47% of consumers interested in Apple television, willing to pay 20% premium

Comments

• Reply 21 of 81

What a ridiculous poll.  It's like asking people if they'd pay to ride a unicorn, IF one is found. Some people would say they're willing to pay 20% over what the fair is charging to ride horses.

Anyway, the magic of Apple TV won't be the hardware to many people (although I'm sure it'd be excellent).  The magic will be if Apple can break the current "bundled" channel setup.  

• Reply 22 of 81
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

I have to laugh at this.

So people ages 18-29 would pay a 32% mark-up on a TV from Apple.

OK, so what is their household income?  And what do they do for a living?

My guess is there are a couple reasons why this is:

• They aren't going to be the one's paying for it (still living off Mom & Dad)

• They are very well off, considering the latter half of that age bracket would only be 3-5 years out of college.

• They don't have any concept of a household budget yet and will just "charge it".

You missed the big one: they don't have kids yet.

• Reply 23 of 81

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

How do Samsung and Google smart TV's work? Are users forced to upgrade their TV to get the latest and greatest software or could they have a TV for 5+ years and still get all the "smart" benefits from it?

Simple: they just never update the software ever, at any time.

Originally Posted by allenbf View Post

Anyway, the magic of Apple TV won't be the hardware to many people (although I'm sure it'd be excellent).  The magic will be if Apple can break the current "bundled" channel setup.  

I'm doing some research into this whole schpiel and coming up with some more ideas for the future of the Apple TV, so I'm probably gonna hold off on my judgement of box or TV until I'm done there.

But you're absolutely right about this. This is the crux of the entire argument; hardware is meaningless unless they've destroyed the telecoms.

• Reply 24 of 81

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    Are those the same 47% that Romney called 'moochers' or the 47% that ended up voting for him?

• Reply 25 of 81
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Simple: they just never update the software ever, at any time.
    So they stick software in the TV but never update it? I get updates on my DirecTV box without having to purchase a new box. I can't believe it would be that different with an actual TV set.
  • Reply 26 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

97% of car owners would be interested in a Porsche (and 47% would be willing to pay a 20% premium). Only 1% of car owners currently own a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin. 1% of the 1% have no idea if their car is a Porsche, Ferrari or Aston Martin. 

Perhaps...early adopters can drive sales. I paid $1,200 for two original iPhones. One for me and one for my daughter. I paid ~$300 for the original ATV. I was happy with both those purchases. 

Also, 70%-75% of the US economy is driven by the consumer. But, most people don't realize is that 50% of the US economy is driven by the top 10% income earners. That's Apple's target. 

• Reply 27 of 81

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

So they stick software in the TV but never update it? I get updates on my DirecTV box without having to purchase a new box. I can't believe it would be that different with an actual TV set.

Old roommate had a Sony smart TV. Lived together two years, and I don't recall it ever getting an update. Nor the Sony Blu-ray player to which it was attached, and I guess the latter, at least, is surprising to me in retrospect.

• Reply 28 of 81
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

2. I belong to that 10% of people who pay over $2000 even though I don't watch that much TV. Actually non, only movies or a good series (to me: Sopranos, The Wire, Boardwalk Empire). So although it's not turned on every day, I do see the darn black thing in the living room and will buy B&O again if Apple doesn't create a TV set. Something I cannot phantom, but ok.

20% over normal TV prices is still like 1200% under B&O prices.  The Beovision 11 is an amazing $10,500 for a 46" 3D HDTV.  The base model 40" is $5,995. 

For reference the top end 64" Sony Bravia XBR (fronted with Gorilla glass no less) is $5,199.  The mid grade 46" Sony Bravia HX850 is $1599.  The value 46" BX450 is a mere $699 which is slightly more expensive than the equivalent Vizios and Samsungs.

If I had money to burn I wouldn't get the B&O but the new 85" 4K Sony XBR for $25K.  Folks that buy B&O stuff isn't the top 10% but in that 1% category.  

You don't buy B&O for quality components.

I would expect any Apple TV to be priced comparably with Sony's XBR line with the same quality levels.

• Reply 29 of 81
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Old roommate had a Sony smart TV. Lived together two years, and I don't recall it ever getting an update. Nor the Sony Blu-ray player to which it was attached, and I guess the latter, at least, is surprising to me in retrospect.

You can sometimes get firmware updates if you want.  Most don't bother unless there's something wrong.

• Reply 30 of 81

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

I don't think that is how this works. Apple uses quality components to create their products, resulting in top notch stuff. Competition tries to make things cheap because they don't understand why people would pay for quality and therefor use inferior components. Resulting in crap products, but getting bigger market share because not everyone can afford more expensive products.

In the long run however, things might actually be cheaper if you buy premium over cheap.

Please.  Once you get away from wal-mart and best buy house brands, there a re LOTS of quality TVs out there.  

