows eliminates all your shows artwork except the one you've chosen as your grid cover, there is no reason they had to get rid of the slider to enlarge your icons (I have about 17 different tv series and the rest of my screen is wasted space... I want to SEE the covers) & why is it that every time they release a new iTunes they get rid of the grey background in grid mode?!? Try spending 30 mins at night organizing your music with that bright white and see how your eyes feel. I don't care about the animations and colors and having a synopsis for every movie and tv shows, I just want to organize my media, have it look good and have it easy to go through.

I'm sure a lot of people are enjoying this and I wish I was you right now because I am an apple fanatic, but for me, this new iTunes looks real pretty but is a huge step back in organizing my media.
  • Reply 132 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbalmer View Post

I'm sorry but I just don't like this update. I know they are trying to make it more like the iPad and iPhone version but the reality is there needs to be a difference. iPad and iPhone are used for simply browsing and enjoying your media and for that, sure iTunes 11 is great BUT the majority of people who use iTunes on their computers are also using it to organize their media and for that it is a nightmare. I feel like apple focused this new iTunes on people who get every single piece of media they have from the iTunes Store, and that simple just isn't the case. The artist view is terrible, tv shows eliminates all your shows artwork except the one you've chosen as your grid cover, there is no reason they had to get rid of the slider to enlarge your icons (I have about 17 different tv series and the rest of my screen is wasted space... I want to SEE the covers) & why is it that every time they release a new iTunes they get rid of the grey background in grid mode?!? Try spending 30 mins at night organizing your music with that bright white and see how your eyes feel. I don't care about the animations and colors and having a synopsis for every movie and tv shows, I just want to organize my media, have it look good and have it easy to go through.

I'm sure a lot of people are enjoying this and I wish I was you right now because I am an apple fanatic, but for me, this new iTunes looks real pretty but is a huge step back in organizing my media.

The new iTunes 11 can be configured to look and behave like to older versions.  The media organization exactly the same.  It just has a different default presentation.

Try View->Show Sidebar and them press Songs across the top.  Boom!  There is your old iTunes.

This is an awesome piece of software.  Enjoy!

• Reply 133 of 242

Quote:

So far my biggest gripe is the lack of easy access to Playlists, which has prompted me to turn the sidebar back on. If someone uses iTunes to focus on one specific type of media, this will vastly simplify their experience. They made an odd choice of hiding the playlist button for all except for music. That button then in turns shows all playlists for Music, Movies, Podcasts, etc. What they should have done is logically shown a playlist button if you have playlists for the associated media type.

Which of the five tabs (currently visible in the Movies section) would you have sacrificed for a Playlists tab? And can you make the argument that more people actually create playlists out of movies than would use the tab button you just sacrificed?

• Reply 134 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Which of the five tabs (currently visible in the Movies section) would you have sacrificed for a Playlists tab? And can you make the argument that more people actually create playlists out of movies than would use the tab button you just sacrificed?

LOL..is there some shortage of horizontal space? Seriously?

• Reply 135 of 242

Anyone else notice the lack of a direct link to Ringtones or Tones under Music on iTunes 11?  I can "search" for ringtones and tones on the music section but its harder to find & there's no longer a category for ringtones or tones even when searching.  I'm curious if its just me and or why this is the case.

Sure there's a tone of ringtone apps out there to generate my own ringtones but I'm a busy guy and sometimes I just want a freaking ringtone in a hurry, and I'm just finding it harder than crap to find them in iTunes 11....

Chris Powers

• Reply 136 of 242

Originally Posted by rbalmer View Post

iPad and iPhone are used for simply browsing and enjoying your media…

Really? I find that the people who forcibly want to limit what iDevices "can do" are the ones who don't even do such things at all.

…the majority of people who use iTunes on their computers are also using it to organize their media and for that it is a nightmare.

In what way? Just the brightness?

I feel like apple focused this new iTunes on people who get every single piece of media they have from the iTunes Store, and that simple just isn't the case.

But why should they have to make considerations for anyone else? Think about it. iTunes started as software for people with their own physical libraries. There WAS no store. Now it's designed as software for people without physical libraries; not a single CD or tape to their name. It's called progress.

…tv shows eliminates all your shows artwork except the one you've chosen as your grid cover, there is no reason they had to get rid of the slider to enlarge your icons (I have about 17 different tv series and the rest of my screen is wasted space… I want to SEE the covers) & why is it that every time they release a new iTunes they get rid of the grey background in grid mode?!?

While I agree with all of these, none of them have anything to do with it beyond how it looks; not how it works. They don't "always get rid of the black background". They never have before. Someone said his was stuck on it in iTunes 11, which means it's still there in some form.

I just want to organize my media, have it look good and have it easy to go through.

I'm sure Secrets (or 11.0.1) will fix things.

• Reply 137 of 242
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike Fix View Post

It's iTunes for children and old people.

So which of the two best describes you?

Quote:

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

Have you been using fullscreen mode with other applications in Lion or Mountain Lion? There so many things that are hidden in fullscreen mode that a lot of people would not like use fullscreen mode for iTunes. Do you want to take the maximise function away from all those people to have one green disk less in the UI?

I'm one of those people who do not like full screen in several apps.  Aperture is one.  I don't use it enough to remember all the key commands and when you go to full screen a lot is removed from the GUI.  With that being said though I like the idea of full-screen and I'm sure it's a useful feature for heavy-users.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2oh1 View Post

For the record, there's a LOT to like in the new iTunes, but I can't help thinking they should have held off until January 1st to finish polishing it off.

Oh man the outrage would be tremendous, the only thing would hear would be cries of "If Steve were still around this would have never happened!"  Oh, wait.. 

• Reply 138 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by CGJ View Post

What I do like, however, is the album view. I really like the way iTunes takes the colour scheme of the album artwork, it looks great. I only wish they'd group the album into one, though, rather than separating one album into multiple pieces if there is a different artist. I have over 7 different 'NOW' album lists, yet in reality it's one album.

It looks great but is of little use to people like me that have tons of individual songs (ie, only one song per album). I can go with the flow and keep the sidebar hidden but in the end I will always go back to list view for all categories. Once you have to scroll, list views just reduce the amount of necessary scrolling considerably.

• Reply 139 of 242
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Not really my cup of tea. Rightly or wrongly, using web technologies in a product makes it feel cheap. I think it's because the web is full of ads. It's fine for a custom app on a corporate desktop, but not for a consumer product which should have an air of quality.

In this new version of iTunes, far from reducing the "webiness" they seem to have expanded it, even the non-store views, I could swear they're done with Webkit, they just have that feel about them.

• Reply 140 of 242

Quote:

LOL..is there some shortage of horizontal space? Seriously?

No, but there is a maximum of clutter they don't want to exceed. You can argue it should be six instead of five tabs but you cannot easily argue that there should be twelve tabs. There is a point where things start to look cluttered and Apple drew the line at five.