Google's YouTube iOS app now available for iPad, adds iPhone 5 and AirPlay support

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Coming on the heels of its Gmail refresh, and a host of other iOS app updates released on Tuesday, Google made available its native YouTube app for Apple's iDevices, bringing an optimized user experience for iPad and the iPhone 5's 4-inch screen as well as other enhancements.

YouTube iOS
YouTube iOS app running on an iPhone 5. | Source: YouTube

When Google launched the first standalone YouTube for iOS app in September, the effort was largely considered to be a stopgap until the company was able to build a universal version that would work on both the iPad and iPhone, including the then-unreleased iPhone 5.

Until now, iPad users wanting access to YouTube were forced to download third-party apps or use the ubiquitous web video service's web client through Safari. With Tuesday's update, YouTube is now native on all iOS devices, including the Retina display-toting iPad. The app also supports the iPhone 5's 4-inch display, meaning the app no longer has black "handlebars" when viewing videos in landscape mode, a major gripe some had with the original version released before iOS 6.

YouTube iPad
YouTube homepage as seen on the Retina display iPad.

Along with the new device compatibility, YouTube offers support for Apple's AirPlay, allowing video content to be streamed wirelessly for big-screen viewing via the Apple TV.

From the release notes:
What's New in Version 1.1.0.4136
  • Optimized for iPad and iPhone 5
  • Stream videos with AirPlay
  • Tap logo to open your Guide of channels
  • Add and remove videos from your playlists
  • Clickable links in video descriptions
  • Improved accessibility with VoiceOver
YouTube for iOS weighs in at 11.6 MB and can be downloaded for free from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18

So of what is "gangnam style" a copy? Being that it's South Korean, and all. image

• Reply 2 of 18
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

About damned time they got around to this.

• Reply 3 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

About damned time they got around to this.

Never mind.  No HD/SD switching.  No background audio.  <sigh>

• Reply 4 of 18

Does it support closed captioning so I can watch English subs on Korean and Japanese movies?  If not, they need to at least add that function.

• Reply 5 of 18
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member
    Now, Google Maps please!
  • Reply 6 of 18
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Why would you use Airplay when YouTube is already on an Apple TV?

• Reply 7 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

1. Say your friend comes over and wants to show you something off their Favorites list; it's a lot easier to stream a video directly rather than log you out of YouTube and log them in, not to mention vice-versa.

2. Some people find the Apple TV YouTube interface cumbersome. (I'm not one of them, but I've seen this argument from people who do.)

3. Maybe the YouTube app will be disappeared in a future Apple TV update?  (I hope not.  I actually really like it.)

• Reply 8 of 18
    Observation:

How funny that the YouTube app for the iPad(2 even!) is AFAIK a much better user experience than that on a Nexus 7. Very smooth and responsive on the iPad2,3 and 4 vs. slower and clunkier on the N7, Google's very own "reference" device.

Also... as it pertains to the overall UX of the N7: after you finish watching a video in landscape mode, the YT app flips "automagically" to portrait mode and refuses to go back to landscape until you go back to the channel feed. :rolleyes:

NOTE: this happens with a LOT of Android "tablet" apps on the N7. *Anyone know if it is different on Android tablets larger than 7"?

* = the unbelievable level of geekery and a lack of decent answers on most Android forums I have been to, is the reason that I won't go there unless I have to. Anybody?

Disclaimer: N7 purchased due to curiosity, more and more people asking me about Android devices, and the need to know first hand how these devices stack up against iOS devices. My take after 6 weeks of using both: Android is "good enough" just like Windows on the desktop. Neither of these systems should be recommended to the average consumer.

Once again in my life I have to deal with cheap, do-it-all platforms, that while powerful and could metaphorically "send a man to the moon"... could also very easily and simply blow up before it gets out of the atmosphere. Worst of all... many of the people I help are literally "afraid" of their device and doing something wrong to screw it up. That's the worst thing about it... because eventually, they do :no:
  • Reply 9 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

So of what is "gangnam style" a copy? Being that it's South Korean, and all. image

Casual racism, nice. Tell me, do you believe that to be appropriate behavior for a moderator?

• Reply 10 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

No background audio.  <sigh>

A video app.

• Reply 11 of 18
    ireland wrote: »
    A video app.
    Yeah... but funny how everybody I know uses it as a free music streaming app. Seriously.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Still doesn't support web proxies for Enterprises that have to use them.
  • Reply 13 of 18

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

Casual racism, nice. Tell me, do you believe that to be appropriate behavior for a moderator?

Simple: "South Korean" is not a race, their copyism has nothing whatsoever to do with their race inherently, and with a centuries-long history of being imitators, it makes sense to be able to draw parallels between the current situation in tech and this pop-up success video to make a joke about it.

• Reply 14 of 18
    elehcdnelehcdn Posts: 388member

I don't want to hijack this thread but ...

Yesterday night, I got nailed with the humongous data overage charges on my new iPad mini ATT 3G. As best as I can quickly figure, overnight, I managed to churn through 6+GB of data. Looking through my logs, I was downloading about 19.5 MG every minute from about 10:30 pm last night until 7:00 am this morning when I began to get the text notifications.

Speaking to ATT, this issue is because

1. When the iPad mini running ios6 is sleeping, it no longer uses wifi but reverts to 3G (even though I have a strong wifi signal with an Airport Express about 6 feet away)

2. Some application was continually running and pulling down data all night long

The reason that I bring this up in this thread is because the culprit appears to be an application that I rarely use but was open last night - Jasmine - the 3rd party YouTube replacement for running in ios6.

So the question becomes ... if Jasmine was the culprit in this problem, will we see the same usage issues with the "official" YouTube application?

Fwiw, I saw this earlier with both my daughter and son's iPhones and suspected the issue may be YouTube. In those cases, I was able to get them to shutdown their data before they went deep into overages. As a result, I went to a shared data plan with all of our devices including the new iPad mini. Last night, I was over our data plan by 7GB (double the contract amount) and luckily ATT reversed the overages, but I am going to have to now worry about, a) whether i am going to use YouTube, and b) whether i am now going to have to make sure to shut down every application running in the background before i go to bed.

• Reply 15 of 18
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

So Gangnam Style ISN'T South Korean?

"So of what is "gangnam style" a copy? Being that it's generically earth based, and all"

There you go, is that politically correct enough for you?

• Reply 16 of 18

My biggest pet peeve is that you can't switch to HD quality on a cellular connection, not even LTE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

For teenagers that make heavy use of YouTube, the AppleTV interface leaves a lot to be desired.  Great if you want to watch an occasional video, but the AppleTV YouTube app falls short when it comes to the whole comments/subscriptions/video series experience.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

A video app.

My son and his friends use YouTube as a de facto music streaming application.  It's pretty widespread, actually.  There is a lot of music content on YT that isn't available with the more "traditional" streaming apps.

• Reply 17 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Simple: "American" is not a race, their war-mongering has nothing whatsoever to do with their race inherently, and with a centuries-long history of  obliterating natives from their own homeland, it makes sense to be able to draw parallels between the current situation in Middle East and their war mongering of yore  to make a joke about it.

There, fixed that for you.

• Reply 18 of 18

Quote:

Never mind.  No HD/SD switching.  No background audio.  <sigh>

WTF Google?  Background audio on Chrome for iOS but no background audio with their YouTube app?

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/chrome/id535886823

Quote:

What's New in Version 23.0.1271.96

Allow sound to play when app is backgrounded