Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 261 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Sorry, Bob, but being caught up in hysteria implies there is no tin foil plot, just hysteria.

(Gotta love the tin foil reference in the context of the present thread, though.)

So you're saying that the only reason the Australian police singled out Apple Maps is not because it was the cause of a recent string of tourists getting put in a life-threatening situation, but rather that they were only looking for a reason to bad-mouth Apple Maps?

• Reply 262 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Still no straight answer? It really looks to me like you are dodging it. I don't blame you, though. It was a pretty ridiculous thing to write. I wouldn't want to have to try to explain it either.

Ask a rational question and I will provide a rational answer. Your question has been demonstrated to be irrational.
  • Reply 263 of 507
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by tflanders View Post

It is possible because Apple did a good job on the mapping, but a poor job on usability. The city isn't misplaced at all. There is just another, much larger entity with the same name. If the user doesn't supply anything like an address or postal code to differentiate, Apple returns the the centre of the bigger region instead of the town with the same name. Neither the data or not the app are technically doing anything wrong, but end result is very bad press.

So you're saying there's a "Mildura" in Murray-Sunset National Park?

The Tumblr site I posted earlier has more examples of various cities that Apple Maps has misplaced. Not all of them have a similarly named entity anywhere near them. All I'm questioning is where this mapping data is coming from. Is Apple not using the same base source Nokia and Google are using? Since there are already accurate maps, where was the cross-check?

For individual things like stores and the such, I can understand being slightly out of place. But entire cities?

No, he is saying that Murray-Sunset National Park is in the Local Government Area formally called the Rural City of Mildura.

Also interesting is that on the vic.gov.au mapping site, that LGA is identified just as Mildura, which presumably is how it got into the Maps database under that name.

• Reply 264 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Leaving the entire world save NA without a native mapping app at all? Let's think.

Every country has fault with Google Maps. What's the point?

The world would not be without a nav app, lets not get narrowed minded and think one-directional. Apple would have kept the Google or similarly app and field tested the maps apps. Do you really think people use maps apps in Russia, which bigger land area than USA.

I think you have this way of reading what you want to read and not understanding people's point of view, especially when you think something has been said bad about apple.

Sarcasm is not your strong point and I was just stating that maps could have been better beta tested in one country. 

Lets see it was released, it got bad reviews and everyone gone back to their previous apps, why not keep previous apps, do beta testing in select country and the roll and then roll the app out.

You cannot compare Google maps app earlier version to Apple, since as apps user, I expect the more recent competitor to have release an app, which is superior to earlier competitor's app and learned from their mistakes. Google Maps did have issues, but how can you compare that version with Apple Maps today. Lets be fair and because we love Apple make irrational comments.

• Reply 265 of 507

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Apple would have kept the Google…

Except they wouldn't have.

Do you really think people use maps apps in Russia, which bigger land area than USA.

… Yes? What else would they use? What do you expect them to use? What does land area have to do with it? Seems to me they'd be more likely to use it than anyone else.

Sarcasm is not your strong point and I was just stating that maps could have been better beta tested in one country. 

1. How is that sarcasm?

2. You still haven't explained how that's "better", given that it's probably objectively worse.

Lets see it was released, it got bad reviews and everyone gone back to their previous apps, why not keep previous apps, do beta testing in select country and the roll and then roll the app out.

But this couldn't possibly have been known until after the fact. It's like in imagining alternate history when people pretend the tank could have been made earlier; the tank wasn't an obvious concept at the time.

• Reply 266 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

So you're saying that the only reason the Australian police singled out Apple Maps is not because it was the cause of a recent string of tourists getting put in a life-threatening situation, but rather that they were only looking for a reason to bad-mouth Apple Maps?

No, getting caught up in the hysteria implies just that, not that they had an ax to grind, just that they acted irrationally because they weren't thinking straight.

• Reply 267 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Ask a rational question and I will provide a rational answer. Your question has been demonstrated to be irrational.

Still dodging. Everyone can see that you are being asked very simple straightforward questions. They can also see why you are trying so hard not to answer them.

• Reply 268 of 507
    adamcadamc Posts: 583member
    "Due to bad cell coverage in the area"
    Is this partly to blame too.
  • Reply 269 of 507
    Feel free to put it in "context" if you feel I'm taking it out of context.

Why would I repeat myself when you're ignoring the rest of my posts? I asked what it was that you did not understand from my explanations on those posts and you pretty much ignored both my question and those posts. I pointed out the fact that your question was loaded with a fallacy and you ignored that point too, instead choosing to claim that I am dodging it.

But, frankly, I don't see how it can mean anything but that you are arguing that Google Maps and Apple Maps ought to be judged by entirely different standards because Apple Maps "replaced" Google Maps. In which case, you need to explain why getting replaced absolves one solution from criticism.

Dude, I've already explained that here! What is it that you do not understand in that post?

PS: Please also don't edit posts after my replies. Thank you!
  • Reply 270 of 507

Quote:

No, getting caught up in the hysteria implies just that, not that they had an ax to grind, just that they acted irrationally because they weren't thinking straight.

I find nothing irrational about making a statement in the interest of public safety after MULTIPLE recurring instances. In my opinion, you simply come across as an Apple apologist that is sour grapes because it happened to be iOS Maps that was the offending application.

