'jOBS' biopic to close Sundance Film Festival in January

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In an announcement on Monday, the Sundance Film Festival revealed that the jOBS biopic starring Ashton Kutcher will premier on the last day of the event which runs from Jan. 17 to 27, and will take the honor of being the event's closing film.

jOBS Sundance
Iconic Steve Jobs photo (left) and a publicity shot from the upcoming jOBS biopic (right) via The Hollywood Reporter

First spotted by The Verge, the Sundance release noted jOBS will be a "Closing night film," and will chronicle the defining 30 years of Apple cofounder Steve Jobs.

The cast, including Kutcher in the role of Jobs, was spotted filming at the late tech guru's Los Altos home where the first Apple computer was built. Playing opposite Kutcher will be Ahna O'Reilly as Jobs' ex-girlfriend Chris-Ann Brennan, while Josh Gad will take on the role of Steve Wozniak. Other cast members include Matthew Modine as former Apple CEO John Sculley and an unknown actor who as Microsoft founder Bill Gates.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    I would take this film more seriously if Mr. Demi Moore/Kelso wasn't the star.
  • Reply 2 of 22
    ortort Posts: 39member
    ...or if it wasn't call jOBS.
  • Reply 3 of 22

Originally Posted by ort View Post

...or if it wasn't call jOBS.

At least it's not "jOb$".

• Reply 4 of 22

What is the purpose of "jOBS"?  What does it mean?

• Reply 5 of 22

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

What is the purpose of "jOBS"?  What does it mean?

Lowercase letter preceding the rest of the name. Like iPhone, iPod, iMac…

Yes, it's literally that stupid.

• Reply 6 of 22

Shouldn't it be jObs then? I'm reserving judgement on this film until I see it, it could be good, it could be shocking. I'm not sure about the direction Mr Sorkin is taking with the official movie.

• Reply 7 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Lowercase letter preceding the rest of the name. Like iPhone, iPod, iMac…

Yes, it's literally that stupid.

They should've called it The Crazy One.

• Reply 8 of 22
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member
    I wonder why Jobs has a "Think" poster in the background. That has been IBM's motto since 1914.
  • Reply 9 of 22

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

I like that title. Then they could have gotten their stupid out of they way by having a bite taken out of the O.

• Reply 10 of 22
    macvicta wrote: »

They should have called it That Other 70s Show.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    strawberry wrote: »
    Shouldn't it be jObs then? I'm reserving judgement on this film until I see it, it could be good, it could be shocking. I'm not sure about the direction Mr Sorkin is taking with the official movie.

The title of this movie is so stupid, it's embarrassing to just think about.
  • Reply 12 of 22
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    strawberry wrote: »
    I'm reserving judgement on this film until I see it
    Always a good idea. Any criticism you offer will automatically seem less like hot air from a prejudiced uninformed expert and more like intelligent thought. No guarantees, of course.
  • Reply 13 of 22
    The title's stupid? The star is going to flop? The poster's out of character? Geez, we just love to wallow in negativity don't we. It's all good. I'm looking forward to this movie a lot.
  • Reply 14 of 22
    Does it mean anything that this movie is the closer at Sundance? Might be a positive sign. But, I can't believe Kelso will be a good choice.
  • Reply 15 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

I wonder why Jobs has a "Think" poster in the background. That has been IBM's motto since 1914.

Exactly. Jobs was after IBM at the time. But note that the THINK has been Appled by printing it with rainbow colors. The IBM motto was always printed in black and white.

He's saying he will out do IBM, with style.

Note also that the movie set has the THINK poster distorted, stretched horizontally, so the font is the wrong proportion. Jobs would be having fits if he saw that. It looks awful. That, plus the short time spent creating it, tells me that the movie is likely to have been rushed. It may be worth watching, but we can already see it lacks attention to detail, which is not encouraging.

• Reply 16 of 22

Originally Posted by jd_in_sb View Post

He was already thinking different back then.

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Note also that the movie set has the THINK poster distorted, stretched horizontally, so the font is the wrong proportion. Jobs would be having fits if he saw that. It looks awful.

That could simply be the camera.

• Reply 17 of 22
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alonso Perez View Post

Exactly. Jobs was after IBM at the time. But note that the THINK has been Appled by printing it with rainbow colors. The IBM motto was always printed in black and white.

He's saying he will out do IBM, with style.

Note also that the movie set has the THINK poster distorted, stretched horizontally, so the font is the wrong proportion. Jobs would be having fits if he saw that. It looks awful. That, plus the short time spent creating it, tells me that the movie is likely to have been rushed. It may be worth watching, but we can already see it lacks attention to detail, which is not encouraging.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

The poster is longer horizontally in the original Jobs pic, so it must be the camera angle. Here is the real thing:

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 18 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by waldobushman View Post

Does it mean anything that this movie is the closer at Sundance? Might be a positive sign. But, I can't believe Kelso will be a good choice.

The closer at Fantastic Fest was Red Dawn, a film vastly inferior to the other films that were screened. They're not always creative decisions.

• Reply 19 of 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I would take this film more seriously if Mr. Demi Moore/Kelso wasn't the star.

It is Mr. Demi Moore. There is only one Kelso on TV and his first name is Bob!

• Reply 20 of 22
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Just this.