Apple's 21.5-inch and 27-inch iMacs now available for order online

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Friday made both models of its new all-in-one available for order through the Online Apple Store following a rollout to brick-and-mortar locations worldwide, with the smaller 21.5-inch version seeing a short delivery lead time while the 27-inch iMac is set to ship later in December.

iMac Apple Store

After more than 12 hours of availability at physical Apple Stores and authorized retailers, Apple's new iMac was finally added to the company's online storefront early Friday morning.

The redesigned all-in-one is now available for order in the U.S. as well as in number of international Online Apple Stores, including Australia, Canada and select European countries, a change from early Friday when the unit could only be purchased at a brick-and-mortar outlet.

Current ship-by dates are one to three days for the standard 21.5-inch model, which jumps to seven to ten days with build-to-order options, while the 27-inch version is expected to ship in two to three weeks. Configuring the larger iMac has no effect on its delivery quote.

Prices range from $1,299 for a non-configured 21.5-inch unit with a 2.7GHz Intel Core i5 processor, to well over $4,300 for the top-of-the-line 27-inch model.

Buy and save

Shoppers can get a better deal preordering the new iMac with AppleCare through B&H Photo, which has partnered with AppleInsider to offer exclusive discounts. The Apple-authorized reseller is running a "Buy Together and Save" promotion that offers 50 percent off AppleCare 3-year extended warranty plans (normally $249 to $349) when purchased alongside a new Mac.

Simply go to B&H Photo, add either the 21.5- or 27-inch iMac to your cart, select a free piece of bundled software, and then click the "COMPUTER ACCESSORIES" option from the menu on the lower left. Now, add the discounted AppleCare protection plan for your Mac by choosing "Select Item."

AppleCare for both the 21.5- and 27-inch iMacs is available for just $61 through B&H Photo for AppleInsider readers.

Special deals are also available through Apple-authorized reseller MacMall, which is offering all four base iMac models along with configuration options. Customers also receive a free copy of Parallels, a $79.99 value, and MacMall also offers financing with an extra $20 off and no payments or interest for six months.

MacMall is offering the Core i5 2.7-gigahertz 21.5-inch iMac for $1,294, while the Core i5 2.9-gigahertz 21.5-inch model is $1,494. Customers can also buy the 27-inch model with a Core i5 2.9-gigahertz processor for $1,794, while the big-screen model with a Core i5 3.2-gigahertz processor is $1,994.

iMac Prices
U.S. iMac price list. | Source: Apple

Apple announced on Tuesday that the iMac would go on sale this Friday, just making the self-imposed November deadline the company set for itself when the machine was unveiled in October. Previously, CEO Tim Cook said there would be a significant supply shortage, but failed to elaborate on what was causing the delay.

The redesigned iMac boasts an aluminum that is only 5-millimeters thick at its edge and also features a reengineered display which Apple claims reduces reflections by 75 percent. Speed has also been increased thanks to new quad-core Intel silicon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics processors, the latter of which is said to deliver up to a 60 percent boost in performance.

Also new is the Fusion Drive, a hybrid hard drive solution that combines the performance of solid-state media with the capacity and affordability of a hard drive. Apple solution couples 128-gigabytes of flash memory with a standard hard drive to create a single storage volume that intelligently manages frequently-used files and programs to optimize performance.

There have already been teardowns and unboxing videos posted to the web, and online benchmarks for each configuration of the 21.5-inch model are sure to follow.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    YeeePeee !!! I just ordered this sweet baby !!!

Available to ship: 2 - 3 Weeks Delivers Dec 24 - Dec 31 by Standard Shipping
    Part number: Z0MS

Hardware

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
    8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x4GB
    768GB Flash Storage
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Apple Wireless Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
    Accessory Kit

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Merry Christmas to me !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!
  • Reply 2 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuffyzDead View Post

Hardware

768GB Flash Storage

Apple Magic Mouse

Accessory Kit

image image image image image image image image image

Merry Christmas to me !!

Merry Christmas to me !!

Merry Christmas to me !!

Merry Christmas to me !!

Very nice, indeed! That would be my ideal config as well, pretty much maxed out. (Except for RAM, of course, which is easily done for cheaper elsewhere). But at $3650, that's too rich for my blood. I'll have to "settle" for the very base $1799 or maybe stretch it a little bit and go for the $1999 version with better GFX and small CPU speed bump.

Can't wait to get mine either as I'll be upgrading from a 2008 Core 2 Duo. 

• Reply 3 of 27

Quote:

Hardware

768GB Flash Storage

Apple Magic Mouse

Accessory Kit

image image image image image image image image image

Merry Christmas to me !!

Merry Christmas to me !!

Merry Christmas to me !!

Merry Christmas to me !!

Very nice, indeed! That would be my ideal config as well, pretty much maxed out. (Except for RAM, of course, which is easily done for cheaper elsewhere). But at $3650, that's too rich for my blood. I'll have to "settle" for the very base $1799 or maybe stretch it a little bit and go for the $1999 version with better GFX and small CPU speed bump.

Can't wait to get mine either as I'll be upgrading from a 2008 Core 2 Duo. 

• Reply 4 of 27

Super pumped for these. I need to update my iMac, so here's hoping Santa/the wife are nice to me this year!

http://www.growyourfish.com

• Reply 5 of 27
    Great by December like said.
  • Reply 6 of 27
    BuffyzDead wrote: »
    Hardware
    768GB Flash Storage
    Apple Magic Mouse
    Accessory Kit
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
    Merry Christmas to me !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!
    Merry Christmas to me !!

