Apple supplies third beta of iOS 6.1 to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Developers on Monday were provided with the third pre-release beta of iOS 6.1, Apple's forthcoming software update for the iPhone, iPad and iPod touch.

The update is available through Software Update in the iOS Settings application. People familiar with the software said it is identified as build "10B5117b." It arrives three weeks after the second beta was issued.

One person testing the software shared with AppleInsider that users are now asked to enter security questions for iCloud once their device boots up. This feature was not in previous betas of iOS 6.1.

The iOS 6.1 beta is compatible with the fourth-, third- and second-generation iPad, iPad mini, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and the fifth- and fourth-generation iPod touch. Apple informed developers that the beta "contains bug fixes and improvements."

Earlier betas of iOS 6.1 added the ability to purchase movie tickets through Fandango with Siri.

iOS 6.1

The first two betas of iOS 6.1 also featured an enhanced Map Kit framework that will allow developers to search for map-based addresses in points of interest. In one example provided to developers, users could search the term "coffee," and the system would return the location of local coffee bars along with information about each one.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    Must have JUST rolled out, it's still not available via OTA update on the phone itself yet.
  • Reply 2 of 33
  • Reply 3 of 33
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I'm happy that an update is coming but does anybody know if the update app is getting fixed? Update is just flaky on both the iPad and their phone.
  • Reply 4 of 33
    shogunshogun Posts: 362member
    iOS is seeming old fashioned to me. More and more is annoying me. Like why am I always getting n's and m's between words. Can't the OS learn to give me one more millimeter on those letters? Or for God's sake, when I type, "thisnisnreallynannoying" how hard is it to see that the n's should be spaces?

Also, the icons on the home screen -- I hate the way they act when you're trying to move them around.

And the auto-dimmer. In the initial iOS 6 it was all the way sensitive, now it seems like it doesn't even work.

No contrast, white balance, saturation, sharpness in the photo app? And don't get me started on iOS iPhoto.

And why can't I send files quickly back and forth from mac to iOS and vice versa? I really have to email myself a photo to get it from one device to the other? Doesn't Lion have feature where it senses other devices nearby... Airdrop? Why can't I airdrop back and forth?

And I'll tell you what, after the bajillionth time of pulling out of an app in a folder or an app in the Newstand and then thinking I'll be on the home screen, but I have to bust out of the fence with the home button one more time to be there I feel like I'm about to smash this thing into the wall.

I know, I know, the OS is great in so many ways, I know: If you don't like it don't use it, yada, yada, yada. I'm griping because these are obvious usability issues that have been in place for YEARS. If kicking Forstall to the curb means stuff like this gets fixed then THANK YOU.

/GRIPE
  • Reply 5 of 33

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post

Or for God's sake, when I type, "thisnisnreallynannoying" how hard is it to see that the n's should be spaces?

imageimage

Fairly.

Doesn't Lion have feature where it senses other devices nearby... Airdrop? Why can't I airdrop back and forth?

AirDrop forces all devices in question to BE IN AirDrop to even see devices available for AirDrop. I think that's total crap, but that's me.

And I'll tell you what, after the bajillionth time of pulling out of an app in a folder or an app in the Newstand and then thinking I'll be on the home screen, but I have to bust out of the fence with the home button one more time to be there I feel like I'm about to smash this thing into the wall.

Maybe treat your devices better and the Home Button won't break?

• Reply 6 of 33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Maybe treat your devices better and the Home Button won't break?

Sorry, perhaps I misspoke.  The home button is fine.  But when you're in a newspaper app through Newsstand, when you hit the home button to get out of the newspaper and into the app page it dumps you back into newsstand.  You have to hit it again to get to the home screen of apps.  So we've been taught that no matter what app you're in you can hit the home button to get back to your home screen of app icons, except now there's this subset of apps that BY DESIGN do not function that way.  It's seriously annoying.  I see no functional purpose for this behavior and it ticks me off every time it happens.

• Reply 7 of 33

Perhaps the update will fix the bizarre charging problem I have with my iPhone 4....have to plug connector in, then remove, then plug back in, for my phone to charge.  Never happened on iOS 5, started immediately after upgrading to iOS 6.  

Really not a big issue at all as I do it without thinking now, but just sort of bizarre.  

• Reply 8 of 33

But when you're in a newspaper app through Newsstand, when you hit the home button to get out of the newspaper and into the app page it dumps you back into newsstand.  You have to hit it again to get to the home screen of apps.

