Samsung Galaxy S3 Sudden Death Syndrome

Posted:
in iPhone edited July 2015

Have you guys heard of this? I was considering to buy an S3 (so many people here just badmouth anything that has no "i" in front of its name, I didnt want to be one of them) to see how this thing really performs. I have tried it out on a few occasions... and it just blew my iPhone away. I had a hard time to keep a straight face when my friend wanted his S3 back haha..

BUT now I heard about this Sudden Death! My friend was laughing at me, for paying twice what he did, to evenutally get less functionality...  but who is laughing now?

Apparently S3s are dying left and right! Nobody knows why... the only thing you can do is just to bring it back and have it exchanged. Which of course is no problem, while you still have guarantee on your phone, but what if 1 year already has passed? How functional is your dead S3 then???

So maybe some people here ARE right: Yes, you pay twice the price, no, it won't do all the things Android phones have been doing for a while now... BUT GUESS WHAT: It won't just die on!

http://www.samsungupdate.com/tag/galaxy-s3-sudden-crash

Quote:

There has been a common issues with many Galaxy S3 devices around the world that has started to bother a lot of people. The problems is this: Galaxy S3 is suddenly dies and doesn’t turn on again until you take it to be repaired.

All around the world people are bringing their devices in service because they will not turn on again. This problem has been named a “sudden death” for Galaxy S3. It’s like the phone is “committing suicide” out of nowhere. The issue with this problem is the fact that it doesn’t have a common pattern. The Galaxy S3 dies after charging, during charging over night, after turning the screen off it will not turn on again. As far as I can see it is a pretty scary problem.

The most common situation with the Galaxy S3 dying is when charging the phone over night. When you try to turn on the screen, it will not respond. You will not be able to turn on the phone with the power button. Pulling the battery off and on again also doesn’t help. It seems that the only resolution for this problem is to take your phone to be repaired in a specialized store.

The good this is that Samsung is responding well to this issue, meaning that they repair all the phones that are brought to them with this problem, or more likely they will give you a new one.

There is no official statement regarding this issue, but seeing how more and more Galaxy S3 owners are complaining about this, we can conclude that there are some real hardware issues with the Galaxy S3.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55

If they give you a new phone in the unlikely event of a "sudden death" - then you don't have anything to loose.

Except maybe if you root the device ;).

• Reply 2 of 55

Originally Posted by Nathillien View Post

If they give you a new phone in the unlikely event of a "sudden death" - then you don't have anything to loose.

Guess you missed that it's only under warranty:

Which of course is no problem, while you still have guarantee on your phone, but what if 1 year already has passed? How functional is your dead S3 then???

• Reply 3 of 55

is it possible to recover all yr datas..ie yr photos ,videos etc? if this sudden death syndrome occurs? is it a software or hardware problem?

• Reply 4 of 55
    aspenx wrote: »
    is it possible to recover all yr datas..ie yr photos ,videos etc? if this sudden death syndrome occurs? is it a software or hardware problem?
    Sure it is. You back up your phone, right?
  • Reply 5 of 55

Buy a shiny imitation Mercedes and then wonder why it won't start? Nah!

You will see him on TV any given Sunday

Win the Superbowl and drive off in a Hyundai

• Reply 6 of 55

Two of my friends using Galaxy S3 had reported the same issue. 

• Reply 7 of 55

I just brought my Samsung S3 to a service center and was told that my memory will not be restored once they replace the motherboard. I had the same problem - woke up to my phone completely dead after leaving it charging overnight. 

Does the S3 indirectly back up your phone memory? I don't think i backed up my memory (whether it's an internal app or 3rd party). 

Any insights here?

• Reply 8 of 55

hi im so glad ive foumd this site as this happened to ,my s3 last night. i was worried that i did something to it at first but has been working fab for the 5 months ive had it.

the man in the 3 store said hes never heard of this but i guard my phone with my life and its not been dropped or water damamged!!!! im hoping to hear back from repairs tommorrow. i hope it resolves the problem!!!!!

• Reply 9 of 55
    As of today my s3 started shutting down and now won't restart. I had used almost all the memory and wonder if that caused the problem. Power user for business.....amazing phone except for this....

