Attention Applescript maniacs! I need your help with Photoshop

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am scanning in 1000+ old non-sports card collection (Superman, Wild-West, Look-n-See, and so on) from the 1930s - 1955 and would like to have an applescript to help me take the tediousness out of it.

Here is what I need it to do:

1) Open new PhotoShop window with the image selection I made.

2) Paste image into new window.

3) Save to web

4) Set settings to low quality JPEG

5) Activate save

The end at which I enter in a file name. I tried "recording" with Applescript, but it doesnt seem to work. I always thought PS5.5 was highly scriptable. So, if anyone can help me I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Matt

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Actually, I don't think PhotoShop is scriptable out of the box. I think you need a 3rdparty tool. :eek:
  • Reply 2 of 9
    allinoneallinone Posts: 279member
    [quote]Originally posted by MajorMatt:

<strong>I am scanning in 1000+ old non-sports card collection (Superman, Wild-West, Look-n-See, and so on) from the 1930s - 1955 and would like to have an applescript to help me take the tediousness out of it.

Here is what I need it to do:

1) Open new PhotoShop window with the image selection I made.

2) Paste image into new window.

3) Save to web

4) Set settings to low quality JPEG

5) Activate save

The end at which I enter in a file name. I tried "recording" with Applescript, but it doesnt seem to work. I always thought PS5.5 was highly scriptable. So, if anyone can help me I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks,

-Matt</strong><hr></blockquote>

Record a Photoshop Action. It's better in 6.0 but I think you can do everything you described in 5.5.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    I wouldn't know how to do that with Applescript, but you can do that kind of thing with Photoshop's own "Actions" feature, which is a kind of scripting or macro recording.

Show the "Actions" window.

Create a new Action and give it a name (and also a keyboard shortcut if you want)

Start recording the Action

Perform the different steps you wish to be part of the Action.

Stop recording the Action

Now, each time you run the Action, the same series of steps is executed.

I have actions like "resize to 475 pixels square and save as medium quality jpeg" or "resize to 175 pixels square, change color mode, save as gif" and these save me lots of repetitive steps for creating CD cover proofs or thumbnails.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    There's lot of tools to turn a folder of images into a web page with thumbnails. Why not just scan scan scan then worry about the web page later?
  • Reply 5 of 9
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    I am scanning these images in batches of nine, and I digitally cut each card out. Thus my need for this.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    I see.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Forgive my manners!

The action thing saved me a few clicks and keystrokes x 293, thanks for helping me save this amount of time. Sadly, I cannot put the entire collection on the measly 20megs alloted by the iDisk.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    You can buy more space on an iDisk if it is important to you...
  • Reply 9 of 9
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Just make more iDisks. I have 10!