iPhone 5 showing 'In Stock' status in international Online Apple Stores

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In time for the lucrative holiday shopping season, a number of international Online Apple Stores, including the U.S. and Canada, are showing immediate availability of the company's newest iPhone 5.

iPhone 5 in Stock
Source: Apple

After weeks delayed shipment times due to severe supply constraints, some Online Apple Stores are now listing the iPhone 5 as being "In Stock," suggesting supply is finally catching up to demand.

The most recent update in shipment times, first spotted by MacRumors, is the first time Apple's handset has been in stock since launching in September. Demand for the new iPhone was so high that sales topped five million units over the device's first weekend of availability, exhausting the company's initial supply.

"Demand for iPhone 5 has been incredible and we are working hard to get an iPhone 5 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible," Apple CEO Tim Cook said at the time.

Ship-by times have been slowly improving over the past month as Apple's online storefront quoted two to three week delivery times in mid-November, which improved to two weeks by the end of the month.

Apple is scheduled to start iPhone 5 sales in China next week and demand looks to be strong as the nation's second-largest carrier recorded over 100,000 reservations just hours after the device went up for preorder on Dec. 4.

Friday's news comes about a week after most U.S. brick-and-mortar Apple Stores were reported to have all versions of the handset on hand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    The 5 is just the right size to make a nice stocking stuffer!

Nice timing Mr. Cook.
  • Reply 2 of 25

While this is the season to be jolly, watch what a magician can do with a iPad...

http://www.businessinsider.com/ipad-magic-tricks-2012-12

• Reply 3 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    And some clown on CNBC today spun this as a negative claiming it means the demand is soft. Oh, ok. So having it out of stock and not available for Christmas would be better. :no: Yet these same clowns upped their sales target and are now saying anything less than 50M iPhones sold in the quarter will be failure. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 4 of 25
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

iPhone 5 is in stock: soft demand!  Sell the stock!  Apple is doomed!

iPhone 5 is not in stock: supply chain problems!  Sell the stock!  Apple is doomed!

Apple is selling zillions of phones: but they may not sell next year!  Stock goes down!  Apple is doomed!

Fiscal Cliff!  End of the World!  

Maybe the Mayans were right about 2012 being the end of the world after all.  And the cause of the crash of humanity will be human hysteria and irrational panic lol.

The only thing that survives is Amazon.  They lose money on every Kindle, they have a P/E of 10,000, and still they will survive the Appleocalypse like cockroaches haha.

Happy December 7.  512ke :)

• Reply 5 of 25
    rfhjrrfhjr Posts: 44member

Apple had a full year of nearly 100% adulation from the business press.  Now, it is fashionable to dump on the company without the slightest shred of evidence.  As an example, this week's iPad Mini launch in China, strictly controlled via an advance lottery purchase system, succeeded in maintaining order at China based stores.  This was spun into a negative - demand must be weak, no glass doors were shattered, and no fights broke out.  Ditto for the U.S. launch - $329 is a disappointing entry price, it must be lower to compete against clones.  In reality, demand is so high that supply is only now catching up.  Still, the press reports the incredible progress and achievements of Apple in a negative way.

Sounds like a buying opportunity to me.

Watch for a "beat" the fourth week of January!

• Reply 6 of 25

Originally Posted by RFHJr View Post

Apple had a full year of nearly 100% adulation from the business press.

When was this?

• Reply 7 of 25
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    When was this?

Looking back, it seems there was a time when Apple got at least some good press. Now it is absolutely pathological.

I'm thinking that Americans have something like a death wish when it comes to any entity that succeeds. Mediocrity voodoo.

It's weird, and needs to be analyzed. Some of my oldest friends have gone over to the Dark Side.
  • Reply 8 of 25
    rfhjr wrote: »
    Apple had a full year of nearly 100% adulation from the business press.  Now, it is fashionable to dump on the company without the slightest shred of evidence.  As an example, this week's iPad Mini launch in China, strictly controlled via an advance lottery purchase system, succeeded in maintaining order at China based stores.  This was spun into a negative - demand must be weak, no glass doors were shattered, and no fights broke out.  Ditto for the U.S. launch - $329 is a disappointing entry price, it must be lower to compete against clones.  In reality, demand is so high that supply is only now catching up.  Still, the press reports the incredible progress and achievements of Apple in a negative way.

Sounds like a buying opportunity to me.

Watch for a "beat" the fourth week of January!
    It's actually getting quite ridiculous the level of negativity. I swear Apple could find a cure for cancer and the media would find a way to spin it as negative.
  • Reply 9 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by 512ke View Post

iPhone 5 is in stock: soft demand!  Sell the stock!  Apple is doomed!

iPhone 5 is not in stock: supply chain problems!  Sell the stock!  Apple is doomed!

Apple is selling zillions of phones: but they may not sell next year!  Stock goes down!  Apple is doomed!

Fiscal Cliff!  End of the World!  

Maybe the Mayans were right about 2012 being the end of the world after all.  And the cause of the crash of humanity will be human hysteria and irrational panic lol.

The only thing that survives is Amazon.  They lose money on every Kindle, they have a P/E of 10,000, and still they will survive the Appleocalypse like cockroaches haha.

Happy December 7.  512ke :)

"Maybe the Mayans were right about 2012 being the end of the world after all."

Judging by all the pathological negative press Apple's been getting recently, it's definitely the end of reason, logic, & common sense.

• Reply 10 of 25
    The volume Apple trades compared to other stocks with high share prices is ridiculous. If you look at stocks with a current share price over $200 there are only 3 companies where the average volume is 1M or greater:

Apple - 25M
    Amazon - 3.7M
    Google - 2.1M

If you look at share price of all stocks with an average volume of 20M or more, Apple's on top with $533 share price. Second on the list is an ETF with a share price of $65. Third is JP Morgan with a share price of $42.

