Google to sell off Motorola's set-top box business as Google TV flounders

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    b9botb9bot Posts: 238member
    Google was arrogant trying to build hardware for content without getting agreements setup for content providers. Sure they got there hardware out there faster than Apple but it was pointless when all of the content it was supposed to provide was blocked by the content providers! Also Google's price point was way off base at more than $200 more than anything out there. There first one with Logitech was over $600 if you got all of the accessories which was ridiculous! There second attempt then left out most of the content providers so you could only put on content of your own which most people aren't interested in.
    So FAIL, FAIL to Google. They didn't learn from there first mistake and made it worse the second time around.
  • Reply 22 of 64
    jragosta wrote: »
    True - at present.
    You're missing, however, the potential. It would not be hard for Google to convert the set top boxes to run Android. They could still be supplied by the cable companies and do exactly the same thing that set top boxes currently do, but would have the option to run Android apps and/or Google TV in addition to acting as a set top box. It would also have the potential to serve as yet another way for Google to stick its nose into your business and track your personal actions.
    Now, if the rumor is true, they have decided that this isn't a viable option for them, but it certainly is a possibility.

I can't believe nobody else sees that same potential. Wouldn't be surprised if Samsung buys it.
  • Reply 23 of 64
    my guess is this http://fiber.google.com/about is their long term tack. Moto STB was at best just a manufacturing capacity... Selling off the carrier specific designs is clearing the decks to a single focus on a big profit (cable carriers) market.

I read a article yesterday that said it would cost Google about $140 billion to wire up the entire country. What company do we know that has $120 billion laying around?

http://www.electronista.com/articles/12/12/09/cost.of.covering.half.us.population.exceeds.cash.reserves/
  • Reply 24 of 64
    IMHO the failure of Google tv was the plane fact that it didn't deliver the experience it promised. Your show when you want it. Seriously? Not over the network's dead a** body.
    Look, the tv people exist because we watch advertiser's commercials. So why the hell is Google playing middle man. Television is advertising incarnate. The business between the tv people an ad folk is that he tv people will bring the ad folk billion dollar eye balls.
    IMHO Google tv fu**** with that model. It provided too much goddamn distraction .
    The onjy way to get programs when you want them anytime is when the networks write those rules. Period. That's my 2 cents.
  • Reply 25 of 64
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Given that Google Fiber has a completely different STB and uses a Nexus as a remote, it appears that google is looking to take on the Cable companies directly, and with that, having a STB business that sells to carriers seems to be counter to 'being the pipe' initiative.

Some cable companies also own content, so taking them on could make forging content deals more difficult also.

john.b wrote: »
    Eric Schmidt:  Google TV on 'majority' of new TVs by Summer 2012:  www.theverge.com/2011/12/7/2618225/eric-schmidt-le-web-paris-google-tv-majority-all-tvs

Talk about a guy who believes his own press clippings!!!

:lol:

I'm sure he finds the lack of success of Google TV curious.
  • Reply 26 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by b9bot View Post

Google was arrogant trying to build hardware for content without getting agreements setup for content providers. Sure they got there hardware out there faster than Apple but it was pointless when all of the content it was supposed to provide was blocked by the content providers! Also Google's price point was way off base at more than $200 more than anything out there. There first one with Logitech was over $600 if you got all of the accessories which was ridiculous! There second attempt then left out most of the content providers so you could only put on content of your own which most people aren't interested in.

So FAIL, FAIL to Google. They didn't learn from there first mistake and made it worse the second time around.

I think they have content agreements in place. I know I've seen some news articles in the past few months reporting on Google agreements with media providers, including music, movies and such.

EDIT: Yeah, here ya go.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/19/google-strikes-licensing-deal-with-european-music-publishers-gains-access-to-5-5m-tracks-across-35-countries/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57542161-93/google-play-android-becoming-entertainment-powerhouses/

• Reply 27 of 64
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

What does Google TV have to do with Motorola set top boxes? I'm assuming if you have Comcast or Time Warner cable and your cable box is Motorola the software is not Google TV.

