First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 161 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephenbw View Post

I don't know why you would want to do that. They are so unobtrusive and take up so little space I have them on all the time.

Yeah, on investigating them it seems that they have worked it out. With "always on or "with touchpad activity" it works OK.  I don't think these options were available when it first came out.

Thanks for the info.

• Reply 162 of 242

Quote:

Well you can't really get more uncluttered than a screen sized view of just the album cover image

It is an improvement over this feature in previous versions: it changes with the songs and controls superimpose over it when you move the mouse. But it's in a window, not screen sized, and it doesn't replace a nice song or album view with basic info (Title, Album, Artist, etc.)

Some view options for Album and song views that can be made full screen are missing. Currently you only have the grid view in album and the list view for song and can only change the sort order. One nice thing about Cover Flow was that it was like flipping through Albums or CDs.

It's rather odd that Cover Flow, named for album covers and originally introduced for iTunes is available in any finder window, but not in iTunes anymore.

• Reply 163 of 242

How To Rollback Your iTunes:

Might be a non-issue to some, but to ME not having the artwork preview on the bottom left is a game breaker. Makes ZERO sense as to why Apple would remove that option, it's such a small part of iTunes that it couldn't have hurt them to leave it in, but it is used by many-many people. Soooo... if anyone wants to rollback to the previous iTunes, I found them here for Windows ONLY - be sure to pick the right bit version x64 or non (x32):

http://www.oldapps.com/itunes.php

Lastly, you must have the older version of this file or the older version won't open after install: iTunes Library.itlThankfully I backed up my old iTunes folder and still have my version 10 files and just replaced the '.itl' file from iTunes 11... everything works great and I have my artwork preview again.

I'll download iTunes 11 or 11.x or 12 if/when they add the artwork preview back, otherwise I'll stick with v10 as long as I can.

• Reply 164 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Might be a non-issue to some, but to ME not having the artwork preview on the bottom left is a game breaker. Makes ZERO sense as to why Apple would remove that option, it's such a small part of iTunes that it couldn't have hurt them to leave it in, but it is used by many-many people. 

I'm intrigued. What did "many-many people" use the artwork preview on the bottom left for?

• Reply 165 of 242
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    I could be wrong but it seems that thy took an alright music library management tool and made it about nothing more than buying more stuff, and media asset management is now secondary...
  • Reply 166 of 242

NOTHING FOR ME. Here are the reasons:

1- Most important. I have 1862 books or documents on my iPad (epub and pdf). I regularly delete some and fill in with new. The new iTunes does not allow me to seek among the books in the iPad, it always seeks in the library of the Mac. To understand what I'm saying let's say I have a book called "New iTunes sucks" that I have on my hd and want to transfer to iPad (iBooks). Now I cannot check to see if the book is already on the iPad. This is a real game killer for me because I have over 23.000 books/documents on my hd that I may, at some point, want to transfer to the iPad.

2- As mesomorphicman mentions in his comment, the missing icon preview forces me to take extra steps in order to change the album/book cover, This is an issue because I have almost a terabyte of such files. Practically all the songs I transfer from my CD collection have no cover art.

3- After I start playback I always minimize the player. It takes very little space on my 13" screen.In  iTunes 10 it was possible to change the volume from the mini player. The new mini player lost this and now shows a tiny pic of the album cover. Wow, if I was 16 I would probably be ecstatic about this rubbish. 

I could go on but the above 3 issues kill iTunes 11 for me. Moreover, I'm afraid I will not be able to upgrade to the next OS (10.9) because it will install some future version of iTunes 11. So serious are the above mentioned issues.

Also I am very angry at Apple's attitude towards me as i customer. It should allow me to change back to the previous version if I'm not satisfied. As it is I had to look and find version 10 on the internet. It was not easy to find. Then I re-installed mountain Lion. What happened was that the OS was re-installed but it kept iTunes 11 !!!. There was no other way to get back to 10 but use time machine and restore the whole system as it was 2 months ago when I made the last backup. Writing this makes me extremely angry and frustrated. I BOUGHT OS10.8 so I PAYED for iTunes 10 which was included. Why am I not allowed to use it if I want to?

It is another thing if a software has bugs and another thing to submit to an almost fascist dictate from Apple on how to use your hardware/software.

I am a very disappointed customer ( exclusively Mac user since 1987).

• Reply 167 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapienssapiens View Post

NOTHING FOR ME. Here are the reasons:

1- Most important. I have 1862 books or documents on my iPad (epub and pdf). I regularly delete some and fill in with new. The new iTunes does not allow me to seek among the books in the iPad, it always seeks in the library of the Mac. To understand what I'm saying let's say I have a book called "New iTunes sucks" that I have on my hd and want to transfer to iPad (iBooks). Now I cannot check to see if the book is already on the iPad. This is a real game killer for me because I have over 23.000 books/documents on my hd that I may, at some point, want to transfer to the iPad.

