Tim Cook hints that Apple plans to redefine the television set

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook has poured gasoline on the growing fire of speculation that his company plans to build a full-fledged television set in the near future, with comments disparaging current television sets as outdated pieces of technology.

Cook's strongest hints to date on the prospect of an Apple television came from an interview with Brian Williams of NBC's Rock Center, set to air tonight at 10 p.m. Eastern. In that interview, the CEO was asked what's next for Apple, and he hinted that the company has big plans for the living room.

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook said. "It's an area of intense interest. I can't say more than that."

Cook's comments are the most aggressive yet in hinting that Apple could be working on a television set ? a product that has been rumored to be in the works for years. Previously, the CEO has also used the words "intense interest" to refer to its Apple TV set-top box, an existing television accessory that streams movies, TV shows and other content.

Apple television

Rumors of an Apple television have persisted for years, but they picked up considerable steam late last year when the authorized biography of Apple co-founder Steve Jobs was published. In that book, Jobs told biographer Walter Isaacson that he had "finally cracked" the secret to building a television.

"It will have the simplest user interface you could imagine," Jobs said.

Then in January, a report from USA Today claimed that Apple's lead designer, Jony Ive, had a "slick" 50-inch prototype television set housed inside his secure California design studio. It claimed that Apple is looking to build televisions sized 42 inches and larger with built-in Wi-Fi connectivity.

Analyst Gene Munster of Piper Jaffray has long been a proponent for an Apple television. In November, he predicted that such a product would be one of three core launches for the company in 2013, joined by a refreshed iPhone and updated iPad lineup.

Munster believes Apple's television will be priced between $1,500 and $2,000, with screen sizes between 42 and 55 inches, and would go on sale in time for the 2013 holiday shopping season.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 219
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I hope so. I've got a Samsung Smart TV. The actual display is fantastic but the Smart TV functionality is woeful. Slow, terrible UI, constant updates... about the only good feature is that you can plug in any old USB hard-drive and use it as a DVR.
  • Reply 2 of 219
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    How does that comment indicate Apple is planning a television set?
  • Reply 3 of 219
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

I don't think people really want their TV interactive, they want it to be something they can veg out in front of at the end of a long day's work.

They don't want it to be individualised either, part of the point is having shared experiences (the programs) you can talk about with other people. One thing that might be good is if there was a news ticker along the bottom where you and your friends on the Internet can type comments as you all watch the same program.

• Reply 4 of 219
    taniatania Posts: 63member
    "pour gasoline..." LOL. Very accurate description.
  • Reply 5 of 219
    Maybe 2013 will be the year of the tv.
  • Reply 6 of 219
    nobodyynobodyy Posts: 377member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I don't think people really want their TV interactive, they want it to be something they can veg out in front of at the end of a long day's work.

They don't want it to be individualised either, part of the point is having shared experiences (the programs) you can talk about with other people. One thing that might be good is if there was a news ticker along the bottom where you and your friends on the Internet can type comments as you all watch the same program.

You and everyone else don't know what you want. But as soon as you see it, you'll know then.

• Reply 7 of 219
    I have no doubt that Apple is working to take over the living room.
    I am looking forward to it.
    I hope they work with Loewe on designs...

http://www.loewe.tv/int

Time will tell.
  • Reply 8 of 219
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

I sure as hell don't want that. You can keep that crap! image

When I watch TV, I'm there to enjoy it with my wife and my son. I don't want some ticker running across the screen or to be chatting with other people while I'm watching the program -- it's a stupid distraction. My wife is right there, I'll chat and laugh with her as we watch the Big Bang Theory or one of our other favorite programs. We don't see each other all day, so our time to bond is at home at the dinner table, and sitting on the couch/snuggling in bed watching our favorite programs.

I guess my point is, everything doesn't have to be "social".

• Reply 9 of 219
    patsupatsu Posts: 430member
    It's the carpet damn it.
  • Reply 10 of 219
    This reveal is sooo un-Steve like ....
  • Reply 11 of 219
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"When I go into my living room and turn on the TV, I feel like I have gone backwards in time by 20 to 30 years," Cook said.

Tim, Tim, Tim...I think it's time for an upgrade my friend. So wheel out your old set...

and wheel in the new...

• Reply 12 of 219

Being "Social" is for people that have forgotten how to really live with people.

• Reply 13 of 219
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    rogifan wrote: »
    How does that comment indicate Apple is planning a television set?

It doesn't. But the rumor has been round for so long that everything is proof it is true.

I still say it will be a revamp of the iTunes Store offerings with things like new pricing, better quality with quick adoption of h.265 etc combined with a new STB and perhaps a revamped Cinema Display that could be used as a TV or a computer monitor.
  • Reply 14 of 219
    ascii wrote: »

Some folks might but I think they are a minority and would be just as happy with that side of things coming from an app on their iPad.
  • Reply 15 of 219
    mobius wrote: »
    and wheel in the new...
    LL

And folks complain about the Apple TV UI
  • Reply 16 of 219

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mobius View Post

Tim, Tim, Tim...I think it's time for an upgrade my friend. So wheel out your old set...

he's talking late 80s to early 90s. that tv is from the 60s... over 50 years old.

• Reply 17 of 219
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

You guys realize that these 'hints' are deliberately being dropped just to ensure shoppers don't buy TV this winter, right?

• Reply 18 of 219
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    I sure as hell don't want that. You can keep that crap! :lol:

When I watch TV, I'm there to enjoy it with my wife and my son. I don't want some ticker running across the screen or to be chatting with other people while I'm watching the program -- it's a stupid distraction. My wife is right there, I'll chat and laugh with her as we watch the Big Bang Theory or one of our other favorite programs. We don't see each other all day, so our time to bond is at home at the dinner table, and sitting on the couch/snuggling in bed watching our favorite programs.

I guess my point is, everything doesn't have to be "social".

I hear you. In fact there are times when I wish there was an 'anti-social' option!
  • Reply 19 of 219

Quote:

So all those people buying all those Smart TV's don't want them?  I mean even Google is doing smart TV's and adapters.  Think on this, those who use Hulu, or Netflix, do you really want to have multiple items in the room to do that or just one, your TV.  Some living rooms have multiple consoles and even Netflix is stating PS3 is top used item to watch them.  But if you can cut your electric bill by just using one unit instead of 2 to watch your shows and such, wouldn't you?

So you then rather use a laptop on your lap while watching TV too?  I know many people that surf the web and/or chat on their laptop/tablet/phone/etc while watching TV.  I mean have you seen some of the FB (Facebook) posts.  One line comments on shows they are watching, or such.  Or even channels have their own app's now a day's such as CW.  You can watch their shows a day later on the app if you missed the show the day before, or your DVR skipped it for some reason. Start up the app and watch your shows.  Be on the couch on large screen instead of a small chair on small screen in your computer area.

Bottom line, Apple doing the entire TV OS and all would be a good step for them.  With all the ones out there now, it would prob be an improvement to most if not all of the "smart" OS's out there already.  

• Reply 20 of 219

Somehow, I don't think Tim has time to watch TV.