First look: Apple's overhauled iTunes 11

Comments

• Reply 201 of 242
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapienssapiens View Post

Thanks for your response DJRumpy...Also using the volume keys is not an option because I need to always have the Mac volume at maximum (for some reason that's not relevant to this discussion).

Then use cmd-up and cmd-down to adjust the volume.

• Reply 202 of 242
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

Hopefully with iOS 7 Apple starts to put in place some semblance of a file system. I'd like to be able to copy, use, and share PDFs a bit more easily between my PC and iPad. My employer restricts the use of iCloud Document matching and services like DropBox, so I need to use the somewhat clunky iTunes method of file exchange.

Why?  That's kind of silly.

• Reply 203 of 242

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Why?  That's kind of silly.

Extraordinarily silly, in fact.

Apps should see only what they can edit; we shouldn't have to care where that is.

• Reply 204 of 242
    djrumpydjrumpy Posts: 1,116member

Has anyone figured out how to turn off the 'Show in iTunes store' link? You used to to be able turn it off in version 10 with a defaults.write, but that doesn't work in iTunes 11.

• Reply 205 of 242

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Has anyone figured out how to turn off the 'Show in iTunes store' link? You used to to be able turn it off in version 10 with a defaults.write, but that doesn't work in iTunes 11.

I'm sure Secrets will have a fix in a few weeks. If it's still possible, that is.

• Reply 206 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I'm sure Secrets will have a fix in a few weeks. If it's still possible, that is.

Not so sure on this one, as the old settings was specifically to turn it off, and it no longer works :|

I find the link entirely useless and it gets in the way. Why would I need to link to the store when I already have it? I've heard a few suggest that you can see any other tunes off that artists album, but I just find it gets in the way. Chances are when I bought it, that I specifically chose NOT to buy the other tunes in the album.

Ah well, I'll hold out hope that some fix comes along.

• Reply 207 of 242

Originally Posted by DJRumpy View Post

Not so sure on this one, as the old settings was specifically to turn it off, and it no longer works :|

Well if it's still a setting, they've just changed the reference name.

I find the link entirely useless and it gets in the way. Why would I need to link to the store when I already have it?

I know! Really it should only show up if it's something that is in the iTunes Store that iTunes hasn't found already associated with your account. I'd be fine with that; that's reasonable.

But I'm seeing it both on things that 1. are associated with my account (even though the local files in question aren't the files from iTunes; they're ALAC) and 2. things that couldn't possibly be in the iTunes Store and for which it therefore shouldn't appear in the first place. 

• Reply 208 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

The new iTunes 11 can be configured to look and behave like to older versions.  The media organization exactly the same.  It just has a different default presentation.

Try View->Show Sidebar and them press Songs across the top.  Boom!  There is your old iTunes.

This is an awesome piece of software.  Enjoy!

That's not entirely accurate - this option is missing the artwork.  And that's one of my biggest gripes.  I preferred the old option of being able to see the album cover and then customize which columns I wanted to include.  We no longer have this option.  We can customize the columns, but have to forego the covers.  Or we can have covers, but are forced to view the information Apple decides we should see.

My other issue is that I actually don't like the vertical and horizontal track listings under Albums when you select an album.  Not only is it visually not intuitive to look in two different directions to search for something, but longer song titles don't fit there.  Most of my collection is classical music.  A track name might say Variations on Righini's "Venni Amore" in D major, WoO 65: Variation XXIV. Allegro - Allegro stringendo - Presto assai.  Well, this isn't going to fit and there doesn't appear to be any way to fix this.

One other strange issue, especially since in this version Apple wants us to scroll through album art is that the covers aren't very large.  They are smaller in the new version than they were the last time (which was smaller than the version before that.)  I don't understand why Apple won't let us decide how big we want the artwork to be?

In general I find the current version is a lot less customizable.  Which I find just bizarre.  

• Reply 209 of 242

BTW, the closest view that I come to liking is the Artist/Artist List view.  But I hate the Artist browser that is forced to be part of it.  If I could get rid of that browser I could live with it.

• Reply 210 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by DmitryB View Post

In general I find the current version is a lot less customizable.  Which I find just bizarre.  

I don't think it's bizarre, but rather just V11.0. Much like new versions of iOS were pretty bare, they developed into a richer client. Given that we know they had issues getting this ready on time and missed their deadlines, it's probably safe to assume that not everything made it into day 0. I'm hoping they close some of the obvious gaffes in short order.

