Jefferies expects 'iPhone 5S' & new iPad in summer, 'iTV' next fall

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Investment firm Jefferies helped to send Apple stock downward Monday morning when it cut its price target from $900 to $800, but the financial group also predicted that Apple will launch its next iPhone and iPad as early as June, followed by a television set in the fall of 2013.

Monday's research note from analyst Peter Misek cited his checks with industry sources, who indicated Apple is likely to launch a so-called "iPhone 5S" in June or July of 2013. He expects the new iPhone will include "a new super HD camera/screen, a better battery, and NFC."

Misek is less confident on a number of additional "possible updates" to the next iPhone, including an IGZO screen from Sharp for what he called a "Retina+" display," as well as 128 gigabytes of storage, and as many as six new color options in addition to the current black and white offerings.

Jefferies 1

As for a fifth-generation iPad, Misek sees the updated hardware launching in June with an IGZO screen. He expects the new model will be half as thick as the current option, with "significantly" reduced weight.

Fewer details were provided on a potential Apple television set, but Misek said he believes the mythical device will launch in September or October of 2013.

"iTV prototypes are also floating around," Misek wrote. "Gesture and voice control along with new user interface are the main innovations."

Finally, the analyst also spoke of a potential low-cost iPhone, which he said is "not greenlit yet," but could possibly launch in 2013. If a new, less expensive iPhone does debut next year, he sees it launching in June or July with a price point between $200 and $250 without a service contract.

"Our checks indicate a low-cost model would be a retooled iPhone 4 with a scaled-down modem, apps processor, etc.," he wrote. "Foxconn International Holdings already has a supply chain for capacity scaling up to 200-300K units per day."

Jefferies 2

As for the new, lower $800 price target for AAPL stock, Misek believes Apple's iPhone build plans will decelerate from a 50 percent increase in 2013 to 20 percent growth in fiscal 2014. He believes much of this will be due to smartphone saturation in developed markets.

"(Average selling prices) have likely peaked," Misek said. "With smartphone penetration high in developed markets, the future for Apple and the industry is developing markets."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 76
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    so what. does this guy say about Amazon?.... up, up and away?, how can that be?... amazon makes trinkets!.
  • Reply 2 of 76
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Hey Soli, here come the colors you and I expected for the MIni, 6 to 8 of 'em. That's at least according to the report. 

• Reply 3 of 76

How can the chart go to 120%? 

"iTV prototypes are also floating around," Misek wrote. "Gesture and voice control along with new user interface are the main innovations."

No.

A loud clatter of gunk music flooded through the Heart of Gold cabin as Zaphod searched the sub-etha radio wave bands for news of himself. The machine was rather difficult to operate. For years radios had been operated by means of pressing buttons and turning dials; then as the technology became more sophisticated the controls were made touch-sensitive--you merely had to brush the panels with your fingers; now all you had to do was wave your hand in the general direction of the components and hope. It saved a lot of muscular expenditure, of course, but meant that you had to sit infuriatingly still if you wanted to keep listening to the same program.

• Reply 4 of 76
    I would find it a lot easier to take these folks seriously if they would get the little things right. ITV is a trademark in the UK in the television market that Apple hasn't attempted to use in how many years, why would they not. So stop calling this unicorn horn and dragon poop pipe dream (at this point) an iTV. It makes you look uninformed about the market which isn't really possible since there have been tons of articles about how iTV UK has promises to sue Apple if they try to use the 'mark.

And Apple has set up rather nicely that iPhones will be in the fall after a WWDC preview of the new iOS. That isn't likely to change. The iPad might get a step update at six months but that is more likely to be March-April than June. But it is more likely that they are shifting to a fall only release on those as well. That way all new products launch with the new iOS instead of the iPads coming out with six month old software and getting a fall 'update' that is only software based and might not have the hardware needed for some new feature for another six months.

These sorts of things are what we should be hearing from thoughtful analysts instead of the hit foddering, pulled from their butts, stock toying crap we typically get
  • Reply 5 of 76

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

And Apple has set up rather nicely that iPhones will be in the fall after a WWDC preview of the new iOS. That isn't likely to change. 

If we see iOS 7 in the spring, get ready for (idiotic) 6-month cycles.

• Reply 6 of 76
    iPhone 5s will be the iphone that fix the iPhone 5 bugs.
  • Reply 7 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nobody said you have to buy every new phone that comes out.

• Reply 8 of 76
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Well, at least there isn't mention of an Apple TV for $1500.  That rumor has been circulating and I think it is safe to say that even IF Apple released a HDTV with various additional electronics, i think the likelihood of the price $1500 to be .0000000000001% chance.    Figure it this way,  a straight 27inch monitor with nothing else is $1000.   So if Apple were to add all kinds of functionality, I think it's going to have to cost quite at least $1500 for just a 27inch "smart TV" is there is a lot of functionality to it.  I would suggest not even mentioning any projected price and just it be announced, when/if Apple is going to announce it and not set everyone for a disappointment.  Don't set expectations that can't be met, unless you are the one that is supposed to meet those expectations.  Don't set them for someone else.

