Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 321 of 507
    kr00kr00 Posts: 99member
    After doing some more checking, it has become apparent that Bendigo in Victoria, Australia is also in the middle of nowhere. In the middle of Wellsford Forrest to be exact. **** me, this is just bewildering.
  • Reply 322 of 507
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It wasn't great. No TBT. No vector graphics. Forced to allow customer data to feed back into the Google data mines like that scene in Temple of Doom where all the kids are working in that underground cavern.
    It was a tough spot for Apple and another would have been better, but they didn't have another year. They made the best choice from a bad situation, but fear not because it's a temporary situation, just as Google Maps was worse than Map Quest at the start.
    The only thing to fault Apple for is over promising and under delivering instead of acknowledging up front that there will be some growing pains but that Apple Maps will be the best maps in the world in a lot less time than it took Google to get its maps straightened out.

And Apple is data mining right now?
  • Reply 323 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

Yes, there's lots of evidence of that thus making it factual, ranging from missing features to missing or inaccurate data that Google Maps gets right to the less forgiving search functionality. While Apple Maps may have things that Google Maps lacks, that doesn't make it as good as Google Maps. As long as Google Maps is better than Apple Maps at something, Apple Maps won't be a suitable replacement for it.

Oh, can you link to some of that evidence? And by evidence, I mean object comparisons, not anecdotal, incidental stories. Because, so far, no one has been able to provide a link to this evidence. I knew you'd know where we could find the evidence.

• Reply 324 of 507

As long as Google Maps is better than Apple Maps at something, Apple Maps won't be a suitable replacement for it.

Wait, you're actually using this as your argument?

• Reply 325 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

As of this minute, the problem still hasn't been rectified. Why not? Don't they read the news? The police did take the unprecedented action to contact Apple. How hard is it to move a friggen pin on a map? Apple obviously don't give a shit that glaring issues like this don't warrant immediate action. The error is an embarrassment, the lack of action is pathetic. It seems its more important making the 3D pictures look "purdy", instead of getting the data correct. Yes, the users should have checked before going off the highway, but the error should never had existed in the first place. Mildura has been in the same place for over 100 years, but Apple know better? You can't excuse this, it's plain and simple. My daughter last week was misdirected by Apple maps while driving through a major Australian city. She didn't know where she was and ended up lost. It's obvious you can't reply on Apple to do something others have been doing for a decade now. Until it happens to you, you shouldn't judge others just to protect Apples poor work. It isn't a small thing.

It's not the map data -- it's Apple's search algorithm.

Search for  Mildura airport and it'll take you right there!

However, If I were Apple, I would modify the search to allow it to search for "known issues" first to allow for quick fixes such as this.  (call it a "known Issues" smart folder)

Apple Maps == OK

Apple Maps Search == Sucks!

• Reply 326 of 507
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kr00 View Post

After doing some more checking, it has become apparent that Bendigo in Victoria, Australia is also in the middle of nowhere. In the middle of Wellsford Forrest to be exact. **** me, this is just bewildering.

Probably for exactly the same reason as mentioned previously regarding Mildura. Bendigo is also an administrative region as listed in the state government GIS, and the database is returning the region rather than the city.

• Reply 327 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

No, I wouldn't be implying that at all. In fact, I explicitly stated they should have gotten their facts straight and made a statement based on the facts rather than issuing a statement with misleading implications.

People are getting lost in a dangerous part of Australia: Fact

The people the police rescued were using Apple Maps: Fact (until someone proves to me otherwise)

The users of Apple Maps were unfamiliar with the area: Fact

Apple Maps shows Mildura as in the middle of a national park of Australia: Fact

The users were thinking they were making a simple highway drive and thus didn't see a reason to need to pack survival gear: Fact

Apple Maps led these particular people way off course into a dangerous situation they were not prepared for: Fact

It seems to me that the police got their facts straight.

If anything, your request is actually what would put more people in danger, as you're basically telling us all that Apple Maps is not to blame and there's nothing wrong with it in Australia.

• Reply 328 of 507
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member

Quote:

Originally Posted by rochford View Post

I've noticed since Maps launched putting virtually any non major NSW city into search and the pin is either miles away (say Parkes, NSW) or on the towns edge (say Orange, NSW), and Tom Tom Australia have done nothing to fix. Strange thing is put a specific street address in one of those towns and it seems to be precise.

A poster on Slashdot suggests that maps is pinning the location to the centre of the LGA, where the LGA and the principal city within it share the same name.

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3305149&cid=42240717

Interesting. I can't think of too many case where in mapping app I would choose a less precise location over a more precise one. Yes, I know some of you can concoct *something*, but typically, I'm looking for a location, not a locality.