2- As mesomorphicman mentions in his comment, the missing icon preview forces me to take extra steps in order to change the album/book cover, This is an issue because I have almost a terabyte of such files. Practically all the songs I transfer from my CD collection have no cover art.

3- After I start playback I always minimize the player. It takes very little space on my 13" screen.In  iTunes 10 it was possible to change the volume from the mini player. The new mini player lost this and now shows a tiny pic of the album cover. Wow, if I was 16 I would probably be ecstatic about this rubbish. 

I could go on but the above 3 issues kill iTunes 11 for me. Moreover, I'm afraid I will not be able to upgrade to the next OS (10.9) because it will install some future version of iTunes 11. So serious are the above mentioned issues.

Also I am very angry at Apple's attitude towards me as i customer. It should allow me to change back to the previous version if I'm not satisfied. As it is I had to look and find version 10 on the internet. It was not easy to find. Then I re-installed mountain Lion. What happened was that the OS was re-installed but it kept iTunes 11 !!!. There was no other way to get back to 10 but use time machine and restore the whole system as it was 2 months ago when I made the last backup. Writing this makes me extremely angry and frustrated. I BOUGHT OS10.8 so I PAYED for iTunes 10 which was included. Why am I not allowed to use it if I want to?

It is another thing if a software has bugs and another thing to submit to an almost fascist dictate from Apple on how to use your hardware/software.

I am a very disappointed customer ( exclusively Mac user since 1987).

For #1, Click on Devices. you can then browse to the various sections like Books to see what's on the actual device. You can also search from the device view. (Edit: Scratch that..the search field is there but doesn't seem to function on the device view). You can set the column sorts in iTunes and that sort setting syncs to the device though.

For #3, you can always use your volume keys.

I haven't found an easy workaround yet for #2 other than Command + I to get to the album art.

• Reply 168 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I just love this view. It's clean, crisp, and really lets me focus on just the artist I want. Yeah, it was there before, but this whole overall look is actually very inviting. 

Is there any way to tighten that list on the left? I don't need the artwork there at all, and I don't need triple spacing between artist names. I want to see more artists, and less white space!!!!

• Reply 169 of 242
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member

I haven't read the whole thread, but here's a few quick comments.

1) I don't like the thin-bezel at the top of the window. The top of the window provides a grab point for moving the window around. And a place to quickly glance to see info about the window - for Safari it is the title of the web page. For iTunes it could be the currently playing song.

2) What do Command-Up Arrow and Command-Down Arrow do? They move you to the top or bottom of a window. But not in iTunes - it changes the volume. This is very annoying when viewing a page in the store.

3) Why does the "Library" button at the right side of the button bar have a down arrow letting me select the section of my library to jump to, but the "iTunes Store" button does not have a similar drop down menu to jump to a section of the store?

Apple REALLY needs to get back to having Human Interface Guidelines and following them. Back in the day, one of Apple's selling points was that all its apps looked and worked the same. They have lost that corporate memory. IMHO, they really need a UI Czar to go in and slap the developers around to get back to doing consistent, clean user interfaces.

Apple users used to be able to point and laugh at Windows users with their mish-mash of keyboard shortcuts and window layouts. No more.

- Jasen.

P.S. I played around with the Mac App Store, too. Its row of buttons goes right to the top of the window - bad. And if you grab the window in the grey top part it moves - unless it's a space between the buttons that is a click target, then it does nothing. There's NO visual cue that the space you're grabbing is any different than any other part of the top border. UI failimage

• Reply 170 of 242

For #1, Click on Devices. you can then browse to the various sections like Books to see what's on the actual device. You can also search from the device view. (Edit: Scratch that..the search field is there but doesn't seem to function on the device view). You can set the column sorts in iTunes and that sort setting syncs to the device though.

For #3, you can always use your volume keys.

I haven't found an easy workaround yet for #2 other than Command + I to get to the album art.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your response DJRumpy. But I never ever sync anything automatically. I do everything manually so that I have full control (and understanding of what's happening). Also using the volume keys is not an option because I need to always have the Mac volume at maximum (for some reason that's not relevant to this discussion).

Commant+1 is of course a solution but it is an extra step.

I can see from other comments that there is a way for PC users to get back to version 10. That this is not possible on a Mac makes me even more angry at Apple.