Now I wonder if should take to service center or reset on my own?
  • Reply 10 of 55

after read the article, i checked my phone (which is put away since i bought iphone 5) and got the same issue, phone not booting up no matter what i tried.

I came to samsung store in sydney yesterday. tell them about the issue. They said because my phone is have a crack on the screen, they have to charge me from 200-300$ WTF?? i told them im not here to fix the screen, my phone is dead, just help me turn it on but they still refuse and ask to charge me money if i wan to repair.

I said to them this is bullshit, this phone is bullshit and throw it on the floor. Walk out.

• Reply 11 of 55
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Is the same person setting up multiple accounts to post the same thing? Similar problems with capitalization, spelling, sentence structure. I swear if they're not the same person they must all have gone to the same school.

See leanelz7 / vegetto / justnewlistings / aspenx

Strange...

• Reply 12 of 55

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Is the same person setting up numerous accounts to post the same thing? Similar problems with capitalization, spelling, sentence structure. I swear if they're not the same person they must all have gone to the same school.

Four different IPs, four different countries, four different user agents. Either he gets around, or… image

Perhaps hwjunkie has simply advertised this thread somewhere else.

• Reply 13 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Four different IPs, four different countries, four different user agents. Either he gets around, or… image

Thank you sir. Just happenstance then five out of the six "unique" posters that said it happened to them have never met a capital letter they liked, nor have access to a spell-checker. One of the stranger occurances I've come across.

• Reply 14 of 55
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    The top post does read somewhat like a spammed infomercial. Maybe it's me being more sensitized due to a recent conversation.

Also yes, you need to back up your phone on occasion. Even if it never dies, you might lose your phone, or it might get damaged.
  • Reply 15 of 55

Quote:

Advertised? I would call it a bit different.

So lemme guess, there is actualy NO "sudd*en de*ath" sindrome with S3. At least not in such an extent as some at AI trying to pull off.

- The * are there on purpose guess why. image

jones04 is especially funny in this regard:

"two of his friends..."  wow "statistically he should have something like 50K to 100K friends depending on where on Earth he lives. LOL

• Reply 16 of 55

So lemme guess, there is actualy NO "sudd*en de*ath" sindrome with S3. At least not in such an extent as some at AI trying to pull off.

"two of his friends..."  wow "statistically he should have something like 50K to 100K friends depending on where on Earth he lives. LOL

Pro-Samsung PR Mop-Up Brigade, Activate!

• Reply 17 of 55
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member

Quote:

Quote:

There are a lot of discussions of this problem on the Android forums - mostly outside the US, so it does appear to be a real problem with at least one version of the phone. The OP did look like spam though.

• Reply 18 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

There are a lot of discussions of this problem on the Android forums - mostly outside the US, so it does appear to be a real problem with at least one version of the phone. The OP did look like spam though.

I seen some complaints also while looking to see if it was a legit problem for at least some users. I didn't pay attention where those affected were tho.

• Reply 19 of 55

Quote:

Yes, im not free enough to make clone. To me, this phone is just a piece of crap, bought $450 as brand new on Ebay and they want to charge me for $300 to fix??

I crush the phone to the ground in front of them, point at samsung store and yell "bullshit" **** samsung lol. I

• Reply 20 of 55

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegetto View Post

Yes, im not free enough to make clone. To me, this phone is just a piece of crap, bought $450 as brand new on Ebay and they want to charge me for $300 to fix??

I crush the phone to the ground in front of them, point at samsung store and yell "bullshit" **** samsung lol. I

Simple googling, first link:

http://www.ibtimes.com/samsung-galaxy-s3-sudden-death-problem-device-getting-bricked-without-warning-corrupted-nand-blame

Going down few comments and here is this one:

"i have same issue, walked to samsung store in sydney but they refused for warranty, ask me for $200-300 to repair, i said bull shit and throw the phone on the floor. Then walk out. **** samsung"

Sounds familiar?

Was that you vegetto? Or did you just borrow the story?

Anyways, I still thing this "sudden death" is a non issue - it can happen of course but in much smaller amounts than AI crowd hopes for.