Apple begins shipping first orders of new 27-inch iMac

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Customers who preordered Apple's newly redesigned 27-inch iMac have begun receiving notifications that their order has shipped and will arrive before Christmas.

A number of AppleInsider readers have received word from Apple that their 27-inch iMacs, ordered when they first went on sale in late November, have shipped.

Readers said their orders have shipped from Shanghai, China, and are estimated to arrive on Dec. 18—one week before Christmas. These customers indicated that their estimated shipping dates are earlier than was originally indicated by Apple once the orders were placed.

The 27-inch iMac is expected to be in limited supply, as estimated shipping times quickly slipped after the all-in-one desktop went on sale at the end of November. As of last week, new orders are now scheduled to ship in January.

iMac

Meanwhile MacMall and B&H Photo tell AppleInsider that they have received stock of Apple's 2.9GHz 21.5-inch iMac, which they are ready to ship immediately ( 1, 2 ). Apple's online store still lists lead times of 7 to10 business days for this model. MacMall offers a $5 discount, while readers looking to purchase their new 21.5-inch iMac with Apple's 3-year extended protection plan can save $108 off Apple's retail price when taking advantage of B&H's Buy Together and Save promotion, which also throws in a free copy of Parallel's Desktop or FileMaker Bento.

The redesigned iMac has an aluminum that is 5-millimeters thick at its edge and also features a reengineered display which Apple claims reduces reflections by 75 percent. Speed has also been increased thanks to new quad-core Intel silicon and NVIDIA GeForce graphics processors, the latter of which is said to deliver up to a 60 percent boost in performance.

The new iMacs can also be upgraded with a Fusion Drive, a hybrid hard drive solution that combines the performance of solid-state media with the capacity and affordability of a hard drive. Apple solution couples 128-gigabytes of flash memory with a standard hard drive to create a single storage volume that intelligently manages frequently-used files and programs to optimize performance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    I still haven't put in my order. Looks like I won't have it until January now.
  • Reply 2 of 28
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member

On Schedule

Initiated
    Picked up
    In transit
    Delivered

In transit
    SHANGHAI CN

Shipment Dates

Ship date

Dec 10, 2012

Estimated delivery

Dec 13, 2012 by 10:30 AM

Destination

Largo, MD
  • Reply 3 of 28
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

On Schedule

Destination

Largo, MD

Curious if you purchased a standard configuration or did you get a Build-to-Order machine?

• Reply 4 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

you wouldn't have to... just get macpro or MBPr

• Reply 5 of 28

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

Or maybe he wants an iMac.

• Reply 6 of 28
    xgman wrote: »
    On Schedule
    Initiated
    Picked up
    In transit
    Delivered
    In transit
    SHANGHAI CN

Shipment Dates
    Ship date

Dec 10, 2012
    Estimated delivery

Destination
    Largo, MD

Jealous of your positional good.

bcode wrote: »
    Curious if you purchased a standard configuration or did you get a Build-to-Order machine?

I'm curious, too. Usually I pick up in the store but I'm thinking my build (max everything but minimum RAM) will only be available as a BTO option.
  • Reply 7 of 28
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by koban4max View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

My business partner has the rMBP (with the 27" LED).  Loves it.  That being said, he's still buying an iMac for the home office.

• Reply 8 of 28

That is awesome !!   What time did you order it?   (I'm assuming you ordered it on the 30th, I put my order in at 3:30pm)   Also is yours BTO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Shipment Dates   Dec 10, 2012

Estimated delivery      Dec 13, 2012 by 10:30 AM

• Reply 9 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Yeah..that too..

• Reply 10 of 28

Have a Jan' delivery date on my BTO.

27inch (baby...)

i7.

680MX.

Fusion.

8 gigs of ram. (Upgrade to 16 or 24 later...)

I'll enjoy Christmas...but the New Year will bring some cheer. ;)

Lemon Bon Bon. 

• Reply 11 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Readers said their doers have shipped from Shanghai, 

I want to get a doer for Christmas. Wonder if mine will also ship from Shanghai.

I hope it works out better than that helper monkey I ordered.

• Reply 12 of 28

BTO with delivery scheduled on December 13th. A pleasant surprise and a belated birthday (or early) Christmas gift image

• Reply 13 of 28

Another one !!  When did you place your order ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

BTO with delivery scheduled on December 13th. A pleasant surprise and a belated birthday (or early) Christmas gift image

• Reply 14 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by elcamino383 View Post

November 30th @ 7:12 AM CST

• Reply 15 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by hamiltonrrwatch View Post

November 30th @ 7:12 AM CST

I ordered mine about 20 mins earlier, customized with the following, and it's still processing. Did you do much customizing?

• 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7

• 8GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM-2X4GB

• 1TB Fusion Drive

• NVIDIAGeFrc GTX 675MX 1G GDDR5

• APPLE MAGIC MOUSE

• Apple Num Kybd(Eng)+User's Gd

• Reply 16 of 28
    That is great but anybody know when it hits Apple stores local is still selling old IMac for users.
  • Reply 17 of 28
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    I want to know when they will make a 27" cinema display with that profile. The current was looks ridiculously bulky by comparison.
  • Reply 18 of 28

Placed an order for a BTO 27" i7 16G 680MX 1T Fusion Saturday morning 1st of December (they only went live sometime Friday afternoon in Australia), delivers 1st to 9th of January, :(  oh well. 

• Reply 19 of 28
    solipsismx wrote: »

Do you have an Apple Store nearby. They will likely receive stock. If all you want is a standard machine you could get lucky and have a machine by the weekend
  • Reply 20 of 28

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mode 5 View Post

Placed an order for a BTO 27" i7 16G 680MX 1T Fusion Saturday morning 1st of December (they only went live sometime Friday afternoon in Australia), delivers 1st to 9th of January, :(  oh well. 

I ordered a BTO on the first day, too, but through my local shop.  While the Apple Store was technically still listing 2-3 weeks, the shop told me that their internal order system said it would be January.

If it arrives during December, I'll just start believing in Santa Claus again.