Cook admits love of 'Jetsons,' but little else to NBC about potential Apple television

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    If the show ever had a modern-day revival, it'd be terrible (think what happened to older cartoon franchises in the '80s and early '90s) and would include "pop culture references" to be hip. One of these in a "Flinstones X" would definitely be the throwaway joke "iStone".

Your post just made me think of that.

I refuse to consider anything made in Flash a television show. It's just disgusting and lazy.

If it's entertaining then the medium shouldn't be a factor. I've certainly enjoyed the cleverness of the South Park writers and you can't much more simple than cardboard cutouts (which is now done with animations to mimic the cardboard, as is their new game, The Stick of Truth.)

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 42 of 52

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If it's entertaining then the medium shouldn't be a factor.

See, that's the thing: I almost always go by that. And quite often artistic styles that I wouldn't otherwise have paid any mind turn out to be the best way to have presented something. 

But scanning through the current crop of stuff, it looks like they've even left it on the standard 12 frames per second in some cases. I dunno; I don't really pay much attention to that anymore. I miss the days of hand-drawn cels (or at least digitally drawn and colored, hand-animated).

• Reply 43 of 52
    Marvin wrote: »
    Cook also revealed that he works out to keep stress away, and is in the gym by 5 a.m. every morning.

I bet he started doing it at 8am but then employees were getting in first making out like they were better than him and they had a back and forth until Cook settled on 5am. Once you get to the middle of the night, I can imagine a lot of people giving in. If an employee complains about not getting enough sleep, he's always got the line 'I've been up since before 5am, quit your whining'. Wait until he gets a partner though, there's no way he's getting a good enough sleep to get up at 5am.

Also, who's to say he's working out? It just says he's in the gym. Maybe he just stays in the locker room. If I could sit in the women's locker room at the gym, I'd be in at 5am every day too.

Ehm, Tim is gay. And he went to the gym before he joined Apple, or so the internet tells me. Unimportant nonetheless; I get your point on the 5am thing.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    See, that's the thing: I almost always go by that. And quite often artistic styles that I wouldn't otherwise have paid any mind turn out to be the best way to have presented something. 

But scanning through the current crop of stuff, it looks like they've even left it on the standard 12 frames per second in some cases. I dunno; I don't really pay much attention to that anymore. I miss the days of hand-drawn cels (or at least digitally drawn and colored, hand-animated).

Anything that detracts from the entertainment hurts it so if they are using 12fps that is likely going to lessen the enjoyment unless there is some artistic element to it, like Instagram filters making pictures looking older than they are.

Marvin wrote: »
    Also, who's to say he's working out? It just says he's in the gym. Maybe he just stays in the locker room. If I could sit in the women's locker room at the gym, I'd be in at 5am every day too.

I'm out of the house by 5am nearly everyday. Sometimes at the gym but usually at a Starbucks studying. I do wonder swimming laps first thing in the morning would be better than studying first thing. I do it because since getting up at that time I feel healthier and more productive. I dislike when people come into work still half asleep dragging their feet so when I get there I am ready to go. I'd wager Cook feels the same way.
    I liked the Jetsons, it had an undertone of sexism sorely missing from modern cartoons: [...] It portrayed simpler times where the man went to work, the women spent all his money on shopping and the kids were fine upstanding members of society - everybody was white and heterosexual too for some reason.

I'm sure you remember the Popular Science videos of the day that shows the homes of the future. From an anthropological standpoint I see the same trend everytime anyone predicts the future: they think of how the tools will evolve whilst leaving the social and culture constructs exactly the same. This is why the "wife's" role stays the same.. except that now technology has made it easier for her to care for the "man" of the house.

edit: exempli gratia: http://www.popsci.com/gadgets/article/2010-11/archive-gallery-kitchens-tomorrow-1950s-edition

[VIDEO]
  • Reply 45 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

This was such a shitty interview. Those are the best quesitons he could come up with, after 'months' of trying to negotiate an interview with Cook, and a chance that almost nobody gets?

WHY DOES MAPS SUCKS LOL

WHY DID U GUYS CHANGE THE CABLE I HAD SO MANY OF THE OLD ONE 

****. Ask some deep, insightful questions, not this tripe that has obvious answers, and implying in a superficial way that Apple is trying to screw the consumer. All it does is make Cook pull out some template answer. Yes, the cable changed after a decade, for a million reasons. Fucking deal with it. There are so many insightful, interesting things that could have been asked that would have spurred interesting responses, but no, te interview consisted simply of all the superficial, sensational bullshit we've had to witness the past few months. What a squandered opportunity. I could have come up with better questions in 10 minutes. Oh, and loved how they ran a full Apple-bashing Samsung Ad in its entirety. Did Samsung sponsor this interview or something?

• Reply 46 of 52

Just watched the interview. I was disappointed by how poorly NBC News prepared Brian Williams for this interview. He actually stated that Apple fired two senior executives because of maps. Without any justification, he also said that Samsung's ads have been damaging to Apple.

• Reply 47 of 52
    I take it that there's no need to search for this interview on the other side of the pond after I read snippets of it...?
  • Reply 48 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

Just watched the interview. I was disappointed by how poorly NBC News prepared Brian Williams for this interview. He actually stated that Apple fired two senior executives because of maps. Without any justification, he also said that Samsung's ads have been damaging to Apple.

Yeah, and there's that. Just pulling shit out of his ass. Problem is Cook is too nice and doesn' want to offend the interviewer, SJ would have asked him WTF he's talking about. 

• Reply 49 of 52
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    alexn wrote: »
    Not only that - they would now do such a remake in "3D" animation - which most often leaves me (excuse the pun) stone cold.

Nah, doesn't lend itself well to the subject matter. They'd do it in FLASH, like many cartoons are these days.

I refuse to consider anything made in Flash a television show. It's just disgusting and lazy.

Flash cartoons? Good grief. I thought that Flash was dead, anyway. I still prefer the hand-drawn type, too; and enjoyed watching a lot of the things our daughter watched when she was younger - kid that I still am ;).
  • Reply 50 of 52
    alexnalexn Posts: 119member
    slurpy wrote: »

Yeah, and there's that. Just pulling shit out of his ass. Problem is Cook is too nice and doesn' want to offend the interviewer, SJ would have asked him WTF he's talking about. 

By the sounds of that interview, SJ would have had Williams for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Mindless walloping dork (Williams, not Cook!).
  • Reply 51 of 52

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Yes, the cable changed after a decade, for a million reasons. Fucking deal with it. There are so many insightful, interesting things that could have been asked that would have spurred interesting responses, but no, [my] interview consisted simply of all the superficial, sensational bullshit we've had to witness the past few months. What a squandered opportunity. I could have come up with better questions in 10 minutes. Oh, and loved how they ran a full Apple-bashing Samsung Ad in its entirety. Did Samsung sponsor this interview or something?

I could definitely see Steve Jobs saying the above in response to one of those "questions" (with that one pronoun subject change). image

• Reply 52 of 52
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I take it that there's no need to search for this interview on the other side of the pond after I read snippets of it...?

I think it's worth watching to see how unperturbable Tim Cook is. As we've all noticed, it was pretty poor "jounalism," and Tim had every reason to snarl or at least change expression a few times, but he kept his cool.

Others will say he's too nice, but I would say that this unflappable quality is why Steve snagged him from Compaq. Isaacson indicates as much as well.