Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 301 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

Considering that you are the one questioning the behavior of the Victoria police, shouldn't you be looking for these? I would think that one would have this information before judging the experts and calling their actions "irresponsible".

For my part, I am completely willing to accept the statements from the authorities and defer to their expertise until presented with a plausible reason to not do so.

Well you have the all-mighty Annonymouse telling you that he is correct and the Victoria Police are wrong. You should clearly take his internet forum authority over the Victoria Police.

/s  ;-)

• Reply 302 of 507
    capoeira4u wrote: »
    Apple Map works like shit here in Thailand.  In 3D flyover, some buildings instead of being tall rectangular objects, they're circular domes.  And most landscape a hundred miles outside of Bangkok is so pixelated it's impossible to make anything out.  It's like they only care about perfecting the major countries and cities from around the world.  What pathetic effort by Apple.

Sounds just like Google at launch.

So Apple is on par with 7 year old technology?
  • Reply 303 of 507

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

So Apple is on par with 7 year old technology?

Nice try.

• Reply 304 of 507
    I've noticed since Maps launched putting virtually any non major NSW city into search and the pin is either miles away (say Parkes, NSW) or on the towns edge (say Orange, NSW), and Tom Tom Australia have done nothing to fix. Strange thing is put a specific street address in one of those towns and it seems to be precise.
  • Reply 305 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    vaelian wrote: »
    ... Nope, I don't recall mentioning anything about the quality of Google Maps in this thread, so I wonder how you reached that conclusion (this is another framed question).

Just this,

Yes it does, in my explanation as to why people have more reason to expect quality from Apple Maps than they ever did from Google Maps. If people don't have reason to expect quality from Google Maps, it follows that Google Maps does not have to be perfect. ...

as an explanation of what this,
    ... Google Maps does not have to be perfect because it did not replace anything.

meant. But now, it seems, you weren't saying anything at all about anything.

What people can reasonably expect from Google Maps and what Google Maps provides in terms of quality are completely different concepts. Just because Google can get away with crappy quality (because people have no reason to expect better) doesn't imply anything about the actual quality of the service. As I said earlier, you seem to have a huge problem with abstract concepts, and it's extremely evident here.

I mean, we've gotten all kinds around here in the past, but I'm not sure anyone has ever been quite as wriggly as you appear to be. So, now that you've denied saying anything about anything, do you have a point?

Yes, I do have a point and a conclusion too: either you are a retard or just trolling. Either way I think we're done, because your irrationality is fully proven now.
  • Reply 306 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Sounds just like Google at launch.

Except Apple should not be launching a product that is comparable to Google years ago, it should be comparable to Google app now. Thats what you do not get and keep referring to Google maps years back.

Show me one game software developer that develops a game compared to competitors games, when there were initially launched, thats what you are implying.

Please stop comparing Apple maps now with when Google Maps was launched it is weak agrument and makes Apple supporters life much harder to defend and ensure rational comments from non-apple people.

• Reply 307 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

But in this case, it wasn't "other software" that caused the tourists to get lost, was it? It was Apple Maps. And the police addressed it strictly as such.

Wouldn't it have been prudent for them to first check if this had ever been a problem with other software, you know, to issue an accurate warning, rather than implying by the absence of the mention of other software that one would be safe with it?

• Reply 308 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I found this interesting. I was thinking as I read this thread that anyone that uses a free apps in a remote location where they could get lost for 24 hours without food and water isn't very smart. While I don't like Apple maps because I do feel it could be better I would never use any free app if I was in a place where I could die if the map was incorrect. I use Google/Apple maps to get around traffic or to find a place for the first time.

I'm a big fan of national parks and travel to one or more per year. The US was the first to officially establish one, Yellowstone, in 1872. I also enjoy my TomTom app on my iPhone. That said, I have never once thought to use an electronic map in the park. Perhaps it's different in Australia than in the US but they usually offer comprehensive maps near or at the entrance of the park.

That's a real shame....  National Parks and Scenic areas could/should be a fantastic experience in 3D FlyOver... for planning and for touring.

To get an idea of what I mean, have a look at JungFrauJoch, Paria Canyon, Mt Hood, Mt Fuji...

Unfortunately, some areas like Canyon De Chelly, Yosemite, Grand Canyon are less than they could be...

BTW,  If you haven't been to Grand Canyon, here's what I recommend:

Drive to Williams AZ, then take the train to Grand Canyon -- to arrive after dark.

Stay at El Tovar... and don't peek!

When you wake up in the morning you will absolutely be blown away!

Anyway, one of the great potentials for Apple Maps, IMO, is 3D Flyover for tour planning and tour taking!  Tourist destinations should pay Apple to 3D Map their  areas.

• Reply 309 of 507

Quote:

What people can reasonably expect from Google Maps and what Google Maps provides in terms of quality are completely different concepts. Just because Google can get away with crappy quality (because people have no reason to expect better) doesn't imply anything about the actual quality of the service. As I said earlier, you seem to have a huge problem with abstract concepts, and it's extremely evident here.

So, are you saying it doesn't matter how bad Google Maps was, that any replacement of it had to be perfect, not just better, or even as good as? And, that you have no opinion on the quality of Google Maps and that it's an irrelevant issue?

Or, are you just writing in the "abstract" with no actual relevance to the issue of this thread?