• Reply 271 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Forced? Talk about sham arguments, you are the Scarecrow King. What was forced by Apple? Customers were forced to buy an iPhone 5? No! Customers were forced to install OS 6? No! These actions all require effort to achieve. **** your falsely impassioned hyperbole and try to make a balanced and reasoned argument for once.

I found this interesting. I was thinking as I read this thread that anyone that uses a free apps in a remote location where they could get lost for 24 hours without food and water isn't very smart. While I don't like Apple maps because I do feel it could be better I would never use any free app if I was in a place where I could die if the map was incorrect. I use Google/Apple maps to get around traffic or to find a place for the first time.

I remember an issue like this with Facebook years ago when Facebook went down. There were people that wanted to sue Facebook because when it went down it hurt their business. So they were going to sue a company that gave them something for free.

• Reply 272 of 507

Quote:

Except they wouldn't have.

… Yes? What else would they use? What do you expect them to use? What does land area have to do with it? Seems to me they'd be more likely to use it than anyone else.

1. How is that sarcasm?

2. You still haven't explained how that's "better", given that it's probably objectively worse.

But this couldn't possibly have been known until after the fact. It's like in imagining alternate history when people pretend the tank could have been made earlier; the tank wasn't an obvious concept at the time.

Apple Maps not used in Russia, since I went their for conference and many locally said it was used for couple of weeks and then went back to Google maps or their in-car nav system.

2. I just giving my opinion, do not have to explain to you how it is better, since you have not explained how it is worse.

Beta testing is standard practise before you roll out an app, Apple could have done it better!

• Reply 273 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

I find nothing irrational about making a statement in the interest of public safety after MULTIPLE recurring instances. In my opinion, you simply come across as an Apple apologist that is sour grapes because it happened to be iOS Maps that was the offending application.

Maybe it's because they haven't done anything like that in the past? I mean, if no one has ever gotten lost in Australia using any other mapping service, or they issued similar warnings on those occasions, then I'll retract my criticism and admit I was wrong about that. Otherwise, my criticism stands.

• Reply 274 of 507
    vaelian wrote: »
    This has already been refuted in this thread, by me no less, and any further arguments you can think about when it comes to this case and my refutation of it have also been refuted. Google Maps does not have to be perfect because it did not replace anything.

Well at least you wear your double standard on your sleeve.
  • Reply 275 of 507

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

…do not have to explain to you how it is better, since you have not explained how it is worse.

Taking away a mapping system entirely, giving no replacement, doesn't automatically sound "worse" to you?

Of course you should explain this.

• Reply 276 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Why would I repeat myself when you're ignoring the rest of my posts? I asked what it was that you did not understand from my explanations on those posts and you pretty much ignored both my question and those posts. I pointed out the fact that your question was loaded with a fallacy and you ignored that point too, instead choosing to claim that I am dodging it.

Dude, I've already explained that here! What is it that you do not understand in that post?

PS: Please also don't edit posts after my replies. Thank you!

Sorry, but the post you linked to doesn't at all explain why Google Maps doesn't have to be perfect because it's being replaced, so, no, you still haven't explained why we should accept a double standard, or, if you reject that interpretation, how that doesn't establish a double standard.

Still laughing at your PS, though. Yes, we're all here to serve you.

• Reply 277 of 507

Quote:

Taking away a mapping system entirely, giving no replacement, doesn't automatically sound "worse" to you?

Of course you should explain this.

Did not say take away the maps system entirely, you said that, I said it should have been rolled out to NA for beta testing, as i said you read what you want to read.

Mt exact words cut and paste for your review 'Apple should have rolled out maps to North America subscribers only and undertake some field testing, since North America has the biggest users of navigation systems in the world and the most complete mapping details for a country'.

In there I did not say use Apple Maps only, just thought people would understand that I was saying field test Apple Maps with Google Maps. Only issue with my comment maybe Google would not allow this practice!

• Reply 278 of 507
    Well at least you wear your double standard on your sleeve.

Not all cases of double standards are irrational.
  • Reply 279 of 507

Quote:

Maybe it's because they haven't done anything like that in the past? I mean, if no one has ever gotten lost in Australia using any other mapping service, or they issued similar warnings on those occasions, then I'll retract my criticism and admit I was wrong about that. Otherwise, my criticism stands.

According to the Victoria police, the amount of rescues required in the last 2 months has been unprecedented. They had to rescue 6 people in the last 2 months alone; all attributed to iOS maps. While I'm sure other people get lost using other mapping applications as well, there is a big difference between arriving to your location to find that your starbucks is not actually there, and being directed into the middle of nowhere.

The biggest problem I see is why was this not addressed earlier? Certainly after a life-threatening incidence, this was reported to Apple as an error. Where is all this "crowd sourcing" we have been hearing about? Why does it take a media frenzy to finally get something like this fixed in iOS maps. To me, that is the much bigger issue...

• Reply 280 of 507

Quote:

So the police issuing a warning the public that Apple Maps was the cause of multiple instances of tourists getting dangerously lost is "not thinking straight"?

They're trying to avoid putting any more human lives at risk.  And also saving the valueable resources needed to make the rescues by nipping the situation in the bud (of course, if they have to rescue them, they have to rescue them). Seems like they're thinking pretty straight to me.