Apple announces December launches of iPhone 5, iPad mini in China

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple on Friday announced that the Wi-Fi versions of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad will launch in China on Dec. 7, while the iPhone 5 will debut a week later, on Dec. 14.

The Friday debuts over the next two weeks will mark highly anticipated launches for Apple's latest products in one of the company's most important markets.

Apple's press release made no mention of Chinese carrier partners, but the company already has agreements with China Unicom and China Telecom in place. China Mobile, the largest mobile provider in the world, has yet to receive the iPhone.

iPhone 5

The iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad with Retina display are currently available in 42 countries, while the iPhone 5 has launched in 47 countries.

Friday's announcement confirms an earlier report that pegged the iPhone 5 launch for mid-December. This week, Chinese regulators approved WCDMA and CDMA-2000 variants of the iPhone 5, which would be compatible with China Unicom and China Telecom.

Apple has not yet built a TD-SCDMA model of the iPhone 5, which would be compatible with China Mobile. Market watchers see a deal with China Mobile as Apple's biggest prize, as the carrier has more than 700 million subscribers, with 75.6 million of those on its high-speed 3G network.

The iPhone 5 has been on sale in Hong Kong since September, and sales have been brisk. Carriers in China have been anticipating the iPhone 5 launch in mainland China, which has become an increasingly important region for Apple's business.

mini

As for the debut of new iPads in China, another report this week revealed that Apple's existing models have accounted for a dominant 71 percent share of the country's growing tablet market. A total of 2.6 million tablets were sold in China last quarter, representing a 62.5 percent year over year increase.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    I wonder if anyone will line up to buy them?
  • Reply 2 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Fishy View Post

my apology for reposting, but there are supposedly enough folks out there with more money (than common sense??).  image

• Reply 3 of 13

What a "tool" you are!

• Reply 4 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Fishy View Post

Didn't Apple have to do a lottery system when the iPad was released in China, due to demand?  I think so.  I suspect this will be a similar situation.  It'll be good news for AAPL.

• Reply 5 of 13
    The December quarter for Apple will be absolutely monstrous
  • Reply 6 of 13
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Cue negative Apple spinners to short stock.
  • Reply 7 of 13

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The December quarter for Apple will be absolutely monstrous

Stock's going back to 400.

• Reply 8 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

God i wish. I'd load up as much as I can

• Reply 9 of 13
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

All the stores selling out in moments will be "limited supply" signaling Apple's doom.

• Reply 10 of 13
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    It really will be interesting to see how Apple handles the supply for China, their soon-to-be biggest market.
  • Reply 11 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

image image image

On the other hand, in reaction to the inevitable market hammering to come (thanks to economic meddling by Congress and the White House), we may yet get another chance to load up...

• Reply 12 of 13

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

image image image

On the other hand, in reaction to the inevitable market hammering to come (thanks to economic meddling by Congress and the White House), we may yet get another chance to load up...

Oh, I wasn't even taking that crap into account. It'll go to 200 when (yes, when. Enjoy that, PO) we pull a Thelma and Louise.

And if there's a better time to get in on Apple than that, I can't tell you when it'll be.

• Reply 13 of 13
    em_teem_te Posts: 41member
    allenbf wrote: »
    Didn't Apple have to do a lottery system when the iPad was released in China, due to demand?  I think so.  I suspect this will be a similar situation.  It'll be good news for AAPL.
    The lottery system is a pain in the ass. You have to register each day during office hours with your name and email and the lottery happens at night and if you're chosen then they will email you at night for you to pick it up in the morning. If not, then you repeat the same registration process the next day during office hours. There's no indication of how many phones are on sale each day as I think it is the leftover quantity after all physical sales are out. If it is zero that day then you've wasted you're time that day.