• Reply 9 of 76

Originally Posted by Conrail View Post

Nobody said you have to buy every new phone that comes out.

Good to know. What does that statement have to do with anything?

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Figure it this way,  a straight 27inch monitor with nothing else is $1000.   So if Apple were to add all kinds of functionality, I think it's going to have to cost quite at least $1500 for just a 27inch "smart TV" is there is a lot of functionality to it.

Monitor ? TV. You can get a 60" LED-backlit LCD television for $1,000. You cannot use the Thunderbolt Display as your metric.

• Reply 10 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

I think it might be for the Fingerprint ID, is my guess.  MAYBE a slightly wider/taller screen for those that want a phone that's 4.5in or larger.  I can see Apple releasing two different sized smartphones to meet people that have different tastes in screen size.  I personally would like one a little bigger 4.5 to 4.6 screen size if they made it.  But my smartphone contract isn't up for another year, so until I need a second phone, I have some time to wait.

• Reply 11 of 76
    Misek's predictions here are the most egregious case of fabrication. He "expects" a new super HD camera/screen but is "less confident" about a "Retina " screen. What does that even mean?

iTV prototypes are "floating around". TV sets are not like phones and do not need to be floated around to be tested.

Apple does not have to "retool" iPhone 4 for a low cost model. It is already their low cost model. There is no such thing as an "apps processor".

Man, is this guy ever full of shit. And that's saying a lot considering most analysts are full of it.
  • Reply 12 of 76
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Finally, the analyst also spoke of a potential low-cost iPhone, which he said is "not greenlit yet," but could possibly launch in 2013. If a new, less expensive iPhone does debut next year, he sees it launching in June or July with a price point between $200 and $250 without a service contract.

That makes sense.  So basically an iPod Touch that adds phone capabilities for $50-$100 less.  Oh wait- that doesn't make sense.

• Reply 13 of 76
    emig647emig647 Posts: 2,455member

Don't feed the analysts! 

I do think a 5s will come out around summer, but I don't believe it will be rocking a 4.8" screen like reported on other sites. 

• Reply 14 of 76
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Stock manipulation. I think the SEC should investigate these bums when they are proven wrong.
  • Reply 15 of 76
    I hate people lowering AAPL target price AFTER it dropped a lot or up AAPL target price when AAPL hits new high .

Fxck the analysts !! What u say even a primary school student can say .
  • Reply 16 of 76

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Did you wake up with only 1% brain activity?  WWDC is where they announce a new iOS and show off SOME of the features to developers and they start seeding developers with beta copies for development purposes, but it doesn't officially get released until later, so it's not a 6 month cycle.  iOS 6 came out at the end of Sept., it's December, so announcing iOS 7 in terms of to the developers in June would be 9 months after iOS 6 got released, but that's STILL just the developer version.

If Apple releases a new model in the spring, the iOS will be a iOS 6.x upgrade, not a iOS 7 upgrade.

• Reply 17 of 76
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    A lot of people that bought the iPhone 4S will have their upgrade credits coming up around the beginning of June since upgrade credit kicks in at 20 months. I am sure Apple is very aware of that. Few people would want to use that upgrade credit on the iPhone 5 when they know the next iPhone is around the corner but 4 months also seems like an eternity and I am sure some Android phones like the Galaxy 4 or others might be very tempting. Perhaps that is one reason this analyst thinks Apple will release earlier. If it is just a 5S, then he could be right since probably minimal changes. For a 6 and big redesign, doubtful.
  • Reply 18 of 76

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

…a 4.8" screen like reported on other sites. 

What idiot said that?

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Did you wake up with only 1% brain activity?  WWDC is where they announce a new iOS and show off SOME of the features to developers and they start seeding developers with beta copies for development purposes, but it doesn't officially get released until later, so it's not a 6 month cycle.

I believe your insult should be directed at you. Please read my post again.

• Reply 19 of 76
    gatorguy wrote: »
    Hey Soli, here come the colors you and I expected for the MIni, 6 to 8 of 'em. That's at least according to the report. 

I'm thinking this isn't likely for the iPhone 5S as the S has signified internal changes but very minor cosmetic changes. If true we'd likely start seeing case leaks appearing by March.

I also don't think the NFC is accurate if the casing does stay the same. I'll bow to AnandTech to the reasons why this design doesn't lend to NFC being likely:

PS: What's with the comments about Super HD screen and better battery. I see no reason for the PPI or resolution to change and without any details regarding better battery life from more efficient components and/or better battery tech it all sounds like BS to me.
  • Reply 20 of 76
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by maclancer View Post

Which are?