Apple addresses 2012 Mac mini HDMI flicker issues with software update

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Apple on Monday released a software update for owners of its recently updated Mac mini desktop, addressing an issue that would cause a connected screen to flicker.

Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.7 is a 4.53-megabyte download now available from Apple. It's compatible with the late 2012, Ivy Bridge powered Mac mini models released by Apple this fall.

Apple said the update, recommended for all users, will address HDMI flicker issues. Users must not disturb or shut off the power to their Mac mini while the firmware is updated.

Display flickering issues with the new Mac mini have been well documented in a popular thread on the Apple Support Communities forums. There, users have reported that the video from their Mac would cut out for a short period of time before returning.

Mac mini

The flickering issue happened relatively infrequently ??about once every few hours, users said. However, it happened often enough that some users noticed it on a daily basis.

Users experienced the issue with a wide range of monitors, and also when using an HDMI to DVI converter.

The Mac mini was updated with Intel's latest Ivy Bridge processors and up to 16 gigabytes of RAM in a new model released in late October. The desktops also feature Intel HD 4000 graphics, Bluetooth 4.0, and up to 1 terabyte with a hard disk drive, or 256 gigabytes with a solid state drive.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Praise God! I thought it was just mine!
  • Reply 2 of 9

Sweet, that was getting old really fast. 

• Reply 3 of 9
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member
    I just took delivery of mine today. Heading out the office door to get home and set it up. I guess I'll do updates first!
  • Reply 4 of 9

It appears to have been an issue with the firmware/drivers for Ivy Bridge. Some Intel mainboards for "PCs" have the same issue. Intel said a driver/firmware update would resolve this. Glad it's out now, I've got an 2012 mini, with 2 Apple Cinema Displays, and it was driving me nuts, the HDMI output changes to "snow/static" for about 2 seconds, then back to the image. It was doing it every 2 hours or so. Annoying when you're watching a movie.

• Reply 5 of 9
    razorpitrazorpit Posts: 1,796member

So far so good!  This was the only issue I had with my Mini otherwise this this is awesome little machine.  I take back what I said about this being a "down-grade revision" because of the discrete graphics issue.  I ordered mine with the Fusion drive and added 16GB of RAM myself.  Granted I'm not in to gaming, but this thing is truly a screamer for what I do.  I'm waiting to see what's going to happen with Retina and iMac's before I spend that kind of money, for now this Mini will easily handle everything I can throw at it...

• Reply 6 of 9

I have had the new macmini for a week. Two movies turned to snow screen. Working in the dark with Photoshop I thought I had hit a new screen degauss key command. I sure hope this upgrade fixes these events.

• Reply 7 of 9

Yeah I was getting the snow screen too, while working on Illustrator.  So far no more flickering, the firmware worked. 

• Reply 8 of 9
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.7 is a 4.53-megabyte download now available from Apple. It's compatible with the late 2012, Ivy Bridge powered Mac mini models released by Apple this fall.

I guess that means it won't do anything for the HDMI output on my 2011 Mini cutting out for a few seconds every few minutes.

• Reply 9 of 9

Anyone know if they ever released a fix for the earlier models as well? I have a mid 2010 model that has this exact issue and would love to get rid of it.

thanks for your help!