iFixit dings new 21.5-inch iMac for low repairability as shipping times increase

Comments

• Reply 41 of 184
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    Much as I don't like non repairable stuff, after seeing it in the store today, I must say it is totally worth any trade off. This is the first time I have ever been tempted to buy an imac. They really are not easy to service, but its perfectly doable.

Because it is so hard to service, I would like to see 2 changes to the customization options:
    *Lower the ram prices, come on - $600 for like $120 worth of ram (4x 8gb sodimms on Newegg)
    *More cost effective Soid State options - Forget the hybrid drives, or at least offer a lightly less rediculously priced ssd option than the 768GB deal...Come on - just give me a 256 GB SSD in place of the 2tb hdd without the extra $1300 charge...
  • Reply 42 of 184

Originally Posted by Andysol View Post

A side note- Wouldn't a higher rating give self confidence to people to repair it themself and then buy the parts- even if they can't do it Ifixit makes a sale? If anything- they only lose out by rating low.

This is, of course, pretending that resellerratings.com (and related sites) doesn't exist.

• Reply 43 of 184
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    charlituna wrote: »
    Yes and no. The ram on the 21.5 is listed as non user serviceable which makes doing it a warranty void. The ram on the 27 that it ships with is soldered and non serviceable but there are two slots that are okay for users to fill themselves

Odd that Island Hermit and you disagree with me (Island Hermit even given you a thumbs up saying "Exactly!") despite you repeating what I said except switching out user-accesible for user-serviceable. AI has altered the text to reflect iFixit's findings that it's possible but not easy to do, unlike with the MBAs and RMBPs where it's not possible.
  • Reply 44 of 184

Of course it's serviceable - you take it to the Genius Bar and they either fix it for you or give you a new one.

I'm too old, too busy and make too much money to waste my time effing with a busted PC.  I have people to do that.  I'd no more screw around with a broken computer than I would with a broken washing machine.  And I'm certain that 99% of the people who can afford an iMac feel the exact same way.

But it's always nice to hear from the pocket-protector wearing, "I'm 35 years old and haven't figured out how to brush my teeth yet" set.

• Reply 45 of 184
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    a_greer wrote: »
    Much as I don't like non repairable stuff, after seeing it in the store today, I must say it is totally worth any trade off. This is the first time I have ever been tempted to buy an imac. They really are not easy to service, but its perfectly doable.
    Because it is so hard to service, I would like to see 2 changes to the customization options:
    *Lower the ram prices, come on - $600 for like $120 worth of ram (4x 8gb sodimms on Newegg)
    *More cost effective Soid State options - Forget the hybrid drives, or at least offer a lightly less rediculously priced ssd option than the 768GB deal...Come on - just give me a 256 GB SSD in place of the 2tb hdd without the extra $1300 charge...

If Apple is using CL9 RAM, then it's $280 worth of RAM. The lower cost RAM is CL10 or CL11. I haven't seen any clear enough pictures to identify the RAM that well.

It does seem odd how Apple is handling the drive options.
  • Reply 46 of 184

Originally Posted by sunspot42 View Post

But it's always nice to hear from the pocket-protector wearing, "I'm 35 years old and haven't figured out how to brush my teeth yet" set.

"I take my teeth out individually and put in a new one when they're bad. Preventative maintenance? Teeth are cheap!"

• Reply 47 of 184
    simtub wrote: »
    Oh wow, this iMac was assembled in USA!! Production does happen in USA afterall.

3rd pic of Step 3
    http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iMac+Intel+21.5-Inch+EMC+2544+Teardown/11936/1

That is awesome! This should be in the AI newsfeed as its own story!

NrhRdAFCS1Ag3BVB.medium
  • Reply 48 of 184

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Odd that Island Hermit and you disagree with me (Island Hermit even given you a thumbs up saying "Exactly!") despite you repeating what I said except switching out user-accesible for user-serviceable. AI has altered the text to reflect iFixit's findings that it's possible but not easy to do, unlike with the MBAs and RMBPs where it's not possible.

As I said... the number of people who will be willing to take off the display, remove the motherboard and void the warranty to replace/ install some ram makes the point that its user replaceable irrelevant.

• Reply 49 of 184
    a_greera_greer Posts: 4,594member
    jeffdm wrote: »
    If Apple is using CL9 RAM, then it's $280 worth of RAM. The lower cost RAM is CL10 or CL11. I haven't seen any clear enough pictures to identify the RAM that well.
    It does seem odd how Apple is handling the drive options.
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8569D93DA5CA7304
    The CAS latency and speed combo isn't on NE, but it is only $40 each so that means about $160 for 16 GB so I think my point is still valid.
  • Reply 50 of 184
    As I said... the number of people who will be willing to take off the display, remove the motherboard and void the warranty to replace/ install some ram makes the point that its user replaceable irrelevant.

