Inaccurate Apple Maps directions causes 'life threatening issue' for travelers, says Australian poli

Comments

• Reply 461 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You took a complex issue and reduced it to two options. 

Yes, this is done ALL the time when making comparisons. Using your logic, it would be nearly impossible to make any comparisons without setting up false dichotomy/trichotomy etc. Dumbest thing I have heard today. 

Let's say I wanted to have a discussion about the difference in types of vegetables, squash and tubers maybe. Starting out my conversation with "Assume we have 2 vegetables, a zucchini and a turnip" does not automatically qualify as a false dichotomy. Just because I only chose 2 vegetables doesn't suggest that these are the ONLY 2 vegetables in existence; explicitly or implicitly. Your inability to comprehend this is startling, and if you are indeed a 'teacher', I would like to know where so that I can make a mental note of where not to move my children...

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You specifically stated that someone had to choose from those two options and then used Occam's razor to select one of the options. 

This is a fabrication that YOU have decided to make up. In fact, I never said that anyone had to choose ANY option. The two options were selected based upon previous discussions being debated for illustration. Heck, even your own definition for a false dichotomy notes the use of verbiage like 'either' and 'or'. Notice how my post did not contain this verbiage in my statement?

Considering any debate with you must be reduced to a reading comprehension lesson, I'm afraid this will be the end of my conversation regarding this. Cheers :)

• Reply 462 of 507
    To Apple and Eddie Cue:

Congratulations on a job well done!

By recognizing this problem and correcting it quickly, you turned a negative into a positive!

+++ for Apple maps.

Maybe the true measure for a maps app should be how quickly problems are detected and corrected.
  • Reply 463 of 507
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member

Problems can be corrected in a matter of minutes on google maps...

See this page and my answer to Hill60 at posts 51 and 52 :

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/153318/mapping-app-powered-by-google-maps-pulled-from-app-store/40

• Reply 464 of 507
    clemynx wrote: »
    Problems can be corrected in a matter of minutes on google maps...

Can be != are. 💩
  • Reply 465 of 507

Originally Posted by AlexN View Post

Police are worried that Maps is leading them astray when the idiots are going out totally unprepared, i.e., no water in summer (or almost summer)? Are these fools trying for a Darwin Award or something? Talk about lack of bushcraft. Mindless idiots.

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

But if the discussion is about inaccurate map data, why isn't this framed as "Google vs Tom Tom data"?

When was the last time TomTom got anyone a headline?

Exactly. The last real piece of journalism was a story about a fireman rescuing some children from a burning orphanage. In 1943. Since then there hasn't been any real news. Only entertainment.

• Reply 466 of 507

Playing on words? They are.

Try to ask for a correction on the place I linked to in maps... we'll see.

• Reply 467 of 507

That little road I circled is called Peck CL.

I'll ask for a correction on Google Maps, and you'll do the same on Apple Maps. We'll see which one is faster.

You guys always talk much, but never show practical proof. We'll see, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

• Reply 468 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

To Apple and Eddie Cue:

By recognizing this problem and correcting it quickly, you turned a negative into a positive!

+++ for Apple maps.

Maybe the true measure for a maps app should be how quickly problems are detected and corrected.

Technically speaking, the Austrailian police recognized the problem. Apple and Eddie corrected it after the fact.

That's not to say that their correction time shouldn't be commended.

• Reply 469 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by e_veritas View Post

, and if you are indeed a 'teacher', I would like to know where so that I can make a mental note of where not to move my children...

Great Scott!  He was a "teacher"?  I feel great pity for the kids that had to endure through his class. 

• Reply 470 of 507

Oh well... Apple took it a bit too far when they thought they could keep the project in house, become independent from Google and still do well! In fact not just well but beat the competition on a field where G maps has years of experience?!?? I think that's an excess of corporate confidence. And the truth is that there are a bunch of emerging apps out there that do a great job and yet receive not enough attention! I think these two are some good examples http://www.mevvy.com/tools/inrix-traffic/ or http://www.mevvy.com/tools/waze/in the end why fuel the giants when we all need business and specially startups??? 

• Reply 471 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by AsianBob View Post

Quote:

To Apple and Eddie Cue:

+++ for Apple maps.

Technically speaking, the Austrailian police recognized the problem. Apple and Eddie corrected it after the fact.

That's not to say that their correction time shouldn't be commended.

I doubt if we'll ever know... but I wonder how the Apple Maps people became aware of the issue...

Did someone report the problem or did someone at Apple Maps read the blogs?

• Reply 472 of 507

Oh well... Apple took it a bit too far when they thought they could keep the project in house, become independent from Google and still do well! In fact not just well but beat the competition on a field where G maps has years of experience?!?? I think that's an excess of corporate confidence. And the truth is that there are a bunch of emerging apps out there that do a great job and yet receive not enough attention! I think these two are some good examples http://www.mevvy.com/tools/inrix-traffic/ or http://www.mevvy.com/tools/waze/in the end why fuel the giants when we all need business and specially startups??? 

• Reply 473 of 507

Oh well... Apple took it a bit too far when they thought they could keep the project in house, become independent from Google and still do well! In fact not just well but beat the competition on a field where G maps has years of experience?!?? I think that's an excess of corporate confidence. And the truth is that there are a bunch of emerging apps out there that do a great job and yet receive not enough attention! I think these two are some good examples http://www.mevvy.com/tools/inrix-traffic/ or http://www.mevvy.com/tools/waze/in the end why fuel the giants when we all need business and specially startups???

• Reply 474 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

That little road I circled is called Peck CL.

I'll ask for a correction on Google Maps, and you'll do the same on Apple Maps. We'll see which one is faster.