I was expecting Google to replace windows CE with Android on those boxes.  Google is lacking vision on this.  Well if they dump that division it pretty much means Apple will have an edge with cable operators. Lets hope they sell before Apple comes out.

The problem with some cable operators is they think there business is peachy and just wont adapt until they face extinction.  I dont think Apple will ever get everyone onboard, but they dont have to.  If you are cover by 2 or 3 offerings and Apple is on just one of them, people will make the switch and the ones not onboard will only see the problem when its too late.

• Reply 28 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheOtherGeoff View Post

Given that Google Fiber has a completely different STB and uses a Nexus as a remote, it appears that google is looking to take on the Cable companies directly, and with that, having a STB business that sells to carriers seems to be counter to 'being the pipe' initiative.

I see 120/mo for there TV + internet packages but cant get the details because my IE freeze when I get to that site.  Anyone knows how they package channels?

Going head to head with Cable is going to be hard considering they also have to build a new distribution network everwhere. They are still using a BOX. imo the way to change that market is to have the TV do everything in a consistent interface. To do that you need to get deals with cable.

• Reply 29 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

I think they have content agreements in place. I know I've seen some news articles in the past few months reporting on Google agreements with media providers, including music, movies and such.

EDIT: Yeah, here ya go.

http://techcrunch.com/2012/11/19/google-strikes-licensing-deal-with-european-music-publishers-gains-access-to-5-5m-tracks-across-35-countries/

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57542161-93/google-play-android-becoming-entertainment-powerhouses/

Thats for VOD, they are pretty much building themselves the equivalent of itunes. This is not a live TV play.

• Reply 30 of 64
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

Thats for VOD, they are pretty much building themselves the equivalent of itunes. This is not a live TV play.

Here's a partial list of live TV content providers that Google has negotiated licenses for. It's not a complete list as I couldn't log-in to the plans themselves so these are some of the newer additions.

Boomerang, Cartoon Network, CNN, CNN en Español, CNN International, HLN, hTV, infinito, MLB Network Strike Zone (as part of an add-on package),TBS, TCM: Turner Classic Movies, TNT and truTV.

BabyTV, Big Ten Network, Fox Business Network, Fox College Sports Atlantic, Fox College Sports Central, Fox College Sports Pacific, Fox Deportes, Fox Movie Channel, Fox News Channel, Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, FS Kansas City, Fuel TV, FX, HSN2, KPXEDT2 - Qubo, KPXEDT3 - ION Life, Nat Geo Mundo, Nat Geo WILD, National Geographic Channel, Speed, Utilisima, 

ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Longhorn Network, Ovation, SOAPnet, TBN, TBN Enlace, Velocity

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/

• Reply 31 of 64
    If Apple ever releases a TV, you can bet Google will be seen as "salvation" by other companies. They will copy it, they will gain market share, and no one will be able to do something about it. Even if Apple manages to be successful (like they are with phones and tablets), Google will be too, even if they get less money they will still get a lot...

Just because they can copy everything (just like something) and as long as it is "cheap", people will be waiting with open arms cheering for google and samsung.

I can already tell you that Consumer Reports will pan Apple's someday-maybe TV set, for the simple reason that its not Android enough for them, but of course, they won't just come out and say that.
  • Reply 32 of 64

Apple is still the only player in the industry that truly understands design.

Anyone can cram yet another "feature" into a box slammed together by some OEM, but making it polished, perfecting the basics, and building around simplicity is something that comes down to philosophy, not committees and focus groups. 

• Reply 33 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Google Chairman Eric Schmidt even predicted late last year that the "majority" of TVs seen in stores in 2012 would run the Google TV platform ? a prediction that did not come true.

And you thought Ballmer had a monopoly on saying outrageously stupid things (about technology).

