Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 341 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    As we all know, there's nothing about that site that qualifies it as an objective comparison. Perhaps you didn't understand the question.

Or perhaps you can define "objective" so that we can scrutinize the application of your definition to the context of this debate.
  • Reply 342 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by souliisoul View Post

Not packing a survival kit in Australia is not smart, I am not saying this caused them to get in danger or is the main reason, but ask any sensible Australian or Kiwi and you should always have your survival kit in your car. Just for that reason, unexpected!

Granted. But these are tourists we're talking about. The public at-large is relatively stupid.

Hell, I live in the urban US and I still have a decent safety kit in my car. I should probably get some road flares for the coming winter.

• Reply 343 of 507
    Maybe the intended word wasn't travelling
    snoblenet wrote: »
    There is no need to put "(sic)" after "travelling" as that is the correct spelling in Australian English.
  • Reply 344 of 507
    Oh, I see. You aren't concerned with the overall quality of the mapping data, just a feature checklist. I think you're posting in the wrong thread, that's not what this discussion is about.

That deduction is irrational. Just because I mentioned a concrete case doesn't mean that case is the only thing I care about. I only mentioned one case because that was all it took to refute you; it doesn't make sense to read into it.
  • Reply 345 of 507
    Go on without him? How could you wish someone dead because of mutual name calling? That's just mean!
  • Reply 346 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

As we all know, there's nothing about that site that qualifies it as an objective comparison. Perhaps you didn't understand the question.

You ask for non-anecdotal evidence. I show you pictures users took from Apple Maps on their device. You still say that doesn't qualify as evidence. What is your definition of objective? All I see is people posting the mistakes in Apple Maps that they've come across in their use of it. You have to admit that those are some pretty glaring mistakes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, Google Maps doesn't have a satellite view of an area in three different shades like a Neapolitan ice cream sandwich. 

So I'm guessing I'll have to personally show up to your house and bring up all the places listed on that post to satisfy you?

• Reply 347 of 507
    dunksdunks Posts: 1,254member
    Thankfully Apple quickly fixed another dangerous error near my house. Just moved to the area. The shortest route directed my to drive off a four metre cliff because the map data confused two no-through roads with a single road. In the dark it may have been difficult to spot.
  • Reply 348 of 507
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    asianbob wrote: »
    People are getting lost in a dangerous part of Australia: Fact
    The people the police rescued were using Apple Maps: Fact (until someone proves to me otherwise)
    The users of Apple Maps were unfamiliar with the area: Fact
    Apple Maps shows Mildura as in the middle of a national park of Australia: Fact
    The users were thinking they were making a simple highway drive and thus didn't see a reason to need to pack survival gear: Fact
    Apple Maps led these particular people way off course into a dangerous situation they were not prepared for: Fact

It seems to me that the police got their facts straight.

If anything, your request is actually what would put more people in danger, as you're basically telling us all that Apple Maps is not to blame and there's nothing wrong with it in Australia.

Fact: Instead of turning around and going back the way they came, they left their vehicle and wandered around for 24 hours.

Fact: There are signs that you are entering a national park.

Fact: It is entirely implausible that there was NO warning that they weren't going to get where they were going.

Fact: There are other examples posted earlier in this thread where other navigation systems have created problems (including at least some deaths). No one ever said that Apple Maps was perfect, but neither is any other navigation system out there.

Fact: The problem didn't come up for the months after Apple Maps was released - and then suddenly "a number of people" are all affected at once.

Fact: ALL of the people affected just happened to enter the city name rather than a street address (which would have been mapped properly).

Sounds to me like:
    a. Australia suddenly gave drivers' licenses to some intensely stupid people.
    or
    b. The entire thing was orchestrated.
  • Reply 349 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

That deduction is irrational. Just because I mentioned a concrete case doesn't mean that case is the only thing I care about. I only mentioned one case because that was all it took to refute you; it doesn't make sense to read into it.

Well, no, you haven't refuted anything because the entire discussion is about the relative quality of the mapping data. You comment about street view doesn't address that at all. So, what you've done is make an irrelevant comment.

• Reply 350 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Granted. But these are tourists we're talking about. The public at-large is relatively stupid.

Hell, I live in the urban US and I still have a decent safety kit in my car. I should probably get some road flares for the coming winter.

Come on that is even worst, you go into different country and not have a reliable  paper map and only use electronic map in unknown area, come on, that stinks of stupidity. It sound like when I travelled from Ramona CA to las Vegas using my Nav system and wondered why I took so long instead of reading signs on the way and recalbrating the system.

Common sense is forgotten to technology nowadays!

• Reply 351 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

NO DOUBLE STANDARD HERE!

Awesome! Thanks for point that out to me.

I'm just answering his question about showing evidence that Apple Maps is as bad as people are saying it is.

