Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 101 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rayz View Post

So, Apple is testing it the same way Google did. What's your point?

Oh, and this wasn't the only reason Forestall was fired.

The point ought to be that there are plenty of errors in Google Maps, still, so, anyone pretending that it's perfect is denying reality. In some cases, Google Maps give more inaccurate results than Apple Maps, yet, no one is crucifying them for still not having it right.

In other words, 99% of the criticism of Apple Maps, at least in comparison to Google Maps, is hysteria fueled by Google's PR machine.

• Reply 102 of 507
    Google? Can be 100% wrong. No one cares. Doesn't matter.

It didn't replace any existing services. Nobody would be complaining about Apple's Maps had they been optional, but since they were forced down everyone's throats with iOS 6, Apple's Maps are expected to be at least as good as Google's.
  • Reply 103 of 507
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    vaelian wrote: »
    If you can't guarantee the quality of your services, don't offer them, and especially don't prevent your customers from accessing concurrent services that actually work.

You say Apple shouldn't offer any Maps solution until every address and PoI that could possibly be searched is tested and verified as accurate as per your statement of "services that actually work" in this thread about some location data being inaccurate. How does that work since Apple can't make a great mapping solution until it can crowd source and resolve the most common issues. What you propose is a Catch-22, not a solution. Despite your statements Google acquires location data from users; probably more than other company on the planet.
  • Reply 104 of 507
    solipsismx wrote: »
    If you can't guarantee the quality of your services, don't offer them, and especially don't prevent your customers from accessing concurrent services that actually work.

You say Apple shouldn't offer any Maps solution until every address and PoI that could possibly be searched is tested and verified as accurate as per your statement of "services that actually work" in this thread about some location data being inaccurate. How does that work since Apple can't make a great mapping solution until it can crowd source and resolve the most common issues. What you propose is a Catch-22, not a solution.

Nope, that's not what I'm saying, but feel free to attack that straw man if you like, because even that straw man is more reasonable than you.
  • Reply 105 of 507
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    It didn't replace any existing services. Nobody would be complaining about Apple's Maps had they been optional, but since they were forced down everyone's throats with iOS 6, Apple's Maps are expected to be at least as good as Google's.

Apple's mapping is not as good as Google Maps for many things:  accuracy of data; areas covered; satellite images; POI data; street view; computer/web access...  to name a few.

Still waiting for evidence that Apple's Maps are inferior to Google Maps.

10,000 monkeys furiously typing "Apple Maps sucks" doesn't make it true.

There have only been a few side-by-side comparisons and Apple Maps was at least as good as Google Maps in most of them. So where's the evidence to support your rant?
  • Reply 106 of 507
    I'm assuming they were all attacked by drop bears?
  • Reply 107 of 507
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Exactly!!!!

• Reply 108 of 507

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Have you changed your position on Apple Maps, because I feel as if you had the opposite position back when I was concerned about Apple Maps being a potential issue waiting to explode back when the iOS 6 betas were out?

I'm not sure he has. I'll bet he still recognizes its preliminary quality and is now just concerned about the amount of time it has taken to update the errors, wherever they were.

Personally, my only concern is that Apple will think they can treat Maps like they treat updates and do nothing in between them.

It didn't replace any existing services.

I'm waiting for someone to tell me what Apple Maps "replaced".

• Reply 109 of 507

This, of course, ignores the fact that you can still use Google Maps on iOS if you wish - so Apple Maps didn't replace it.

(Not to mention, of course, the fact that you STILL refuse to back up your claim that it's inferior).
  • Reply 110 of 507
    I agree with those who suggest that with Apple's resources they should be able to correct these issues with a greater sense of urgency and purpose. Or not to be using "us" as guinea pigs to sort out their technology. Having said that you do have to be a "dumbass" to be making a trip in such a remote place as Australia and depending on one source for what could be your survival.
  • Reply 111 of 507
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

but, so far, most of the comparisons show Apple's maps to be just as good as the competition, if not better.

Can you provide links to these comparisons, please?

I assume these comparisons were made by people who aren't APPL shareholders?

• Reply 112 of 507
    jragosta wrote: »

This, of course, ignores the fact that you can still use Google Maps on iOS if you wish - so Apple Maps didn't replace it.

(Not to mention, of course, the fact that you STILL refuse to back up your claim that it's inferior).

This, of course, ignores the fact that the Google Maps that you can use on iOS 6 depends on your network connection to update the current position (which makes it unusable for driving due to lag), can not save locations, does not rotate, and is not integrated with Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders.
  • Reply 113 of 507
    geekdadgeekdad Posts: 1,131member

Quote:

There have only been a few side-by-side comparisons and Apple Maps was at least as good as Google Maps in most of them. So where's the evidence to support your rant?

did you not read the article this thread was started from? All of the users in Australia giving evidence that Maps did not work correctly? The gist of the my whole point was Maps does not work as well as the product it replaced........... That has been everyone's who point of emphasis. There has been enough data to back that up over the time Maps has been released.......wishing it weren't true won't make it so..... !0,000 monkeys furiously typing "Apple Maps is perfect" does not not make it so either........So show me the data that proves Maps is better that what it replaced. How long does it take for a map program to mature? Did Apple Maps have that time? Did it have the time compared to what it replaced? Did you replace a product with a lesser product and call it a great user experience?