• Reply 34 of 64

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

I can already tell you that Consumer Reports will pan Apple's someday-maybe TV set, for the simple reason that its not Android enough for them, but of course, they won't just come out and say that.

"While the Apple Television received the top score in every field of our test, is cheaper than all comparably featured competitors, and received the top score on our users' scoring system, we cannot recommend purchasing it at this time."

When asked about this line, Consumer Reports had the following to say, "We do not comment on our testing procedure."

• Reply 35 of 64
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

If Apple ever releases a TV, you can bet Google will be seen as "salvation" by other companies. They will copy it, they will gain market share, and no one will be able to do something about it.  ...

Boom. That's the #1 reason why Google TV totally failed.

There was nothing from Apple for Google to copy, other than Apple TV.  And Apple TV is only $99.

No way to undercut that price -> no way for Google to profitably steal that idea.

Instead, Google copied WebTV.  And I think we all know how that turned out for Microsoft.

• Reply 36 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Boom. That's the #1 reason why Google TV totally failed.

There was nothing from Apple for Google to copy, other than Apple TV.  And Apple TV is only $99.

No way to undercut that price -> no way for Google to profitably steal that idea.

Instead, Google copied WebTV.  And I think we all know how that turned out for Microsoft.

Excellent point.  'HA, HAH!' to GOogle Tv.

Serves them right. :D

Lemon Bon Bon.

• Reply 37 of 64

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Here's a partial list of live TV content providers that Google has negotiated licenses for. It's not a complete list as I couldn't log-in to the plans themselves so these are some of the newer additions.

Boomerang, Cartoon Network, CNN, CNN en Español, CNN International, HLN, hTV, infinito, MLB Network Strike Zone (as part of an add-on package),TBS, TCM: Turner Classic Movies, TNT and truTV.

BabyTV, Big Ten Network, Fox Business Network, Fox College Sports Atlantic, Fox College Sports Central, Fox College Sports Pacific, Fox Deportes, Fox Movie Channel, Fox News Channel, Fox Soccer, Fox Soccer Plus, FS Kansas City, Fuel TV, FX, HSN2, KPXEDT2 - Qubo, KPXEDT3 - ION Life, Nat Geo Mundo, Nat Geo WILD, National Geographic Channel, Speed, Utilisima, 

ABC Family, ABC News Now, Disney Channel, Disney Junior, Disney XD, ESPN, ESPN Buzzer Beater, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, ESPN Goal Line, ESPN2, ESPNews, ESPNU, Longhorn Network, Ovation, SOAPnet, TBN, TBN Enlace, Velocity

http://googlefiberblog.blogspot.com/

Ye, but  those are for Google Fiber.  Still would be nice to see how they package channels.  imo it will be just another cable company like all the others...

• Reply 38 of 64
    Google is the new Microsoft. Let's buy companies and write down most of what we paid for it. Meanwhile, Apple buys small companies for a few hundred million to build BILLION dollar businesses from them. Google is a one trick pony company but a GREAT ONE TRICK PONY - but nothing more. Google is an ad placement and ad big data company, nothing more - now that they don't get a peek at the future via Apple labs, they have zero to offer in terms of hardware & software UI ... they'll have to go back to borrowing from MS (docs, mail) ... if they can't even make a TV interface, are you really going to let them design your driverless car?
  • Reply 39 of 64
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Ugh! Google. I only use Google for search. Everything else they touch is crap. Disjointed, ad intensive, crap. No thanks. :)

I don't even use it for that. Bing has become a good replacement for most things, and Microsoft gives me points for using it. There are some cool alternatives to both, such as DuckDuckGo. 

• Reply 40 of 64
    tbell wrote: »

I don't even use it for that. Bing has become a good replacement for most things, and Microsoft gives me points for using it. There are some cool alternatives to both, such as DuckDuckGo. 

Good to know, thx.