My biggest concern over an Apple branded television experience is it will begin the push for pay per view on everything you watch.  

• Reply 31 of 81
    philboogie wrote: »
    3. I seriously hope Apple will look at the prospect of a TV set on a global scale and not limit it to US only. Meaning they will need to think of subtitles, countries that are government funded as opposed to ad revenue and other local things like that.

They don't need a TV set for that. Just better store deals and requirements.

Better store content then works with computer, device and STB
  • Reply 32 of 81

Quote:

I have a Samsung Blu Ray player, it seems every time I turn it on it asks if I want to update.  I hate the thing anyway, worst tech purchase I've ever made.  I'd toss it but the kids use it from time to time.

• Reply 33 of 81
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

I just don't see the hype behind Apple making a TV and why people would be willing to pay a 20% premium over a top of the line Sony or Samsung TV, which right now are the kings of quality. They certainly wouldn't capture the lowend of the spectrum, those who would spend no more than 600 for a TV and they would alienate almost everyone who's bought a TV in the past few years...these aren't phones were talking here. 

Now I could understand if Apple revamped its Apple TV box, which offers everything to EVERYONE and would be much more widely available and accessible. 

I personally could see this Apple TV being akin to the Xbox with Kinect (voice and gesture controls) but with individual channels. Unless they have some new pricing scheme for TV i just dont see TV ever being a big Apple thing. 

• Reply 34 of 81

Sure, an 18 year old is gonna buy a $1000 Apple TV set. An 18 year old saying this is not much different to a 14 year old daring someone to do something and saying they'll give them a million dollars. It's all talk.

Besides, the Apple TV, if it exists or ever comes out will NEVER be $1000. $1500 absolute minimum.

• Reply 35 of 81

Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I just don't see the hype behind Apple making a TV and why people would be willing to pay a 20% premium over a top of the line Sony or Samsung TV, which right now are the kings of quality.

If that's "quality", I'd hate to see what isn't.

The premium is for a usable interface.

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Besides, the Apple TV, if it exists or ever comes out will NEVER be $1000. $1500 absolute minimum.

Depends on the size.

• Reply 36 of 81
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    philboogie wrote: »
    I don't think that is how this works. Apple uses quality components to create their products, resulting in top notch stuff.

To an extent, I think it is. Apple can command economies of scale so they can get better product that costs less to build. Part of this is that they don't have so many bloody variations to chase down, making logistics and support more complicated then it needs to be.
  • Reply 37 of 81
    ifail wrote: »
    I just don't see the hype behind Apple making a TV and why people would be willing to pay a 20% premium over a top of the line Sony or Samsung TV, which right now are the kings of quality.

*snort*

That's a good one.
  • Reply 38 of 81
    ifailifail Posts: 463member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

*snort*

That's a good one.

Quote:

If that's "quality", I'd hate to see what isn't.

The premium is for a usable interface.

I bought a 55" Samsung almost a year ago and the picture on it is fabulous, nothing other than Samsungs own lineup has come close to trumping the TV that i currently have other than obscene new tech that isn't practical to buy yet (4k). My TV is not a "Smart TV" but why would i spend an extra 2-300 dollars on a TV with apps when i own an Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U and an Apple TV? Just owning my Apple TV with its Airplay capability makes owning a Smart TV pointless.

• Reply 39 of 81

Originally Posted by ifail View Post

I bought a 55" Samsung almost a year ago and the picture on it is fabulous…

Oh, sure! No, no, I definitely believe their panels are some of the best.

But that's all a TV is right now. The panel. No intelligence, no software, nothing. The less than mediocre attempts at "smart" TV software so far only serve to detract from the quality of the hardware.

• Reply 40 of 81
    ifail wrote: »
    I bought a 55" Samsung almost a year ago and the picture on it is fabulous, nothing other than Samsungs own lineup has come close to trumping the TV that i currently have other than obscene new tech that isn't practical to buy yet (4k). My TV is not a "Smart TV" but why would i spend an extra 2-300 dollars on a TV with apps when i own an Xbox 360/PS3/Wii U and an Apple TV? Just owning my Apple TV with its Airplay capability makes owning a Smart TV pointless.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about an Apple TV, I've even disconnected my existing AppleTV. No matter what you think of Apple or the possibility of an Apple screen, I'm not convinced Samsung makes top-notch TVs. I really should have held out for a Panasonic. Sony seems to make OK TVs, but not for the price.

I currently own a Samsung plasma made about three years ago. No matter what I do, I can't get it to show acceptable blacks without crushing blacks. A test pattern bears this out.

A power outage also netted a couple dead pixel rows.

No matter what I do to the settings, it takes two button presses and two seconds to switch from one source to the next. Newer models fix this particular stupidity, but I have no reason to go back to them for a while for that reason.