• Reply 310 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Wouldn't it have been prudent for them to first check if this had ever been a problem with other software, you know, to issue an accurate warning, rather than implying by the absence of the mention of other software that one would be safe with it?

Then you would be implying that the police should tell everyone to not go to Mildura at all. If all other mapping solutions have problems, then we shouldn't use any of them at all and just stay put, that being the safest of all situations.

Ironic that your request is actually walks into the territory of hysteria more than the simple statement the police put out.

Either way, like I said, I'm sure that your request was fulfilled when the police asked them what led the tourists into their particular situation. I'm sure the tourist would have said something along the lines of "Apple Maps told me to use this route." And maybe even showed the police. Seeing as, according to the police, the above repeated itself more times than usual, it only takes 5th grade reasoning to conclude that Apple Maps was causing tourists unfamiliar with the area to get lost.

• Reply 311 of 507

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Except Apple should not be launching a product that is comparable to Google years ago, it should be comparable to Google app now. Thats what you do not get and keep referring to Google maps years back.

Again, that's not the point.

Google Maps launched in the US and Canada. First addition? Japan. Second addition? The Moon.

Yep. The Moon.

It rolled out to other countries (and even subsets thereof) later. And it got things wrong in every single one of them. Got things wrong in the US, too.

Apple, on the other hand, did the whole world at once. They're quite comparable, ignoring timeframes.

• Reply 312 of 507
    So, are you saying it doesn't matter how bad Google Maps was, that any replacement of it had to be perfect, not just better, or even as good as? And, that you have no opinion on the quality of Google Maps and that it's an irrelevant issue?

Nope, again, the replacement does not have to be perfect, only at least as good as what is replaced, and I fail to understand how you could deduce otherwise, especially when I've already demonstrated that such a deduction is completely flawed. You seem to love loaded questions for some reason. Do you really expect me to fall for one? I'm not that basic...

Or, are you just writing in the "abstract" with no actual relevance to the issue of this thread?

Neither.
  • Reply 313 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Then you would be implying that the police should tell everyone to not go to Mildura at all. If all other mapping solutions have problems, then we shouldn't use any of them at all and just stay put, that being the safest of all situations.

Ironic that your request is actually walks into the territory of hysteria more than the simple statement the police put out.

No, I wouldn't be implying that at all. In fact, I explicitly stated they should have gotten their facts straight and made a statement based on the facts rather than issuing a statement with misleading implications.

• Reply 314 of 507

Quote:

Nope, again, the replacement does not have to be perfect, only at least as good as what is replaced, and I fail to understand how you could deduce otherwise, especially when I've already demonstrated that such a deduction is completely flawed. You seem to love loaded questions for some reason. Do you really expect me to fall for one? I'm not that basic...

So, is it your position that Apple Maps isn't as good as Google Maps, or that it's fine as a replacement for them?

• Reply 315 of 507
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    As of this minute, the problem still hasn't been rectified. Why not? Don't they read the news? The police did take the unprecedented action to contact Apple. How hard is it to move a friggen pin on a map? Apple obviously don't give a shit that glaring issues like this don't warrant immediate action. The error is an embarrassment, the lack of action is pathetic. It seems its more important making the 3D pictures look "purdy", instead of getting the data correct. Yes, the users should have checked before going off the highway, but the error should never had existed in the first place. Mildura has been in the same place for over 100 years, but Apple know better? You can't excuse this, it's plain and simple. My daughter last week was misdirected by Apple maps while driving through a major Australian city. She didn't know where she was and ended up lost. It's obvious you can't reply on Apple to do something others have been doing for a decade now. Until it happens to you, you shouldn't judge others just to protect Apples poor work. It isn't a small thing.
  • Reply 316 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Again, that's not the point.

Google Maps launched in the US and Canada. First addition? Japan. Second addition? The Moon.

Yep. The Moon.

It rolled out to other countries (and even subsets thereof) later. And it got things wrong in every single one of them. Got things wrong in the US, too.

Apple, on the other hand, did the whole world at once. They're quite comparable, ignoring timeframes.

wish Apple had only rolled out to US, since that would have been more rational approach, but I understand the arguments, why it could not happen. I do remember when Google maps was released for Moon, what a gimmick!

• Reply 317 of 507
    So, is it your position that Apple Maps isn't as good as Google Maps, or that it's fine as a replacement for them?

Yes, there's lots of evidence of that thus making it factual, ranging from missing features to missing or inaccurate data that Google Maps gets right to the less forgiving search functionality. While Apple Maps may have things that Google Maps lacks, that doesn't make it as good as Google Maps. As long as Google Maps is better than Apple Maps at something, Apple Maps won't be a suitable replacement for it.
  • Reply 318 of 507
    Not all cases of double standards are irrational.

Is that supposed to be a justification for your double standard?
  • Reply 319 of 507
    Is that supposed to be a justification for your double standard?

Nope, the justification was already given: Apple Maps replaced Google Maps, but Google Maps didn't replace anything. Different conditions justify different standards.
  • Reply 320 of 507
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK I don't get the comparisons to Google maps from 7 years ago. Fact is Apple waited this long to get into the mapping business and people are going to compare it to other established mapping services. Why exactly does Apple feel it needs to be in the mapping business anyway? Is it just for data mining? Is there no other service besides Google's that they could have used?