Apple requires its own tests to ensure carrier LTE networks are up to snuff

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So. The carriers are shocked that they're not in the driver's seat? After years of creating their own walled stores, branded services, locked down SIM cards, limited firmware updates, and custom phones preloaded with carrier-specific shovelware, they're shocked that Apple is raising the bar and requiring them to live up to it?

The article is spun to a degree, although I agree with you on shovelware. The reality is the testing may reveal problems on either side. What's important is that it works.

• Reply 22 of 33

Actually, this guy is typical iGadget users who can't buy iGadgets in cash, so they gotta borrow money, no..., make it "be subsidized", to get their "luxurious" Apple gadgets, in which most of their innards and even shells are made in China, the same like any other "cheapy" and "inferior" gadgets made by competitors. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsteers View Post

No one is perfect. However when you pay 300 dollars for a phone, there shouldn't be a 3/4 of an inch scratch on the back where paint is obviously already coming off. So please, stop being a troll and go die.

• Reply 23 of 33
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    Without a decent LTE Network , a constant switching between 3G and 4G will significantly reduce battery life. And when this happen my guess is that 90% of users will complain iPhone 5 having less then satisfactory battery life rather then the Network's operator fault.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireside View Post

These are Apple's new entrees at its world famous "You Are Stuck With Us Almost Forever Maybe" restaurant:

1. "Apple is never to blame menu."  

2. "Apple is always perfect menu." 

3. "It's always the customers or the service provider's fault menu."

4. "Apple will fire one imperfect executive every month menu.'"

5. "Apple iGadget User Forever menu: We are not just customers, we are also stockholders."

6. "The Chinese have signed an exclusive agreement to become the source of Apple's future growth menu."

The "Cook" is in full swing in Apple's kitchen to spew more innovative and breakthrough recipes, later to be patented at USPTO.

p.s. about entree no 5, you can throw away all the objectivities..., just pump, pump and pump!!

You are funny, you don't need to eat at this restaurant and who cares where you eat.

• Reply 25 of 33
    Does not read right.

You can't test a network until you have enough people using it.
    Catch 22.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    But yes it does read that LTE will never work on other networks unless they sell the iPhone ad/or pass Apple's tests !

Fee time methinks.
    And yes, it will ever work on the current incompatible LTE networks anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 33
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    jsteers wrote: »
    No one is perfect. However when you pay 300 dollars for a phone, there shouldn't be a 3/4 of an inch scratch on the back where paint is obviously already coming off. So please, stop being a troll and go die.

You didn't pay $300 for the phone. You paid $300 plus many hundreds more for your contract to get a subsidized phone.

That aside, if the phone was damaged, you should have exchanged it. It's not Apple's fault you were too lazy to do so.
  • Reply 28 of 33
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    petrosy wrote: »
    They doing this to avoid the embarrassment like in Australia when their 4g iPad did not work on the local network. They tried to smooth the fault over by saying Australia's 3g network is as fast as 4g in the US. The competition board did not agree and they had to offer refunds to those that wanted and admit the error.

So according to Apple getting a hand job is the same as being laid....nice try.

LOL, all depends on which side you are on "him" or "her"...
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jragosta wrote: »
    You didn't pay $300 for the phone. You paid $300 plus many hundreds more for your contract to get a subsidized phone.
    That aside, if the phone was damaged, you should have exchanged it. It's not Apple's fault you were too lazy to do so.

I seriously doubt the poster actually bought the iPhone 5. A real customer would've exchanged it, and solved their own problem instead using "scratch-gate" to argue that Apple doesn't have quality control. I had an iPhone 3GS fail under warranty, took it to the genius bar, and got it exchanged in under ten minutes. Apple took care of the problem impressively fast. A real Apple customer would know how to get happy. A concern troll is not interested in solving anything, just attacking Apple.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    It still reads as being a positive tie in for those networks with Apple contracts and not exactly positive news for us the customer.
    At the end of the contract, if LTE options are limited then customer retention is more likely.
  • Reply 31 of 33

Interestingly if you visit the Swisscom site it is advertising the Note 2 alongside its ultra fast LTE.

When viewing the iPHone 5 it says "Apple will provide a software update with the iPhone 5 to allow the use of 4G (LTE). Swisscom customers will be notified as soon as the new software is available. "

I am sort of wondering if Apple are working on fix to improve the speeds.

Some tests in London had the S3 data speed immensely faster than the iPhone 5 on EEs LTE. 

Good old Apple, their doings always create mystery

• Reply 32 of 33

The strict control maintained by Apple "shocked" Bengt Nordstrom, head of an industry consultancy group named NorthStream. In a conversation with Telecoms.com, he said carriers' willingness to concede such control to Apple shows "who is running the industry."

Sounds familiar to what happened in the ebook industry.

How soon can we see a cell phone antitrust lawsuit against apple?

• Reply 33 of 33

They're not doing a good job if they are testing it because LTE is basically useless for me.  I work in NYC, live in metro NJ and frequently commute for work to LA and SF.  I frequently have my phone say LTE but it rarely has any usable internet connectivity even with full bars on AT&T.  The problem isn't reception quality it's that their network is so over subscribed relative to its capacity that is frequently doesn't give me any ping even when I have strong signal.  I would say that's true more than 50% of the time.  Rendering high speed useless because it's not reliable.