What makes you think the warranty would be voided? Do you have any evidence to ground that claim, or are you just spewing some false hot air?
  • Reply 51 of 184

Originally Posted by Phone-UI-Guy View Post

It probably will be… on Monday.

Originally Posted by iFixit

The fused display may look awesome, but at what cost, Apple? At. What. Cost!?

Screw your melodrama. You want something easily reparable, make your own computer. All I see is a whiny bunch of tools.

I wouldn't use that except for the humor of the double entendre.

• Reply 52 of 184
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

Not being able to upgrade RAM wouldn't be that big of a deal if Apple didn't rape you on RAM upgrade prices. Do they really need to charge about 2x retail value on RAM for the 21"? They include 8GB but want to charge $200 for an extra 8GB vs half that 3rd party. I can see an extra $100, but that is just too much.

And for the 27" iMac it is even worse at $600 extra for 32GB vs. OWC (which is not even the cheapest) for $195. No reason why Apple couldn't lower RAM upgrade prices given their already high margins on the machines. It is fine when they make it easy to upgrade but when they make it very difficult to do then that almost forces you to pay through the nose for Apple RAM. 

• Reply 53 of 184
    a_greer wrote: »
    http://www.crucial.com/store/mpartspecs.aspx?mtbpoid=8569D93DA5CA7304
    The CAS latency and speed combo isn't on NE, but it is only $40 each so that means about $160 for 16 GB so I think my point is still valid.

That's just a compatibility chart. Crucial doesn't specify what Apple is providing, so that doesn't prove that Apple is providing CL11. CL11 will certainly work, but that doesn't mean it will be the same spec as Apple's pieces. One can get reputable CL10 for $40, so I don't know why one would bother with CL11. Newegg has CL9 at $150 for 16GB (2x8GB). It makes no sense to compare products of different specs, so finding the cheapest isn't actually saying anything if the specs don't even match, that would be called an invalid comparison.
  • Reply 54 of 184

I cant fathom why you think a lack of distinction between RAM in the RMBP and iMac is irrelevant for would be tinkers.

I'm wondering why I need to point out this is a tech site detailing the findings of a company who markets by showing DIYers how to disassemble their electronics thus making the distinction exceedingly relevant.
  • Reply 55 of 184
    What a stupid answer. It's the job of iFixIt do analyze its upgradability and repairability. It's up to the readers do choose what to do with it.
  • Reply 56 of 184
    NrhRdAFCS1Ag3BVB.medium

No wonder the iMac is shipping so late in the holiday quarter and cost so much for RAM upgrades¡
  • Reply 57 of 184
    gwmac wrote: »
    Not being able to upgrade RAM wouldn't be that big of a deal if Apple didn't rape you on RAM upgrade prices. Do they really need to charge about 2x retail value on RAM for the 21"? They include 8GB but want to charge $200 for an extra 8GB vs half that 3rd party. I can see an extra $100, but that is just too much.

And for the 27" iMac it is even worse at $600 extra for 32GB vs. OWC (which is not even the cheapest) for $195. No reason why Apple couldn't lower RAM upgrade prices given their already high margins on the machines. It is fine when they make it easy to upgrade but when they make it very difficult to do then that almost forces you to pay through the nose for Apple RAM. 

Compare Apples to Apples please. Who is the RAM manufacturer that Apple uses? How much does that part cost via third-parties? Or perhaps you're saying you'd like to see Apple use OWC as their RAM provider? Surely there are reasons they use other brand names?
  • Reply 58 of 184
    I was going to buy myself a Porsche Cayman, but discovered it was very difficult to access the engine/drivetrain. I bought a Toyota Yaris instead, because, you know, self-repairability is right next to performance and quality when choosing a car/computer.
  • Reply 59 of 184
    gwmac wrote: »

OWC's spec is CL11, which is the slowest currently for PC3-12800 RAM. Let's get the CL spec on Apple's modules before jumping on them, OK?
  • Reply 60 of 184
    I was going to buy myself a Porsche Cayman, but discovered it was very difficult to access the engine/drivetrain. I bought a Toyota Yaris instead, because, you know, self-repairability is right next to performance and quality when choosing a car/computer.

What? The Porsche doesn't have an accessible drivetrain? What a disposable piece of crap!