This might sound silly but part of me is hoping this selloff Is getting people out of the stock that maybe should never have been in it in the first place. These wild swings don't seem normal and often times don't appear to be based on the fundamentals of the company. This week analysts were scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to figure out why the stock dropped 9%. No none downgraded the stock, there were no quarterly sales estimates revised downwards. In fact the analysts on CNBC are expecting 50M iPhone sales. So aside from fiscal cliff concerns, what's gives? Stock manipulation?
  • Reply 11 of 25
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

international Online Apple Stores

What is an "international Online Apple Store"?

• Reply 12 of 25
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    rogifan wrote: »
    The volume Apple trades compared to other stocks with high share prices is ridiculous. If you look at stocks with a current share price over $200 there are only 3 companies where the average volume is 1M or greater:

Apple - 25M
    Amazon - 3.7M
    Google - 2.1M

If you look at share price of all stocks with an average volume of 20M or more, Apple's on top with $533 share price. Second on the list is an ETF with a share price of $65. Third is JP Morgan with a share price of $42.

This might sound silly but part of me is hoping this selloff Is getting people out of the stock that maybe should never have been in it in the first place. These wild swings don't seem normal and often times don't appear to be based on the fundamentals of the company. This week analysts were scraping the bottom of the barrel trying to figure out why the stock dropped 9%. No none downgraded the stock, there were no quarterly sales estimates revised downwards. In fact the analysts on CNBC are expecting 50M iPhone sales. So aside from fiscal cliff concerns, what's gives? Stock manipulation?

Because of its volatility, AAPL is popular among day traders. A significant proportion of the daily volume is the same shares being sold multiple times.
    Apple options are also heavily traded, and market makers trade the stock to hedge the option positions they support.
  • Reply 13 of 25

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

I'm thinking that Americans have something like a death wish when it comes to any entity that succeeds. Mediocrity voodoo. It's weird, and needs to be analyzed. Some of my oldest friends have gone over to the Dark Side.

Our outlook has changed in the past few decades. Success used to be an aspiration. Now it's something that deserves (yes, deserves, in their mind) punishment.

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

store.apple.com/uk, store.apple.com/ru, store.apple.com/fr…

• Reply 14 of 25

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

store.apple.com/uk, store.apple.com/ru, store.apple.com/fr…

• Reply 15 of 25

Our outlook has changed in the past few decades. Success used to be an aspiration. Now it's something that deserves (yes, deserves, in their mind) punishment.

True, and the curious thing is that the anti-success, anti-Apple crowd is heavily represented on Wall Street-type blogs, Microsoft-oriented blogs, gadget blogs, etc., none of which are particularly anti-corporate per se, or fitting the liberal stereotype.

I'm thinking that people who are adapted to chaos and incompetence, as in Wall Street and Microsoft for examples, are personally threatened by the kind of success that comes from Apple's order and competence.

It's the terror of the older obsolete species when confronted with the newly evolved next species that will leave them behind and irrelevant.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    quinney wrote: »
    Because of its volatility, AAPL is popular among day traders. A significant proportion of the daily volume is the same shares being sold multiple times.
    Apple options are also heavily traded, and market makers trade the stock to hedge the option positions they support.
    Ok so basically the stockis heavily manipulated by things that have nothing to do with the fundamentals of the company, I mean there was zero news last week on the fundamentals of the company that would cause a 9% drop in the stock. The closest one could come to was Apple not yet having a deal with China Mobile. But even that isn't worthy of a 9% drop in my mind.
  • Reply 17 of 25
    flaneur wrote: »
    True, and the curious thing is that the anti-success, anti-Apple crowd is heavily represented on Wall Street-type blogs, Microsoft-oriented blogs, gadget blogs, etc., none of which are particularly anti-corporate per se, or fitting the liberal stereotype.
    I'm thinking that people who are adapted to chaos and incompetence, as in Wall Street and Microsoft for examples, are personally threatened by the kind of success that comes from Apple's order and competence.
    It's the terror of the older obsolete species when confronted with the newly evolved next species that will leave them behind and irrelevant.
    Seems to me people like kicking someone/something when it's down (or perceived to be down). The fashionable thing right now is to dump on Apple, proclaim its best days are behind it with Steve Jobs death. And push this meme that there is no innovation coming from Apple. When quite honestly what are other companies doing that's do much more innovative than Apple? Bigger screens to me aren't necessarily innovation. Windows 8/RT might be innovative but these devices aren't really flying off the shelves.

I was at a conference last month and Malcolm Gladwell gave a keynote speech. In it he talked about practical innovation and used Apple as an example of it. Arguing that Apple wasn't necessarily first at a lot of things but that was OK because what they eventually came out with was so right in so many ways. I see a lot of what other tech companies are doing as gimmicky; throw something at the wall and see what sticks. To me that's not Apple's MO. Unfortunately the former is viewed as innovation while the latter is viewed as running out of ideas, being a one trick pony etc.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    lerxtlerxt Posts: 186member
    People are only criticising when stuff doesn't live up to the hype. "The most beautiful maps" bs, IOS6 being a downgrade for many people, "just works" not just working for many people. If Apple want to charge a premium price, they can expect people to want premium service and performance.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    lerxt wrote: »
    People are only criticising when stuff doesn't live up to the hype.

If only that were true.
  • Reply 20 of 25
    Well I guess the sold out phase is over meaning that most that do sell are sold(up to 50%)but Christmas is hitting so probably up to 30% will sell in next 30 days. But it's life is still new, Is there a possibility of them being sold out again if Christmas sales are high.