Tim Cook to be feature of NBC profile next week in 'first of its kind' interview

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
It was announced on Friday that Apple CEO Tim Cook will be the subject of a special interview with NBC's Brian Williams, with the profile scheduled to air on Rock Center next Thursday, Dec. 6.

Time Cook Interview
NBC's Brian Williams (left) interviews Apple CEO Tim Cook (right). | Source: TVNewser

At the close of NBC's Nightly News on Friday, Williams announced that he had spent the day with Cook for an exclusive one-on-one set to air next week, marking the first in-depth TV interview the CEO has granted since taking over the reins from late Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

"Unlike the man he replaced, Steve Jobs, Tim Cook was able to walk all but unrecognized across the central floor of Grand Central Station," Williams said. "Once we got to his Apple store that changed, of course, as devoted fans approached and treated him like a rock star.?

A preview of the interview will be aired on Thursday's edition of the Nightly News before the entire profile is broadcast at 10 p.m. eastern on Rock Center.

Pictures of the meeting were published to TVNewser (via Business Insider) earlier on Friday.

Source: NBC

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    Can someone record this please? Perhaps put it on WeTransfer; we don't get Rock Center at this side of the pond...should be worth the watch!
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Tim Cook... Rock Star!

Hmmmmm... I wonder if the Diesel was treated in the same way...
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Nobody cares about Cook except he authorized the removal ofGoogle maps replacing them with a defective mapping program!
  • Reply 4 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rodent View Post

Nobody cares about Cook except he authorized the removal ofGoogle maps replacing them with a defective mapping program!

I smell a rat!

• Reply 5 of 45

Quote:

I can't even begin to tell you just how WRONG you are.

• Reply 6 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    philboogie wrote: »
    Can someone record this please? Perhaps put it on WeTransfer; we don't get Rock Center at this side of the pond...should be worth the watch!

I won't record it but I'll certainly let you know if I find it, and I'm pretty sure it will be tormented torrented within a day of it airing.

edit: Typo. Apparently the past tense of torrent is not yet common enough for auto-correct to understand.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I won't record it but I'll certainly let you know if I find it, and I'm pretty sure it will be tormented within a day of it airing.

That's one of your classics.:lol:
  • Reply 8 of 45
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Tim Cook... Rock Star!

Hmmmmm... I wonder if the Diesel was treated in the same way...

I fondly remember the story about The Diesel hiding under his desk when Apple was circling the drain in the 90's. 

• Reply 9 of 45
    Hopefully someone will create a link to YouTube for it for non watchers on tv, it was kind of a good point where city territory it was unrecognized, yet of course in the apple store welcomed.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Mobile forums are live finally, nice!

Anyway looking forward to this.
  • Reply 11 of 45
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Mobile forums are live finally, nice!
    Anyway looking forward to this.
    Yes, forums that work on the iPhone! What an improvement! And yes - that Rodent is definitely a rat.
  • Reply 12 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This new mobile setup work brilliantly on iOS devices.

A big thanks to the AppleInsider staff working...inside...AppleInsider for implementing this and giving us some lovin'.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    gtr wrote: »
    This new mobile setup work brilliantly on iOS devices.
    A big thanks to the AppleInsider staff working...inside...AppleInsider for implementing this and giving us some lovin'.

They really should have created an article about this going live (something I requested in the trial thread) so we all don't muck up the other threads once we all start to realize this new feature. But they didn't so we might as unleash out platitudes everywhere we can like a rabbit droppings. :D
  • Reply 14 of 45

AAPL & Tim Cook's authority have being under attack from the bears… etc. The timing of this is nice - if convenient for Apple's Pr machine  - Apples Reality needs to be put in perspective, BS and speculation needs to be diminished. On a personal note - I sent Apple a photo of my 2 kids playing with their iPads to the warmth of an open fire,  whilst in the 6th day of our power outage in NY after Sandy. I got a personal response from Tim. Say no more...

• Reply 15 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    He is very cautious in interview situations (such as answering questions on the quarterly financials call), he never gives anything away and sticks to the company line.

I don't think there will be much to see.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

He is very cautious in interview situations (such as answering questions on the quarterly financials call), he never gives anything away and sticks to the company line.

I don't think there will be much to see.

As he should be. Although more open than Steve, he doesn't have a loose tongue, and yes is extremely cautious about letting anything specific slip. Still, it should be better than nothing. 

• Reply 17 of 45
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

As he should be. Although more open than Steve, he doesn't have a loose tongue, and yes is extremely cautious about letting anything specific slip. Still, it should be better than nothing. 

Yes, he shouldn't give product details away, and neither did Steve. But Steve would wax philosophical and make predictions about the future and I wish Tim would do more of that.

If Tim wants to make his mark on Apple, but is worried about harming the culture, he could expand in to more business and pro products. The battle against MS has pretty much been won (or rather, victory is inevitable) in the home space, but in the office space it's another story.

• Reply 18 of 45
    "first of its kind"

Will someone please explain what could possible be original about another corporate CEO interview?

We're primates%u2026 We worship wealth and the power it represents, and long to suck up to people we imagine are somehow superior. It's a fact of life, but do we have to pretend that there's something novel about it?

Steve Jobs was just a guy. Tim Cook is just a guy. Jesus Christ was just a guy. And the celebrity/hero worship/messiah complex thing is just monkey business, literally.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Apparently this rat thinks everyone cares what he thinks.

• Reply 20 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbryanh View Post

"first of its kind"

Will someone please explain what could possible be original about another corporate CEO interview?

They're going to do it naked.