Well, yeah. That's how it works for folders, too. Newsstand is a folder. Think of it as such and it makes sense. It operates like a folder in that it drops down within the Springboard, it can't be put into a folder (can't nest folders), and no content outside it is accessible without closing it.

Whether Newsstand SHOULD be a folder is another argument, though. I'm of the belief that Newsstand (and iTunes U) should be merged with iBooks as simply a category therein. iTunes U would have its same background of darker, richer wood, and Newsstand would be given a background of metal shelving, similar to, you know, an actual newsstand. I like this idea, but hey.

• Reply 9 of 33

Quote:

iOS is seeming old fashioned to me. More and more is annoying me. Like why am I always getting n's and m's between words. Can't the OS learn to give me one more millimeter on those letters? Or for God's sake, when I type, "thisnisnreallynannoying" how hard is it to see that the n's should be spaces?

Also, the icons on the home screen -- I hate the way they act when you're trying to move them around.

And the auto-dimmer. In the initial iOS 6 it was all the way sensitive, now it seems like it doesn't even work.

No contrast, white balance, saturation, sharpness in the photo app? And don't get me started on iOS iPhoto.

And why can't I send files quickly back and forth from mac to iOS and vice versa? I really have to email myself a photo to get it from one device to the other? Doesn't Lion have feature where it senses other devices nearby... Airdrop? Why can't I airdrop back and forth?

I know, I know, the OS is great in so many ways, I know: If you don't like it don't use it, yada, yada, yada. I'm griping because these are obvious usability issues that have been in place for YEARS. If kicking Forstall to the curb means stuff like this gets fixed then THANK YOU.

/GRIPE

You need a woman.

• Reply 10 of 33

Quote:

Well, yeah. That's how it works for folders, too. Newsstand is a folder

This is a UI usability nightmare, I suggest.  

It's like teaching people the power button will turn power on or off, unless the clock is within five minutes to the hour, in which case your power button will activate an ear piercing siren noise...   How is it like this?  Well, are you going to check the clock every single time you want to power down or power up your computer?  No.  Your mind is on other things.  And you know how the power button works.  You've internalized the function and memorized its use.  So you get ticked every time you get the siren because why are there two different functions for the same UI?

If you're teaching us that the home button leaves your app and sends you back to the app screen where you can open another app -- and this is not only the 6-years-and-running teaching, but it's still true for 90+% of your apps, then why does it sometimes send me to a crazy intermediate screen?  Either the folder, or the newsstand.  This is dumb.  

I don't want to constantly be thinking, "Oh wait, I'm about to hit the home button.  What app am I in?  Okay, now is this a newsstand app?  No.  Okay, but wait, is it in a folder?"

Thus my initial rant.  I think iOS has some clunky vestiges in it that make it annoying to use.  So let's soften the rough edges.  Methinks version 6 is plenty advanced enough to expect as much. 

• Reply 11 of 33
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Any sign of multi-user log-in coming to iOS?

• Reply 12 of 33

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Of course not.

• Reply 13 of 33
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Well, yeah. That's how it works for folders, too. Newsstand is a folder.

Trouble is, I can delete other folders. I can't delete Newsstand.

• Reply 14 of 33
    Ohh, I am guessing that it will be public in January or March.
  • Reply 15 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

I'm happy that an update is coming but does anybody know if the update app is getting fixed? Update is just flaky on both the iPad and their phone.

The update app is not flakey. It works fine.

• Reply 16 of 33
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevt View Post

Why?

• Reply 17 of 33
    vaelianvaelian Posts: 446member
    lkrupp wrote: »
    kevt wrote: »

Why?

Because of the iPad as well as to be able to manage work and home profiles.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    oomuoomu Posts: 130member
    "Any sign of multi-user log-in coming to iOS?"

in a .x version ? of course not.

and I hope never and to forget that all complexity !

-
    When some people speak about how much to go back to folder (or newstand) is usability nightmare, I _DO_ hope we will see NEVER the coming back of "multi user" complexity.
  • Reply 19 of 33
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    shogun wrote: »
    Or for God's sake, when I type, "thisnisnreallynannoying" how hard is it to see that the n's should be spaces?

I don't get why you would type an 'n' instead of using the space bar and then complain that the system doesn't pick up on your code to have certain 'n's replaced with spaces.
  • Reply 20 of 33

While we are creating a wish list. I would like to be able to set which Calendars I see in the Notifications dropdown and get alearts for. I have many shared calendars that I like to follow in the Calendar app but I don't need alerts for all of them. This has been an issue since of the iOS 5 versions. How can it not be resolved yet. :/