G5 next week. Certain.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
There WILL be a G5 PM announced next week, you can order it, but it won't ship till March.

Speed: 800DP, 1000DP, 1200DP

The current PM line will all be DP Apollo 800, 900, 1000 Mhz immediately.

Powerbook will ship 733 and 867.

In a few days you will see...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 252
    whats you source?
  • Reply 2 of 252
    philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    Some of the test boxes that everyone's been talkin about were fetched back this weekend with a message effectively saying 'thanks a lot, job done. We're ready to roll.'

These were mostly G5s and overclocked Apollos.

Apple and MOTO have kept this so tight you won't believe it. The rumour is this was MOTO's last chance to perform or they were history.

From what I've heard the performance on these test boxes was so good there is NO WAY Apple will not start production ASAP. They have been shipping some of the test boxes with a second box which contains a dual Athlon to compare it to and guess what? the G5 is more than TWICE as fast at everything they tried.

I personally saw one of the Dual Athlons running Lightwave and was blown away. When I had calmed down a bit my friend laughed and said 'you ain't seen nothing yet, that thing will be roadkill next week'.

If anyone else here knows a tester, give them a call and ask where there box is. They've all been recalled ready for the announcement next week.
  • Reply 3 of 252
    gnomgnom Posts: 85member
    and this isn´t just a dream of a diehard Macfan? How would we know?

I DO want to believe, I just can´t.

bye.
  • Reply 4 of 252
    two powermac lines? announced at the same time? [EDIT: where's the skeptical icon?]

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Strangelove ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 252
    Well, if Apple does ship 2 sets of PM towers you can bet that the G5 systems will be at a premium price.
  • Reply 6 of 252
    crayzcrayz Posts: 73member
    I don't believe it. It is a possibility that Apple could be shipping up to 1GHz now, and G5s in a month or two(which would explain why all the resellers say only 1GHz G4).

But I still don't believe it. It's just too good to be true.
  • Reply 7 of 252
    xypexype Posts: 672member
    damn, I want dual G5 for lightwave rendering, that raytracing is killing my 700mhz athlon
  • Reply 8 of 252
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    they should just make a shitload of 700 g4s and sell them as quads. They should be twice as powerfull as the iMacs, they could sell them as 3d rendering stations or whatever. Just make a grand amount of 700Mhz'es and then just punch them into a quad model

that is what people would like. $2348 with shipping. no monitor though. Those go onto the computer monitor holder. Like a flag pole!
  • Reply 9 of 252
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    I just want to go on record saying that I believe this is pure BS. Thank you for your time.
  • Reply 10 of 252
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    [quote]Originally posted by philbot:

<strong>There WILL be a G5 PM announced next week, you can order it, but it won't ship till March.

In a few days you will see...</strong><hr></blockquote>

If this is the case I will be ordering a new PB867 to replace my 500 AND a G5 tower (possibly two towers).
  • Reply 11 of 252
    mikemike Posts: 138member
    [quote]Originally posted by Nebagakid:

<strong>they should just make a shitload of 700 g4s and sell them as quads. They should be twice as powerfull as the iMacs, they could sell them as 3d rendering stations or whatever. Just make a grand amount of 700Mhz'es and then just punch them into a quad model

that is what people would like. $2348 with shipping. no monitor though. Those go onto the computer monitor holder. Like a flag pole!</strong><hr></blockquote>

I don't think OSX 10.1.x supports more than 2 processors although I could be wrong!

[edit] Besides, most tasks taken by themselves wouldn't be as fast on a quad 700 as they would be on a single 800. Even applications that are multithreaded many times will not use both processors for the same task. MySQL is a good example: if You hammer the DB with a SERIOUS query you will only see 1 processor go way down, not both. Howver, if you see constant queries you will see both balance out somewhat because the multiple queries are using multiple threads.

[ 01-19-2002: Message edited by: Mike ]</p>
  • Reply 12 of 252
    synsyn Posts: 329member
    They have been shipping some of the test boxes with a second box which contains a dual Athlon to compare it to and guess what? the G5 is more than TWICE as fast at everything they tried.

I personally saw one of the Dual Athlons running Lightwave and was blown away. When I had calmed down a bit my friend laughed and said 'you ain't seen nothing yet, that thing will be roadkill next week'.

Then you should be able to provide us with more info regarding the machines... DDR? FireWire2? ATA133? Single proc?

This seems to good to be true.
  • Reply 12 of 252
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>I just want to go on record saying that I believe this is pure BS. Thank you for your time.</strong><hr></blockquote>

LOL.
  • Reply 14 of 252
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Can I just say that I am **VERY** skeptical of a G5 release in mere days. Look at it this way, if there's too much "new" stuff that the G5 were to have, like Gigawire, a faster system bus, etc, don't you think Apple would like to demonstrate for the press and the rest of us just how much better their new PowerMac is?
  • Reply 15 of 252
    [quote]Originally posted by philbot:

<strong>There WILL be a G5 PM announced next week, you can order it, but it won't ship till March.

In a few days you will see...</strong><hr></blockquote>

DO NOT believe this....this is absolute poppycock!!!!
  • Reply 16 of 252
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    [quote]G5 next week. Certain.<hr></blockquote>

Shouldn't your titled be: CONFIRMED: G5 NEXT WEEK!
  • Reply 17 of 252
    Keep hope alive!
  • Reply 18 of 252
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
  • Reply 19 of 252
    I am reading this with a ****ing large grain of salt. I do think that the G5 will be released this moth in shipping quantities. I know a kid from school who's dad is an EE and he TOLD me that G5's would ship shortly and that is when he would upgrade.

Just what he said?
  • Reply 20 of 252
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    No.