Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

inane comment or sarcasm????????  

please advise which one?

He isn't capable of sarcasm.

/s

• Reply 24 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"Limited supply" or wildly enthusiastic demand?

Limited supply.

I looked at getting the 27" model, but after spec'ing it high enough to be a useful replacement for my current desktop, I was sitting at $2,499.00, not including a RAM upgrade. Which, btw, 200 bucks for 40 dollars worth of RAM, Apple? The hell do you think you're kidding? Anyone who says the "Apple Tax" is a myth, yeah, Exhibit A, right here.

Anyway, gorgeous screen, gorgeous design, only complaint I've heard is lack of physical drive which I don't need, and less than stellar sound which doesn't matter because I have 300 dollar speakers anyway, but $2,500 is a bit more than I can justify right now. Maybe next year.

• Reply 25 of 34
    So it matches expectations
    Oh no more fighting.
  • Reply 26 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

"Limited supply" or wildly enthusiastic demand?

Prior rumors suggested problems with the new display process. I wouldn't limit it to one or the other.

• Reply 27 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    cash907 wrote: »
    Limited supply.

I looked at getting the 27" model, but after spec'ing it high enough to be a useful replacement for my current desktop, I was sitting at $2,499.00, not including a RAM upgrade. Which, btw, 200 bucks for 40 dollars worth of RAM, Apple? The hell do you think you're kidding? Anyone who says the "Apple Tax" is a myth, yeah, Exhibit A, right here.
    Anyway, gorgeous screen, gorgeous design, only complaint I've heard is lack of physical drive which I don't need, and less than stellar sound which doesn't matter because I have 300 dollar speakers anyway, but $2,500 is a bit more than I can justify right now. Maybe next year.

First, it's not $40 worth of RAM. Why not price equivalent quality and speed SO-DIMMs from a reputable supplier. It's more like $140 worth of RAM the last time I checked.

Second, ALL computer vendors charge high margins for upgrades. That's the nature of the business.

Finally, before you claim that it's due to the "Apple Tax", you have to show a comparable 27" AIO of comparable build quality, performance, and so on for less. So where can you buy a comparable 27" for less?

ETA:
    I just checked and the price has come down. 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz SO-DIMMs are now $49 each from 18004memory - which is generally one of the best places to buy Mac RAM. So Apple is charging $200 for $100 worth of RAM - which is not the least bit out of line. For example, Dell charges $175 to upgrade to 16 GB - and that's 4 x 4 GB which should be cheaper than the 2 x 8 GB Apple uses. Also, Apple's RAM specs have traditionally been higher than the rest of the industry.
  • Reply 28 of 34

First, I really don't understand why every time an Apple product comes out, the first thing people are bitching about is the price. Okay, it has always been the case that Apple products do cost more than the others - And it is because of much much better quality for product they build and they have not only functional, but they are in many cases a piece of art. I would rather put this product in my living room v/s HP's All-in-One product. So please, stop complaining about the cost as Apple has never claimed they are cheaper. It's like Bugati will cost you a million and if I don't want to pay that I can go with Lambo for 1/3 the price! If you don't want to pay the price - Just move along!

Now as far as "Limited supply" or "High Demand" - First, this product was not suppose to be available until December! They moved up the date and have it available sooner. I am sure they understand the supply chain aspect much better than all of the whiners on this board. It is certainly the case of "Enthusiasm" for this product. It certainly is something that is not very easy to predict.

• Reply 29 of 34
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    saarek wrote: »
    Absolutely right, this entire refresh cycle was a HUGE screwup. Hopefully the right heads will roll in time for this.

What's scary is probably the ~wrong~ heads will roll to cover the a**es of the bosses in control. And I'm glad someone agrees with me! Disastrous, disastrous stuff just a year out from Steve's passing.

Just saw the Apple Genius ads (finally) as well... Shocking and bizarre.
  • Reply 30 of 34

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Not unless the alternative computer designed for "real work" had been left to languish to the point where the huge price difference just couldn't be justified.

Nope. That's a workstation computer. You don't get it.

Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

inane comment or sarcasm????????  

Quotes means mocking the Anti-Apple Brigade.

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

He isn't capable of sarcasm.

/s

I like this take. It shows up as semi-true because I always do my sarcasm completely deadpan.

• Reply 31 of 34
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    radster360 wrote: »
    First, I really don't understand why every time an Apple product comes out, the first thing people are bitching about is the price. Okay, it has always been the case that Apple products do cost more than the others - And it is because of much much better quality for product they build and they have not only functional, but they are in many cases a piece of art. I would rather put this product in my living room v/s HP's All-in-One product. So please, stop complaining about the cost as Apple has never claimed they are cheaper. It's like Bugati will cost you a million and if I don't want to pay that I can go with Lambo for 1/3 the price! If you don't want to pay the price - Just move along!

Actually, the statement that Apple products are much more expensive than the competitive products is not really true any more.

Look at the MacBook Air. Apple's competitors nearly had heart failure when it came out - and are struggling to offer comparable products at the same price. In fact, without Intel's subsidy, they probably couldn't do it.

The iPad is certainly fairly priced compared to the competition. Compare it to the Surface or Tab 10" for example.

The iPhone is not very different in price compared to other high end phones.

And I don't think there's any AIO comparable to the iMac for less money.

The problem is that people insist on apples and oranges comparisons. They'll compare a MacBook Pro to the cheapest POS laptop they can find. They compare the iPhone to some smart phone that's only half a step up from feature phones. They compare the iMac to either a desktop computer or a cheap plastic AIO. When you compare comparable, high quality products, Apple products are not significantly higher in most cases.
  • Reply 32 of 34

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

...I always do my sarcasm completely deadpan.

Are you being sarcastic?

• Reply 33 of 34

Originally Posted by AnalogJack View Post

Are you being sarcastic?

Yes¡

• Reply 34 of 34
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

First, it's not $40 worth of RAM. Why not price equivalent quality and speed SO-DIMMs from a reputable supplier. It's more like $140 worth of RAM the last time I checked.

Second, ALL computer vendors charge high margins for upgrades. That's the nature of the business.

Finally, before you claim that it's due to the "Apple Tax", you have to show a comparable 27" AIO of comparable build quality, performance, and so on for less. So where can you buy a comparable 27" for less?

ETA:

I just checked and the price has come down. 8 GB DDR3 1600 MHz SO-DIMMs are now $49 each from 18004memory - which is generally one of the best places to buy Mac RAM. So Apple is charging $200 for $100 worth of RAM - which is not the least bit out of line. For example, Dell charges $175 to upgrade to 16 GB - and that's 4 x 4 GB which should be cheaper than the 2 x 8 GB Apple uses. Also, Apple's RAM specs have traditionally been higher than the rest of the industry.

It's around $80 directly from Crucial. They're a subsidiary of Micron. The same thing off newegg is $72. Crucial is notably on par with what Apple would use, but I wouldn't use a single sample to determine this. I'd just say you could buy 2x8GB sticks from a reputable brand within $80. Prices on memory have been plummeting. Look at how expensive it was in 2011. Also you're right. All oems charge high markups on any kind of upgrades. As I've said before, they charge extra for any kind of cto configuration. It's not limited to Apple. Now the part that looks like nonsense. How have Apple's ram specs been higher? Are you suggesting they test it before shipping? All oems do that, especially in the price range of Macs. It's like when people claim that PC vendors use DDR3 rather than DDR5 on gpu memory. They may have seen it happen, but it's rare and basically non existent once past a certain price range.