Apple could have come out and just said they are releasing Apple Maps in beta and they need everyone's help to make it great. If they wouldn have taken that standpoint from the beginning they would have had all the Apple faithful behind them and had gotten millions of users participating in the beta test to make it great. Instead they replaced it without users having a choice and it did not meet expectations.......

• Reply 114 of 507

…is not integrated with Contacts, Calendars, or Reminders.

It is if you're already in Google's ecosystem thereof.

• Reply 115 of 507
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Nope, that's not what I'm saying, but feel free to attack that straw man if you like, because even that straw man is more reasonable than you.

This is your myopic argument. Your straw man. You made a generalized statement that no other option than for Apple's Maps to offer no location data and therefore not exist. Instead you ignored what I wrote and decided to attack me, as usual, instead of defending your comment (which makes sense as it's not defendable). Let's reexamine what you wrote.
    [SIZE]If you can't guarantee the quality of your services, don't offer them, and especially don't prevent your customers from accessing concurrent services that actually work.[/SIZE]

So locations, as in the case of the article aren't guaranteed, right? So your solution — ONLY solution — is to not offer location data that is guaranteed. There is absolutely no way you can spin your own words to mean anything els. You then made a comment about blocking services that actually work, which is still available on the iPhone if you are suggesting Google Maps. But you can't be suggesting Google Maps because Google doesn't guarantee their Maps either.

Google even has ways to update their Maps so they can be better... something you claim is a fail for Apple.

700 700

Look, we all get it. Apple Maps isn't as accurate as Google Maps at this time, but everything you claim Apple shouldn't do is exactly what they need to do if they want to make Apple Maps better. All you've suggested is that they shouldn't walk until they run which isn't fair. Apple has proffered other solutions in their App Store, and there is still Google Maps in Safari.
  • Reply 116 of 507

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

Apple's mapping is not as good as Google Maps for many things:  accuracy of data; areas covered; satellite images; POI data; street view; computer/web access...  to name a few.

Where have you been?  Just because you can waste your time to find a "Google bad" for every "Apple bad" doesn't mean that they are equally bad/good/

We have nothing that shows that the Microsoft Surface tablet is inferior to the iPad... except for empirical evidence and common sense. 

• Reply 117 of 507
    geekdad wrote: »

did you not read the article this thread was started from? All of the users in Australia giving evidence that Maps did not work correctly?

"Evidence" is not the plural of anecdote.

No one has ever denied the fact that there are some errors in Apple's Maps. That is not the same as evidence that Apple Maps is inferior to Google Maps.

richl wrote: »
     Can you provide links to these comparisons, please?

I assume these comparisons were made by people who aren't APPL shareholders?

Search for them online.

There was one done in the SF Bay area which showed Apple Maps to be superior. One in Canada was roughly a wash. And a couple in China showed Apple Maps to be better.

Besides, I'm not the one claiming that Apple Maps is inferior. I'm simply pointing out that no one has yet provided evidence to support that claim.
  • Reply 118 of 507

FROM 2007 Article:Amazon's Kindle light a fire under eBooks?

Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

That's a bit of pie in the sky. What will. these Kindle versions cost? From what we see of electronic publishing, the cost will be close to the paper version.

There are other problems too.

One is that it can't reproduce color in any way (as I've already mentioned, and you didn't acknowledge), which makes many texts almost useless. I'd just hate to try to use my Gray's Anatomy in B/W, for example.

The other is that if you can buy a used text, which many students do, because they aren't updated THAT often, at least most aren't. You can sell it back, or to another student. You will recoup about half the cost.

How is Amazon working that out? So far, you can't resell an electronic text.

And the cost of the Kindle, unless included in some deal with texts that are needed by the individual student, will still add almost $400 to that text book price, which could raise the electronic text price over the four years (assuming the device lasts four years of daily hard use) to much more than the paper versions would cost when everything is taken into account.

Maybe someday, this will work. But the technology isn't yet up to it, and the costs aren't either. I'd love to see textbook companies sell $50 texts for $20 in electronic form, but I wouldn't wait for it.

How far we have come.

• Reply 119 of 507
    Where have you been?  Just because you can waste your time to find a "Google bad" for every "Apple bad" doesn't mean that they are equally bad/good/

Sorry, but there are two options:

1. Live your life believing every whinefest thrown at you by the media and accept all the whining as gospel truth. No need for evidence or facts, if the New York Times prints it, it must be true.

2. Choose to believe factual evidence when it is presented and remain skeptical of claims that are not supported by evidence.

I choose #2. You apparently chose #1.
  • Reply 120 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

...snip

Look, we all get it. Apple Maps isn't as accurate as Google Maps at this time, but everything you claim Apple shouldn't do is exactly what they need to do if they want to make Apple Maps better. All you've suggested is that they shouldn't walk until they run which isn't fair. Apple has proffered other solutions in their App Store, and there is still Google Maps in Safari.

+++ QFT