• Reply 329 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    Oh, can you link to some of that evidence? And by evidence, I mean object comparisons, not anecdotal, incidental stories. Because, so far, no one has been able to provide a link to this evidence. I knew you'd know where we could find the evidence.

No need for links, Google Street View is available on Google Maps, but Apple Maps doesn't implement anything similar, so Apple Maps can't replace that.
  • Reply 330 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Wait, you're actually using this as your argument?

Well, he figures if he recasts his argument in that vein, he can maintain he's right, based on his premise at least. It's a bit of a joke, sure, but lets play along. image

• Reply 331 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

http://theamazingios6maps.tumblr.com/

There you go. If you look through them, you'll see some side-by-side comparisons of the same location in Apple Maps and Google Maps.

• Reply 332 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK I don't get the comparisons to Google maps from 7 years ago. Fact is Apple waited this long to get into the mapping business and people are going to compare it to other established mapping services. Why exactly does Apple feel it needs to be in the mapping business anyway? Is it just for data mining? Is there no other service besides Google's that they could have used?

To be fair, Google maps didn't have voice command integration 7 years ago, and iOS maps at least has Siri integration. 7 years ago, saying the following phrases to your mapping application would have been futile:

"Where the heck are we, Siri?"

"Siri, this abandoned coal mine doesn't look like a Starbucks to me"

"Will I need 4 wheel drive to get over this crazy looking bridge in 3D view Siri?"

• Reply 333 of 507
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Originally Posted by djsherly View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by rochford View Post

I've noticed since Maps launched putting virtually any non major NSW city into search and the pin is either miles away (say Parkes, NSW) or on the towns edge (say Orange, NSW), and Tom Tom Australia have done nothing to fix. Strange thing is put a specific street address in one of those towns and it seems to be precise.

A poster on Slashdot suggests that maps is pinning the location to the centre of the LGA, where the LGA and the principal city within it share the same name.

http://apple.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=3305149&cid=42240717

Interesting. I can't think of too many case where in mapping app I would choose a less precise location over a more precise one. Yes, I know some of you can concoct *something*, but typically, I'm looking for a location, not a locality.

That has been pointed out several times already in this thread.

• Reply 334 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

The people the police rescued were using Apple Maps: Fact (until someone proves to me otherwise)

The users were thinking they were making a simple highway drive and thus didn't see a reason to need to pack survival gear: Fact

Apple Maps led these particular people way off course into a dangerous situation they were not prepared for: Fact

If anything, your request is actually what would put more people in danger, as you're basically telling us all that Apple Maps is not to blame and there's nothing wrong with it in Australia.

Not packing a survival kit in Australia is not smart, I am not saying this caused them to get in danger or is the main reason, but ask any sensible Australian or Kiwi and you should always have your survival kit in your car. Just for that reason, unexpected!

• Reply 335 of 507

Quote:

So, all the other mapping software is perfectly safe then? No chance of getting lost in a dangerous area? Glad we sorted that out. As long as people use some other mapping solution, there is absolutely nothing to fear. Thanks.

• Reply 336 of 507

There you go. If you look through them, you'll see some side-by-side comparisons of the same location in Apple Maps and Google Maps.

NO DOUBLE STANDARD HERE!

• Reply 337 of 507

Quote:

As we all know, there's nothing about that site that qualifies it as an objective comparison. Perhaps you didn't understand the question.

• Reply 338 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

It wasn't great. No TBT. No vector graphics. Forced to allow customer data to feed back into the Google data mines like that scene in Temple of Doom where all the kids are working in that underground cavern.

It was a tough spot for Apple and another would have been better, but they didn't have another year. They made the best choice from a bad situation, but fear not because it's a temporary situation, just as Google Maps was worse than Map Quest at the start.

The only thing to fault Apple for is over promising and under delivering instead of acknowledging up front that there will be some growing pains but that Apple Maps will be the best maps in the world in a lot less time than it took Google to get its maps straightened out.

And Apple is data mining right now?

Of course Apple is data mining...

It's what they do based on that data!  

Google tracks you and sells your data to advertisers.  

Apple tracks you, uses your data to improve your UX -- and only provides aggregate data to 3rd-parties.

I suspect that this is the issue that prevented Apple and Google from reaching an agreement to bring all the "new" [Android] map features to iOS6 and iDevices

• Reply 339 of 507

Quote:

No need for links, Google Street View is available on Google Maps, but Apple Maps doesn't implement anything similar, so Apple Maps can't replace that.

Oh, I see. You aren't concerned with the overall quality of the mapping data, just a feature checklist. I think you're posting in the wrong thread, that's not what this discussion is about.

• Reply 340 of 507

Quote:

Are u for real!!!!!

The computer says NO!