Cook admits love of 'Jetsons,' but little else to NBC about potential Apple television

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Brian Williams of NBC admitted it was "frustrating" trying to pry answers from Apple's elusive CEO Tim Cook, particularly when the two discussed the possibility of an Apple television.

Cook

In an effort to find out what might be in Apple's pipeline, Williams asked Cook about the progress of technology and what might be to come. Cook recalled when he was a child and a fan of the animated TV show "The Jetsons," a program that fantasized about the potential technology of the future."

"I loved 'The Jetsons,'" Cook said on NBC's Rock Center Thursday night. "We're living the Jetsons with this."

Attempting to get more out of Cook, Williams noted that Apple's FaceTime video chat is straight out of "The Jetsons," but "television is still television."

Cook

Cook would only go as far as to say that the television set was an area of "intense interest" for Apple, but smiled when he noted that he couldn't say "more than that."

Williams then employed a different approach, asking Cook to finish a sentence: "Ten years from now, Americans will be amazed that they ever?" But again, Cook declined to take the bait.

"Our whole role in life is to give you something you didn't know you wanted, and then once you get it, you can't imagine your life without it," he told Williams "And you can count on Apple doing that."

Cook

The two also spent some time discussing a bit about Cook's personal life, revealing that he ? like Apple co-founder Steve Jobs ? is a big fan of Bob Dylan. The program also noted that U.S. politician Bobby Kennedy was his hero growing up.

Cook also revealed that he works out to keep stress away, and is in the gym by 5 a.m. every morning. He said that if he has the free time, he enjoys going to a national park.

"These are things that calm my mind and allow me to think clearly," he said, "and so that's what I do."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Is AI going to create a separate thread for everything Cook discussed in the interview? :no:
  • Reply 2 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Is AI going to create a separate thread for everything Cook discussed in the interview? image

Just every sentence.

• Reply 3 of 52
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    Just every sentence.
    Give it a rest. If you don't have anything intelligent to say, don't post. Oops - that would eliminate a good portion of the posts on AI!
  • Reply 4 of 52
    The remote control that the Jetson's used only had two buttons on it. It's pretty sad to spend so much money on plasma and LCD TV and you still can't get a remote that is backlit.
  • Reply 5 of 52

I always preferred The Flintstones myself.

• Reply 6 of 52
    Did Brian Williams actually think he was "journalistic" enough to pry from Tim Cook Apple's plan for the Living Room and the Television? Sorry Brian, you are not as 'great' at your profession as you would like to think you are!
  • Reply 7 of 52
    Of course you would not get much from Tim Cook why would he reveal a secret as big as a tv. Did Samsung do a interview and say we're creating a tv.
  • Reply 8 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    So has anybody managed to see it on something else besides NBC? It must be liberated . . .

I like the "area of intense interest for us" part.
  • Reply 9 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Cook doesn't look great in this. Hard to believe he works out everyday and spends his free time in national parks.

Is he a smoker?
  • Reply 10 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac_128 View Post

Cook doesn't look great in this. Hard to believe he works out everyday and spends his free time in national parks.

Is he a smoker?

Well, not in the straight sense of the word...

• Reply 11 of 52
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I don't think he believes in the future of the Jetsons: happy people enjoying their lives and enjoying technology.

He thinks the future is an environmental catastrophe, that's why he keep's investing all this Apple money in fuel cells etc.
  • Reply 12 of 52

Forget an Apple TV, they can't stream rentals or purchases. For months now I have been trying to stream purchases and rentals, no hope. For the purchases I have to download. One hour for 1.5 GBs. I have a high speed ADSL2 connection. Other services I have no problems. Google it, people are screaming about it. Why would you buy an Apple TV if they can't get the iCloud streaming right.

• Reply 13 of 52

Cook is becoming really badass.

The best CEO Apple could get (right know).

• Reply 14 of 52
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    It's pretty sad to spend so much money on plasma and LCD TV and you still can't get a remote that is backlit.

Don't you know Samsung has invented something for this problem¿ In the dark I search for and find my remote, I fiddle around in the dark long enough to find the right button and then the backlit turns on. Just a bummer the light always turns off while looking for my intended button to press...
  • Reply 15 of 52
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Forget an Apple TV, they can't stream rentals or purchases. For months now I have been trying to stream purchases and rentals, no hope. For the purchases I have to download. One hour for 1.5 GBs. I have a high speed ADSL2 connection. Other services I have no problems. Google it, people are screaming about it. Why would you buy an Apple TV if they can't get the iCloud streaming right.

Streams just fine for me, straight from iCloud through my AppleTV to my TV. The beauty is it all goes through iTunes, a little program I have used for 11 years now, single-sign-on and all. Couldn't be easier. iTunes, perhaps you've heard of it?

• Reply 16 of 52

You'll all see it when they get it right and with 400 million customers they'll do just fine

• Reply 17 of 52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien Hatfield View Post

LOL. You can't even get an Apple TV to work? And you've been trying for months now with no solution? How did you even find this web page? How do you eat without choking?

• Reply 18 of 52

"This is definitive proof that Apple is going to create a robot. If you disagree, you're a complete idiot and have no right to speak your mind."

No, seriously, I got that somewhere else when I questioned an article that said an Apple television was confirmed. image

• Reply 19 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member

Maybe it's just my fanboism, but NBC seems to imply only Apple uses China labor. They should have stated, "Like many electronics companies, Apple products are manufactured in Asia..."

• Reply 20 of 52

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Maybe it's just my fanboism, but NBC seems to imply only Apple uses China labor. They should have stated, "Like many electronics companies, Apple products are manufactured in Asia..."

Apple controversy gets hits. Controversy from anyone else, particularly the companies that are actually controversial, doesn't.