Apple to restore duplicate song search in forthcoming iTunes 11 update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 73
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tryd wrote: »
    But it is not possible to copy and paste album art any more. I need that functionality all the time. It is really annoying that this is not possible any more.

1) Why do you need that functionality all the time?

2) It's still possible.
  • Reply 42 of 73
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I don't see why this is such an issue. How many people really feel as you do insofar that thumbnail size is too small but the single-click of the larger one is too big, despite being able to resize it to a 250x250 image.

I don't care for the MiniPlayer and the fact this isn't just a pic of the album cover but a resizable one with overlay controls means I don't have to have the entire window dedicated to my iTunes app.

It is not a big issue that the album art in the bottom left corner is gone. What is the issue is that some people claim that album art with controls window is a viable way of controlling iTunes. It is not. All the controls in it are replicated on the keyboard and are faster to use via the keyboard. Most of the real interaction with iTunes is selecting what one wants to play, not hitting the start/stop button or adjusting the volume. This means, iTunes is either in the background and you interact with it via the keyboard or you are browsing your library (or do other 'work' in it). In neither situation is the album art window of any use (unless you have truly too much screen real estate and can keep it tucked away in a corner somewhere but most people would not want that extra visual distraction while they work on their computer).

• Reply 43 of 73
    Maybe they'll get it right later...but right now it blows.
  • Reply 44 of 73

Originally Posted by tryd View Post

But it is not possible to copy and paste album art any more. I need that functionality all the time. It is really annoying that this is not possible any more.

Of course it is. Do it.

• Reply 45 of 73
    galleygalley Posts: 971member
    The "Part of a gapless album" checkbox had nothing to do with gapless playback. iTunes does that by default. Checking that option would keep two adjacent album tracks from being played back-to-back when the crossfade option was turned on.
  • Reply 46 of 73
    noirdesir wrote: »

It is not a big issue that the album art in the bottom left corner is gone. What is the issue is that some people claim that album art with controls window is a viable way of controlling iTunes. It is not. All the controls in it are replicated on the keyboard and are faster to use via the keyboard. Most of the real interaction with iTunes is selecting what one wants to play, not hitting the start/stop button or adjusting the volume. This means, iTunes is either in the background and you interact with it via the keyboard or you are browsing your library (or do other 'work' in it). In neither situation is the album art window of any use (unless you have truly too much screen real estate and can keep it tucked away in a corner somewhere but most people would not want that extra visual distraction while they work on their computer).

So they removed the ability to use the keyboard to control iTunes 11? :???:
  • Reply 47 of 73
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by september11th View Post

[...] feels like form over function. 

That's been Apple's slogan for over a year now.

• Reply 48 of 73
    trydtryd Posts: 143member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) Why do you need that functionality all the time?

2) It's still possible.

1: Because I rip a lot of CDs, and iTunes usually can't find the album art. Just last week I ripped 75 CDs and iTunes didn't find any of the album art. Each CD contains many works - those CDs probably contained at least 200 works.

2: No it isn't. Yes, it is possible to paste album art by selecting the work, open the Info-window and paste it there. This, however means 3 operations for what earlier took only 1. And some times iTunes finds the album art for one work, but not for the others on the CD. Earlier I could copy the album art from the iTunes window and paste it in for the other works. This isn't possible any more. Now I have 3 options - either find the album art on the internet, Make a screen dump (CMD-Ctrl-Shift-4) or take a photo of the CD. Very inconvenient.

• Reply 49 of 73
    No it isn't. Yes, it is possible to paste album art by selecting the work, open the Info-window and paste it there. This, however means 3 operations for what earlier took only 1. And some times iTunes finds the album art for one work, but not for the others on the CD. Earlier I could copy the album art from the iTunes window and paste it in for the other works. This isn't possible any more. Now I have 3 options - either find the album art on the internet, Make a screen dump (CMD-Ctrl-Shift-4) or take a photo of the CD. Very inconvenient.