• Reply 352 of 507
    Well, no, you haven't refuted anything because the entire discussion is about the relative quality of the mapping data.

The branch of the discussion we're in has strayed from that a long time ago thus making it irrelevant for you to bring this up because when I posted my first reply to this branch it was already derailed. Don't ignore the context of a discussion that you willingly joined just because it's not convenient to you anymore.
  • Reply 353 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

You ask for non-anecdotal evidence. I show you pictures users took from Apple Maps on their device. You still say that doesn't qualify as evidence. What is your definition of objective? All I see is people posting the mistakes in Apple Maps that they've come across in their use of it. You have to admit that those are some pretty glaring mistakes. Correct me if I'm wrong, but so far, Google Maps doesn't have a satellite view of an area in three different shades like a Neapolitan ice cream sandwich. 

So I'm guessing I'll have to personally show up to your house and bring up all the places listed on that post to satisfy you?

I gave a link at the beginning of this thread that illustrates what is meant by an objective comparison. So far, no one has been able to provide even a single link using similar or equivalent methodology to show that Google's map data or search results are better than Apple's, even in a similarly limited area. People on both sides of the issue can point to specific instances or where both are laughably wrong, but if you're going to make comprehensive claims, you need to provide comprehensive evidence.

• Reply 354 of 507
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    vaelian wrote: »
    Yes, there's lots of evidence of that thus making it factual, ranging from missing features to missing or inaccurate data that Google Maps gets right to the less forgiving search functionality. While Apple Maps may have things that Google Maps lacks, that doesn't make it as good as Google Maps. As long as Google Maps is better than Apple Maps at something, Apple Maps won't be a suitable replacement for it.

Let's try to put this simply - although if your previous posts are any indication, you'll simply obfuscate or refuse to comply. (Same thing applies to Asian Bob. A few pictures does not prove anything. Try to follow along).

1. There are errors in Apple Maps. That is indisputable. The number has not been defined.

2. There are errors in Google Maps. That is indisputable. The number has not been defined.

Now, unless you have evidence that the number in (1) is greater than the number in (2), then your repeated claim that Apple Maps is worse than Google Maps is false.

Simply saying "there are lots of errors in Apple Maps" does not prove that. Simply saying "some of the errors in Apple Maps are things that Google Maps got right" does not prove it. You need to be able to show that the number of errors in Apple Maps is greater than the number of errors in Google Maps for your argument to be correct. So where is the evidence supporting that claim?

(You may go run and hide, as usual, now).
  • Reply 355 of 507
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Surely, in modern times, no map made by a professional would be 40 miles off. So they would either have a (reasonably) accurate map of a given place or no map at all. So what has happened here? Some kind of database loader program error? It's just odd.

• Reply 356 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vaelian View Post

The branch of the discussion we're in has strayed from that a long time ago thus making it irrelevant for you to bring this up because when I posted my first reply to this branch it was already derailed. Don't ignore the context of a discussion that you willingly joined just because it's not convenient to you anymore.

I guess that's why none of your comments make any sense. You were talking about something unrelated the whole time.

Which rule # is that, I wonder?

• Reply 357 of 507
    I gave a link at the beginning of this thread that illustrates what is meant by an objective comparison.

And I demonstrated that the link you provided did not back up your claims and even mentioned some cases where Google maps is better (like the search), thus refuting your point.
  • Reply 358 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

Let's try to put this simply - although if your previous posts are any indication, you'll simply obfuscate or refuse to comply. (Same thing applies to Asian Bob. A few pictures does not prove anything. Try to follow along).

1. There are errors in Apple Maps. That is indisputable. The number has not been defined.

2. There are errors in Google Maps. That is indisputable. The number has not been defined.

Now, unless you have evidence that the number in (1) is greater than the number in (2), then your repeated claim that Apple Maps is worse than Google Maps is false.

Simply saying "there are lots of errors in Apple Maps" does not prove that. Simply saying "some of the errors in Apple Maps are things that Google Maps got right" does not prove it. You need to be able to show that the number of errors in Apple Maps is greater than the number of errors in Google Maps for your argument to be correct. So where is the evidence supporting that claim?

(You may go run and hide, as usual, now).

He was talking about something else, no one knew, our bad. (We still haven't been able to pin down exactly what he was talking about, of course.)

• Reply 359 of 507
    I guess that's why none of your comments make any sense. You were talking about something unrelated the whole time.

Not my fault if you are incapable of following the context of a thread... I came late and managed to do it; you seem to be the only confused party here...
  • Reply 360 of 507
    He was talking about something else, no one knew, our bad. (We still haven't been able to pin down exactly what he was talking about, of course.)

Prove that no one knew. So far, the only one who seems to be confused is you... I even asked, several times, exactly what it was that you were not understanding, and you never replied to my questions, implying that you actually understood, which I am now interpreting as a reaction of shame.