You guys always talk much, but never show practical proof. We'll see, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not.

People here, have posted that they have reported map issues to Google for years and that they have not been corrected.

I believe that both you and I have better things to do than to scour for arcane map errors...

Looking to the future, what interests me is the 3D Flyover capability of Apple maps.  I wonder why major cities like: Paris, Washington, DC, etc. do not have 3D  flyover maps.

Is it a misplaced concern about security?  An ownership of the data/images issues?  A resource issue?  A cost/revenue issue?

I don't pretend to know, but other cities have 3D Flyover maps -- cities like: Rome;  Berlin;   Florence;  Copenhagen;  Barthelona...

• Reply 475 of 507

Quote:

I doubt if we'll ever know... but I wonder how the Apple Maps people became aware of the issue...

Did someone report the problem or did someone at Apple Maps read the blogs?

Probably enough people used the error tool.  The bit of publicity probably helped fast-track the correction.

• Reply 476 of 507
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Can I ask a dumb question that none of you people in 400 posts have failed to question? Why is this discussion about "Google maps vs iOS maps"? The app is iOS 5 Maps vs. iOS 6 Maps. The data for the former is sourced from Google, while the data for the latter was sourced from Tom Tom. Both version of Maps were developed by Apple.

So if its the Apps you don't like, call out Apple. But if the discussion is about inaccurate map data, why isn't this framed as "Google vs Tom Tom data"?

FYI:

-> http://www.google.com/intl/en_us/help/terms_maps.html

"(b) Certain Content is provided under license from third parties, including but not limited to TomTom Global Content BV ("TomTom"), and is subject to copyright and other intellectual property rights owned by or licensed to TomTom and/or such third parties. You may be held liable for any unauthorized copying or disclosure of this Content. Your use of TomTom Content, including but not limited to printing or use in marketing or promotional materials, is subject to additional restrictions located in the Legal Notices page."

• Reply 477 of 507

Quote:

People here, have posted that they have reported map issues to Google for years and that they have not been corrected.

I believe that both you and I have better things to do than to scour for arcane map errors...

Looking to the future, what interests me is the 3D Flyover capability of Apple maps.  I wonder why major cities like: Paris, Washington, DC, etc. do not have 3D  flyover maps.

Is it a misplaced concern about security?  An ownership of the data/images issues?  A resource issue?  A cost/revenue issue?

I don't pretend to know, but other cities have 3D Flyover maps -- cities like: Rome;  Berlin;   Florence;  Copenhagen;  Barthelona...

I'm particularly concerned about Paris because it's were I live, but I think I know why. It's forbidden for planes to fly over the city, and no planes = no flyover.

I also lived in Rome and it looks great in flyover. Milan has small coverage but a lot more detailed than that of huge cities like LA imo (smaller surface so better resolution).

*Barcelona

• Reply 478 of 507

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

Quote:

I'm particularly concerned about Paris because it's were I live, but I think I know why. It's forbidden for planes to fly over the city, and no planes = no flyover.

I also lived in Rome and it looks great in flyover. Milan has small coverage but a lot more detailed than that of huge cities like LA imo (smaller surface so better resolution).

*Barcelona

Ah... Sad to hear that about Paris... But I couldn't find any 3D Flyover maps in France???

I did some surfing and all I could find was:

Quote:

Impressions de France

Impressions de France (Impressions of France) is a movie about France, the featured attraction in the France Pavilion of Epcot's World Showcase at Walt Disney WorldLake Buena Vista, Florida. The movie is projected onto five adjacent screens, giving 220° coverage, resembling Circle-Vision 360°.

Impressions de France, which has been playing since the opening day of the Epcot park in 1982, is a travelogue of the French countryside, major cities, various regions, and important structures. The film, set a musical score written by Buddy Baker (composer), encompasses the music of classical French composers such as Claude Debussy and Camille Saint-Saëns[1] The film, itself, is the work of director Rick Harper[2] and produced by two-time Academy Award nominee Bob Rogers (designer)[3] The film's aerial views, mixed with closer views, includes, among other things, the Eiffel Tower, the Champs-Élysées and the Arc de Triomphe, the French AlpsVersailles, scenes from CannesNotre Dame de Paris, and scenes from Normandy. The movie is presented with a lively classical soundtrack. The narrator's name is Claude Gobet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impressions_de_France

I have a web acquaintance who lives in Paris and does video filming and video editing.  So I put the question to him:  "Can you point me to any videos of flyovers in Paris (or any other French locations}?"

I certainly hope he finds some videos, as this would indicate that a possibility exists for 3D Flyover mapping

• Reply 479 of 507
    anonymouse wrote: »
    vaelian wrote: »
    And I demonstrated to be open to that possibility. If you don't think I refuted everything, please bring it up for further discussion and clarification.

Well, you were, using your own rules of argument, universally and permanently refuted, so we're done with you.

I was? Where and when? Are you done with me due to lack of arguments? Because you've posted a lie! You were the one who was found to be foolishly posting without even understanding the context of the thread, remember? That makes the content of all your posts a huge straw man fallacy, because you were projecting me in a position that I never took all along and attacking that position, and you did that out of pure stupidity, nothing else, becausr you could have easily read the context on page 3.

Your retardation is fully proven. Don't feel ashamed, though; you're pretty average over here.
  • Reply 480 of 507
    Has everyone forgotten the errors in Google Maps in the early days of the service? How about MapQuest? I have personal experience with Tom-Tom inaccuracies as I use a Tom-Tom device in my car. The bottom line is that ANY database is going to have errors, and while many errors will be corrected over time, some will always remain. As an earlier poster observed, making critical travel decisions in unknown territory relying on just ONE source of information is foolish in the extreme.