Tim Cook 'ditched' physical keyboards, uses iPad and iPhone 80% of the time

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
NBC has posted another snippet of Tim Cook's interview with Brian Williams, this time regarding the Apple chief's love of the virtual keyboards implemented in iOS device like the iPad and iPhone.

Time Cook Interview
NBC's Brian Williams (left) interviews Apple CEO Tim Cook (right). | Source: TVNewser

In the brief clip, Williams asks Cook if he ever responds to emails from customers, whether it be praise, questions or negative feedback regarding one of Apple's products.

"Every day," Cook said, explaining, "I get hundreds, and some days thousands of emails from customers. This is a privilege because they talk to you as if you're sitting at their kitchen table. Because they care so deeply about Apple, they want to make a suggestion, or want to ask for help on something, or want to tell you how much they love the product."

The Apple head admitted that sometimes he "gets an earful" from disappointed customers.

Williams asked Cook how adept he is at using the virtual keyboard, noting that many find the feature "confounding."

"Pretty good," he said. "I think if you stick with it a little while you get quite good at it. And the auto correction is quite good."

Cook said he "dtiched" the physical keyboard, and although he still uses a Mac, 80 percent of his time is spent on an iPad.

"Of course I've got this with me all the time," Cook said, holding up a white iPhone 5.

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    So how do I just actually watch the whole interview?
  • Reply 2 of 35
    He doesn't have an iPhone 5!?
  • Reply 3 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchLiebeApfel View Post

That's the first thing I thought as well. He should have been rocking an iPhone 5 months ago.

• Reply 4 of 35
    ".. Cook said, holding up a white iPhone 4S."

So Tim Cook doesn't even carry an iPhone 5??? Guess I don't blame him - the cost of breaking contract is expensive. :)
  • Reply 5 of 35
    No one expects the CEO to spend his day using a keyboard. On the other hand, the rest of us are far more productive with them and a mouse.
  • Reply 6 of 35

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

…the rest of us are far more productive with them and a mouse.

Mmm…

• Reply 7 of 35
    kevtkevt Posts: 195member

Quote:

Originally Posted by IchLiebeApfel View Post

Maybe I'm not the only one who prefers the 4S form factor - size, proportions, glass back. 

• Reply 8 of 35
    tzterritzterri Posts: 110member

Quote:

Originally Posted by franktinsley View Post

So how do I just actually watch the whole interview?

Brian Williams full interview with Apple CEO Tim Cook airs tonight, Dec. 6 at 10pm/9c on NBC’s Rock Center with Brian Williams.  

• Reply 9 of 35
    Has anyone actually watched the video? He is holding an iPhone 5.
  • Reply 10 of 35
    Nice to know I'm not alone in finding that my iMac is gathering dust. Didn't plan it that way, it just happened.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

No one expects the CEO to spend his day using a keyboard. On the other hand, the rest of us are far more productive with them and a mouse.

I no longer use a computer for email, the only time I didn't used to use iOS was for scanning attachments, now I use dropbox, iBooks and mail.

Mouse I only use at work, an excellent trackpad, such as on MacBooks easily substitutes, cheap Windows laptops not so much.

• Reply 12 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

I no longer use a computer for email, the only time I didn't used to use iOS was for scanning attachments, now I use dropbox, iBooks and mail.

Mouse I only use at work, an excellent trackpad, such as on MacBooks easily substitutes, cheap Windows laptops not so much.

Good for you. I'm not driving around, chatting up my day.

• Reply 13 of 35
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

You're assuming a lot here ("the rest of us").  I can type 60-70 wpm on a physical keyboard but I type about 40 wpm on the iPad virtual keyboard.  The physical keyboard is definitely faster, but I think that for most people, the majority of the time they don't need to type anywhere that fast.  I know some serious IT guys that are far more qualified than me who still use two fingers and type about 30 wpm as a result.  

Unless you are writing a novel or are an old-school typist or secretary there really isn't a need for sustained high-speed typing anymore.  I can basically thumb-type on my iPad's virtual keyboard while walking down the hallway and dodging through the crowd faster than most people type sitting at a desktop with a physical keyboard and isn't that enough?  

Also, since I'm close to a million years old, I suspect that "kids" will soon be doing this even faster.  Physical keyboards will soon be used only for certain, specific, dedicated uses IMO.  

• Reply 14 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    No, we have too many illiterate people that don't read, or their auto-correction is working the way it wants to work.
  • Reply 15 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member
    Nice to know I'm not alone in finding that my iMac is gathering dust. Didn't plan it that way, it just happened.
    Well, I u my iPad a few hours a day, but I prefer a keyboard, a big screen, and being able to do many things at the same time. But I will use my iPad to do some correspondence, but I prefer to use my iMac.
  • Reply 16 of 35

Yea, he's quite obviously holding an iPhone 4S. They need to change that. Someone should have asked him why he's carrying the 4S rather than the 5. I have the 5 and I think it was a great improvement over the 4S, but I can see how some people would like the 4S because of its smaller size. I have huge hands, so I don't have a problem with the longer screen, lol. The aluminum back doesn't bother me either since I always wear a case. Its still in perfect condition. But if you want to rock a naked iPhone, I would be afraid of the 5's aluminum back getting scratched and/or dented.

• Reply 17 of 35
    kevt wrote: »
    Maybe I'm not the only one who prefers the 4S form factor - size, proportions, glass back. 

No, you are not the only one. IMO update to LTE (if the chips will fit) etc and its good to go.
  • Reply 18 of 35
    kevt wrote: »

No, you are not the only one. IMO update to LTE (if the chips will fit) etc and its good to go.
  • Reply 19 of 35
    Well of course he would have ditched physical keyboards if he is the CEO of a company which manufactures them, matching his highest costumer demand.
  • Reply 20 of 35
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

He's a well known workaholic, and a that person who spends all their time working would do 80% of their typing on an iPad stretches credibility.