• Reply 171 of 242
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">For #1, Click on Devices. you can then browse to the various sections like Books to see what's on the actual device. You can also search from the device view. (Edit: Scratch that..the search field is there but doesn't seem to function on the device view). You can set the column sorts in iTunes and that sort setting syncs to the device though.</span>
    <br style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">
    <br style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">
    <span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">For #3, you can always use your volume keys.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">I haven't found an easy workaround yet for #2 other than Command + I to get to the album art.</span>

<span style="color:rgb(24,24,24);font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:18px;">
    </span>

Thanks for your response DJRumpy. But I never ever sync anything automatically. I do everything manually so that I have full control (and understanding of what's happening). Also using the volume keys is not an option because I need to always have the Mac volume at maximum (for some reason that's not relevant to this discussion).
    Commant+1 is of course a solution but it is an extra step.
    I can see from other comments that there is a way for PC users to get back to version 10. That this is not possible on a Mac makes me even more angry at Apple.

You can uninstall on a Mac as well. If its not in this thread, you can find it with a few quick searches, but it does require that you have a backup of your old iTunes library files. I'll see if I can find it.
  • Reply 172 of 242
    See the third comment here for help falling back.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4554853?tstart=0

Make sure you back up your playlists first before falling back. You can use Doug's scripts, or use the Export function to back up an XML export of your playlists.
  • Reply 173 of 242
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

I'm intrigued. What did "many-many people" use the artwork preview on the bottom left for?

If you used list views (the only practical view in my mind if you have a large library), it is the only way to see and enjoy the artwork. It gave you an instant recognition of what was playing (or selected) and vice versa it anchored a visual to the songs you were listening to. And, in particular for podcasts, it provided a place for a link to further on the web about what was playing at the moment (different links possible for each chapter).

• Reply 174 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

You can uninstall on a Mac as well. If its not in this thread, you can find it with a few quick searches, but it does require that you have a backup of your old iTunes library files. I'll see if I can find it.

Just, restore both the application and the library from a backup and you have the old version back.

• Reply 175 of 242

Quote:

Are you being sincere or another sarcastic AI jerk who thinks he knows more than everyone else or just 'cuz someone uses/wants something he doesn't it's then invalid? I'm intrigued. I and others (there is a growing string of comments about this one issue on Apple Support Communities) use the artwork window as a nice visual aid to our music collection. As I said "might be a non-issue to some, but to ME" it is!! I and others spend a lot of time putting artwork for each song not just each album/CD. I like to put artwork for each released single or photos of the music artist themselves, so when the songs play I see different photos/artwork. Seeing the same album photo for every song bores me. So, not having this artwork display as was previously available is a bummer. As a music collector I grew-up enjoying to look at the artwork and read linear notes on each 12" vinyl single/album and later CD I purchased, same thing.

• Reply 176 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

Are you being sincere or another sarcastic AI jerk who thinks he knows more than everyone else or just 'cuz someone uses/wants something he doesn't it's then invalid? I'm intrigued. I and others (there is a growing string of comments about this one issue on Apple Support Communities) use the artwork window as a nice visual aid to our music collection. As I said "might be a non-issue to some, but to ME" it is!! I and others spend a lot of time putting artwork for each song not just each album/CD. I like to put artwork for each released single or photos of the music artist themselves, so when the songs play I see different photos/artwork. Seeing the same album photo for every song bores me. So, not having this artwork display as was previously available is a bummer. As a music collector I grew-up enjoying to look at the artwork and read linear notes on each 12" vinyl single and later CD single I purchased, same thing.

If it's just the current tune artwork, click the image next to the timeline at the top center and you'll get a separate window with the iTunes artwork, which can be moved around, resized, etc.

• Reply 177 of 242
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tumme-totte View Post

Where did iTunes DJ go? I loved that one!

The DJ wanted to much money......

Just joking.

Here's what I suggest.

Go through the app and find out what you want to have added and then go to

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

And let Apple know what you want.  If enough people submit the same idea, then maybe they'll add it.

• Reply 178 of 242

Betting Apple is being swarmed with suggestions, but useful and erm..colorful ;) lol

• Reply 179 of 242

To see what was playing or was selected without having to play it. Pretty simple.

Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

If you used list views (the only practical view in my mind if you have a large library)…

That's completely nonsensical.

• Reply 180 of 242

Quote:

Just click on the little album cover to the left of the progress bar at the top of the screen and the album artwork will appear to resize as you wish. In playlists this will change with each song.

That opens it in a separate window. Where are you going to put that extra window on a 11 or 13" screen? Make the main iTunes window smaller so you can place it next to the main window? And the square album art window will then float on top of whatever you have in the background (either the Desktop or other applications' windows). Not very appealing aesthetically particular since the one of the main points of this iTunes update was to provide a cleaner look.

Alternatively, you can place the square album art window where it used to be, in the lower left corner if you re-enable the sidebar (since incidentally that is a place that is usually empty unless you have a lot of top-level playlists). But than click on anything in the main iTunes window and the artwork is hidden again behind the main windows.

In Songs or Playlists view the album art is now de-facto demoted to the tiny thumbnail at the top.