• Reply 211 of 242

Does no one remember the days when you could even set the behavior of imported media? You could have it play as it imports, not play as it imports, play only after it's done completely importing… 

That was last seen in, what, iTunes 7? Talk about your Windows-level customization.

• Reply 212 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by sapienssapiens View Post

3- After I start playback I always minimize the player. It takes very little space on my 13" screen.In  iTunes 10 it was possible to change the volume from the mini player. The new mini player lost this and now shows a tiny pic of the album cover.

There is still a volume control on the new mini-player along with the tiny picture. You can also enlarge the tiny pic and there's a second volume control on the bigger picture.

image                                image

• Reply 213 of 242
    I like it so far. The mini player is real handy. I would like to see the 'up next' to be able to save into a playlist. Grab last x songs played from 'up next' and (x) out those you don't want, save to playlist.
    [edited]
    Read all the options first Richard!
    So you can take a song you are listening to that you like and add to a playlist.

I just wish I still had the CD Album art at the bottom left of the sidebar (left side). I would double-click that and use it as a mini player....a better mini than the actual mini player.

Am I missing it somewhere? Hmmmm....I guess I just need to look up. Thanks Stephenbw....just dumb luck I found your post above mine.

I still find it clunky that I have to open the mini player, double-click the pick, and then close the mini player to get the album art player. More steps than in the past version.
  • Reply 214 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamewing View Post

I just wish I still had the CD Album art at the bottom left of the sidebar (left side). I would double-click that and use it as a mini player....a better mini than the actual mini player.

Am I missing it somewhere? Hmmmm....I guess I just need to look up. Thanks Stephenbw....just dumb luck I found your post above mine.

I still find it clunky that I have to open the mini player, double-click the pick, and then close the mini player to get the album art player. More steps than in the past version.

You don't have to open the mini player at all. Once the music starts playing just click once on the small picture at the top left of the title/progress box to get the album art player.

• Reply 215 of 242
    stephenbw wrote: »
    You don't have to open the mini player at all. Once the music starts playing just click once on the small picture at the top left of the title/progress box to get the album art player.

Yep. That works. Thanks.

I still terribly miss the cover art preview from the bottom left corner (sidebar). This might be a deal breaker for me.
  • Reply 216 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Does no one remember the days when you could even set the behavior of imported media? You could have it play as it imports, not play as it imports, play only after it's done completely importing… 

That was last seen in, what, iTunes 7? Talk about your Windows-level customization.

You know, I hadn't even noticed that had gone, as it was only occasionally that I wanted to play as it imported. When I did, I just started playing once the first track had finished importing, and I see that you can still do that.

• Reply 217 of 242
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

My other issue is that I actually don't like the vertical and horizontal track listings under Albums when you select an album.  Not only is it visually not intuitive to look in two different directions to search for something, but longer song titles don't fit there.  Most of my collection is classical music.  A track name might say Variations on Righini's "Venni Amore" in D major, WoO 65: Variation XXIV. Allegro - Allegro stringendo - Presto assai.  Well, this isn't going to fit and there doesn't appear to be any way to fix this.

Make your iTunes window wider or narrower and the titles will fit.I have a song titled, "Serenade in D, "Serenata Notturna": Rondeau (Allegretto - Adagio - Allegro)" and it all fits.

• Reply 218 of 242

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Make your iTunes window wider or narrower and the titles will fit.I have a song titled, "Serenade in D, "Serenata Notturna": Rondeau (Allegretto - Adagio - Allegro)" and it all fits.

Thank you for the suggestion.  But my iTunes is already covering the entire (27'') iMac screen.  No way to make it wider.  And I think iTunes is deciding how much text to fit depending on how many tracks there are on the album.  If it needs to make 3 columns - there is less room for text in those columns.

• Reply 219 of 242

One question: can anyone figure out why iTues is including artist name under the song title for some albums, but not for others?  See attached image.  As far as I can tell the metadata is identical as far as artist names (both artist and album artist, as well as sort artist) are identical.  It seems to be random and changes from playlist to playlist, as well as within the individual playlists. image

• Reply 220 of 242
    sr2012sr2012 Posts: 896member
    Bug: When playing internet radio the dropdown play button doesn't work. Is anyone else having this issue?