Copy album art to clipboard, right click on the album, choose Get Info, paste image, hit OK to save. Regardless if you feel it's less convenient than it was before you clearly stated "it is not possible to copy and paste album art any more" and "is not possible any more" despite being informed twice now that it is possible to copy and paste artwork into iTunes.
  • Reply 50 of 73

You are right - I was not being precise. My only excuse is that English is not my first language. It is possible to paste album art (I'm not too sure about copying though...). But it is much more inconvenient and takes much more time. They took something that was very easy and fast in iTunes 10 and made it much more difficult and inconvenient in iTunes 11. 

I don't quite understand why. If they used the space they saved for something useful, I could understand it, but as far as I can see they don't. It is very convenient to have the album art displayed in the main window and not having to open a separate window to see it properly. When you have more than 30 recordings of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony as I have, the album art becomes necessary.

Why could'n they have added a "Copy albumart" and "Paste albumart" to the contextual menu you get when you right-click on an album? That would have solved my main problem. I can live with not having the album art in the main window, as I find that I use the miniplayer for playback much more now than before, and with the miniplayer as the main window, having an extra window open for the album art is not a problem.

• Reply 51 of 73
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member

Quote:

Also - some times iTunes would find the album art for one work on the album, but not on the others. In iTunes 10 you could just copy the album art from the field in the bottom left corner, in iTunes 11 you can't.

Any workarounds?

Not sure if this is what you mean but in a list view, you can select all (Cmd A) then get info (Cmd i) and in the first tab (info) there is an 'Artwork' box where you can past art that will be embedded in the file

• Reply 52 of 73

Yes, I know. But the old way was much more convenient - just paste the album art on the "Album art field" in the main Window. Which is now gone. And some times iTunes would find the correct album art for one work on a CD, but not for the other. Then you could just copy the album art from the same field, and paste in that field for the other works. This doesn't work any more. I have not found where I can copy albumart from an album in iTunes. Does anybody know?

Thank you for the suggestion.

BTW: It is just a nuisance, not a dealbreaker. In general I like iTunes11 better than iTunes10. I just don't understand whay they would remove this functionality.

• Reply 53 of 73

I'm making $86 an hour working from home. I was shocked when my neighbour told me she was averaging $95 but I see how it works now. I feel so much freedom now that I'm my own boss. This is what I do,  cloud68dotcom
  • Reply 54 of 73
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

I have not found where I can copy albumart from an album in iTunes.

Are you asking how to "capture" the artwork from one song and apply it to other songs?

I use the "Get Info" window. Select the track that has the album art, click the "Artwork" tab and drag the image onto the desktop. I then select all the tracks to which I want to apply that artwork, select "Get Info" again (CMND-I) and drag the image from the desktop into the artwork window in the "Info" pane.

• Reply 55 of 73

Quote:

You are right - I was not being precise. My only excuse is that English is not my first language. It is possible to paste album art (I'm not too sure about copying though...). But it is much more inconvenient and takes much more time. They took something that was very easy and fast in iTunes 10 and made it much more difficult and inconvenient in iTunes 11. 

I don't quite understand why. If they used the space they saved for something useful, I could understand it, but as far as I can see they don't. It is very convenient to have the album art displayed in the main window and not having to open a separate window to see it properly. When you have more than 30 recordings of Beethoven's 3rd Symphony as I have, the album art becomes necessary.

Why could'n they have added a "Copy albumart" and "Paste albumart" to the contextual menu you get when you right-click on an album? That would have solved my main problem. I can live with not having the album art in the main window, as I find that I use the miniplayer for playback much more now than before, and with the miniplayer as the main window, having an extra window open for the album art is not a problem.

I agree completely.  It quickly becomes annoying to manage/modify album art if you are dealing with more than a few tracks.  I find it especially irksome that you can't even see whether there is correct/any album art without either playing the track or opening the (modal) Get Info dialog and selecting the artwork tab.  All you had to do before was click the song.

This change is almost as annoying as not being able to open/view a playlist in a new window anymore.

• Reply 56 of 73

Is anyone else having trouble with purchase downloads from the iTunes store in iTunes 11?  When I purchase a track, it downloads but then frequently does not show up in the library.  I then have to go to the "Purchased" link in the store and re-download it for it to be properly added to the library.  The original download files can be found languishing in my Music\iTunes\iTunes Media\Downloads folder (I'm using 64-bit Windows 7).  I never had this issue in previous versions.