Post/PM xbench results on that flash storage when you can, please. I'm debating getting a fusion drive and doing thunderbolt external SSD for the VMs. Over $1300 for the step is kinda ouch.
  • Reply 7 of 27

My late 2006 is still going strong but it was time.

And I probably BTO waaaay more than I needed. image

• Reply 8 of 27

Including Apple's usual rip off prices for additional upgrades. £1,040 for the 768GB SSD is obscene.

• Reply 9 of 27
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member

Ordered mine at 6am.

Went for the 27, maxed out with 3TB Fusion drive, top CPU and top video card.

Base RAM though as you always save a few hundred buying aftermarket and it doesn't void apple's service contracts. Found 32GB RAM for 144 on Newegg! I have never had nearly that much RAM before. Exciting stuff.

• Reply 10 of 27

Originally Posted by Odysseus1923 View Post

Including Apple's usual rip off prices for additional upgrades. £1,040 for the 768GB SSD is obscene.

Blah de blah de blah. Put one in yourself, then. Do you know what brand they use?

• Reply 11 of 27
    Blah de blah de blah. Put one in yourself, then. Do you know what brand they use?

Other complications with using a non-apple "Flash Storage"; form-factor, soldered on perhaps, and TRIM come to mind. Flash Storage is not synonymous with SSD. I use Trim Enabler on my MBPs.

Edit: I'm not agreeing that it's a rip, btw. 768 GBs aren't available from other providers.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

My late 2006 is still going strong but it was time.

And I probably BTO waaaay more than I needed. image

That's what I'm considering. I'll then upgrade the RAM to 32GB myself. £100 vs. £480 - it's a no-brainer.

Almost tempted to go for the stock HDD and upgrade that myself too, but HDD upgrades are a PITA.

• Reply 13 of 27
    christophb wrote: »
    Post/PM xbench results on that flash storage when you can, please. I'm debating getting a fusion drive and doing thunderbolt external SSD for the VMs. Over $1300 for the step is kinda ouch.

Will Do.

And yes, I do agree that $1300 was way steep.

My justifications were:

1) I use 6TB external drives (3 - 1TB Mirrored drives), where all my Media lives, (Music, Photo's and Movies).
    I'll need one Apple Thunderbolt to FireWire Adapter. Anyway, ..so the 3TB Fusion was a non starter for me.
    I'll expect the the 768GB flash drive to be super zippy for large Movie and Photo editing.

2) I use One 3TB Time Machine Drive

3) The new iMac will be replacing my 2008 24" iMac, which maxes out at 6GB Ram.
    When I have a lot of apps running, while editing, I see too many spinning beach balls for my liking.
    Found a new home, for this perfectly running iMac, in my son's room. He is psyched, as it's replacing his 2006 iMac, stuck on Snow Leopard.

4) I purchased the whole thing on a 24 month Interest Free CC. I buy every large purchase this way. For me, it's same as cash, broken up into 23 equal payments.
    This part was a no-brainer.

5) I am extremely responsible, with a decent job, immaculate credit, ....and sometimes you just have to say ...WTF!!
  • Reply 14 of 27

Quote:

4) I purchased the whole thing on a 24 month Interest Free CC. I buy every large purchase this way. For me, it's same as cash, broken up into 23 equal payments.

This part was a no-brainer.

+1

The no-interest option is money in the bank coupled with Apple's $100.00 Educational Discount

• Reply 15 of 27
    nagrommenagromme Posts: 2,834member
    Love how compact the new 21.5-incher looks and is. A great spiritual successor to the original AIO Mac. If someone, years ago, had said %u201Cimagine a classic Mac, done in NeXT style, as it would look in the year 2200%u201D that%u2019s what it would have been. (Now, of course, we know the mouse and trackpad will be a mere curiosities by then! Along with non-radioactive air, drinking water, and animals with less than 5 legs. Oh, well.)
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Just ordered mine! 27", 3.4Ghz, 3Tb fusion HDD, 2gb video card. Kept the ram default because its easy enough and cheaper to replace on your own. Can't wait to get it!
  • Reply 17 of 27

My dream 27" configuration put me above $3,000. In the past, I'd been able to hold it closer to $2,500. But in the past, there was no fusion drive and much lower RAM. I can live with that. Just like I'll be living with my seems-slow-now 27" iMac from the last upgrade cycle.

I wonder how many are going to spring for the $600 32 GB RAM option vs. the 16 GB upgrade for $200.

• Reply 18 of 27
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bugsnw View Post

I wonder how many are going to spring for the $600 32 GB RAM option vs. the 16 GB upgrade for $200.

I'd guess that the 32GB option only exists to make the 16GB option look more attractive. Anyone who wants/needs 32GB will know how to install it themselves.

• Reply 19 of 27

I love that it's possible to install more RAM on the 21.5". I didn't think it made much sense to have one set of boards with soldered RAM and one set without.  Now, getting in there… 

• Reply 20 of 27

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I love that it's possible to install more RAM on the 21.5". I didn't think it made much sense to have one set of boards with soldered RAM and one set without.  Now, getting in there… 

I think you meant that it's "not" possible to install more RAM on the 21.5".  Only the 27" allows it.  Why is simple, to induce customers to order their more expensive computer.  While I don't have the data to back it up I'm almost sure the highest selling iMac has always been the 21.5" with the minimum amount of RAM.  Customers were wise to Apple's overpriced memory configurations and intended to install it on their own for a quarter of the price.  So, Apple's gotten around that by not allowing it in their smaller screen model.  It's a slimy move in my opinion.