• Reply 57 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by v5v View Post

Are you asking how to "capture" the artwork from one song and apply it to other songs?

I use the "Get Info" window. Select the track that has the album art, click the "Artwork" tab and drag the image onto the desktop. I then select all the tracks to which I want to apply that artwork, select "Get Info" again (CMND-I) and drag the image from the desktop into the artwork window in the "Info" pane.

That would work I guess. But why make it so difficult when they already had a very easy and functional way to do it? This would become extremely tiresome if you had to do it for let's say 200 works/albums, like I sometimes have to. How much extra time would this incur for me after i ripped the 144-CD collection of Arthur Rubinsteins complete RCA-recordings (which I did a couple of months back)? Those 144 CDs probably contains more than 500 works that all should have different album art.

And why do you have to drag it to the desktop - why not make the Copy-option available from the Edit-menu?

• Reply 58 of 73
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    If it finds the album art, it will be embedded in the library file, and not in the music file, which means that the album art is lost if you move the file to another library, or play it through another system (like Sonos wireless).

That… doesn't make sense. Did it just start doing that?

Nope, that's always been that way.
    Gapless playback is gone?! WTH

That indeed is sorely missed. Unless of course they only took out the option to set it that way, but now without the option it could still work of course. I haven't imported a Live Album and see if it played gapless...

solipsismx wrote: »
    Yes, it is possible to paste album art by selecting the work, open the Info-window and paste it there.(...) Very inconvenient.

Copy album art to clipboard, right click on the album, choose Get Info, paste image, hit OK to save.

1. I also think it's inconvenient. I also paste artwork into the lower left, pre-11, pane.

2. If you paste the art in the 2nd tab it's saved in the library, if you paste it into the 7th tab it's embedded into the song. Makes a difference: see above ^
  • Reply 59 of 73

Quote:

That would work I guess. But why make it so difficult when they already had a very easy and functional way to do it? This would become extremely tiresome if you had to do it for let's say 200 works/albums, like I sometimes have to. How much extra time would this incur for me after i ripped the 144-CD collection of Arthur Rubinsteins complete RCA-recordings (which I did a couple of months back)? Those 144 CDs probably contains more than 500 works that all should have different album art.

And why do you have to drag it to the desktop - why not make the Copy-option available from the Edit-menu?

You must realise that you are in a small minority in ripping a 144 CD collection requiring 500 different pieces of art. I would bet that the majority of users, who even rip CDs, once they have ripped their CD collection, are only adding a handful of CDs each week. Apple has removed and is not going to replace Coverflow because it is "a feature that Apple told Mossberg was considered useful by "too few users." I suspect even fewer users use iTunes in the way that you do

Adding or changing existing artwork is not that difficult using cmd+i or the two finger tap for Get Info, in fact this was the way I always added artwork previously.

You don't have to drag existing iTunes artwork to the desktop to add it to other songs. Copy and Paste may be greyed out in the Edit menu but cmd+c and cmd+v still work. To add artwork from the internet you can copy & paste or simply click and drag from website to Artwork box.

• Reply 60 of 73

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

That indeed is sorely missed. Unless of course they only took out the option to set it that way, but now without the option it could still work of course. I haven't imported a Live Album and see if it played gapless...

Quote:

Originally Posted by nabziF View Post

The gapless field was removed because it is for the most part needlessly redundant. For some time now, the iTunes application and Apple's iDevices playback as gapless by default already, regardless of whether the gapless field is checked.

In fact, for some time it's been difficult or impossible to disable gapless playback. But this is an entirely different complaint.

As has already been pointed out by nabziF on page 1, gapless is the default setting for iTunes. All albums play this way; as soon as one track finishes the next one starts. Any 'gaps' are the fadeout on the track created by the artist/producer. Of course you can remove these natural silences if you wish by adjusting the end times of individual tracks.

I just trashed and re-ripped Giorgio Moroder's E = Mc², an album I know to have a 'gapless side', to see if it behaved any differently in iTunes 11. It doesn't; it plays 'side one' non-stop just as it's always done.