Apple seeks European trademark for 'leaf' portion of company logo

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In a new filing with the European Trademark Registry, Apple has applied for rights to the leaf section of its iconic apple logo in a bid to further expand the company's constantly multiplying patent and trademark portfolio.

Leaf Trademark
Apple's filing for the figurative "leaf" portion of its logo. | Source: The Register

First discovered by The Register, the filing was submitted to the European trademark body on Dec. 3, with Apple going through London law firm Edwards Wildman.

Apple is looking to protect the leaf portion of its apple mark, not the entirety of the logo. If the request is granted, the trademark will cover ten classes of products including computers, film streaming services, paper packaging, jewelry and educational material.

According to the filing, Apple also filed for similar rights in China, though it is unclear if that trademark was established.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12

Took long enough to break here. 

If there's no reference to its use or placement in their existing logo, I'm not sure I want this to be accepted. Unless, of course, they're planning to use it in future product branding.

• Reply 2 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Took long enough to break here. 

If there's no reference to its use or placement in their existing logo, I'm not sure I want this to be accepted. Unless, of course, they're planning to use it in future product branding.

I expect Apple are worried about leafing part of their logo uncovered.
  • Reply 3 of 12

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

I expect Apple are worried about leafing part of their logo uncovered.

Phylum on you; not another pun thread! This is truly serious; I'd like to know what the implications of this'll be.

Could they be doing it for further power over wider brand lawsuits? Is it for a future line of simplified product?

Maybe they took offense at the Scoopertino story

I take offense at the ™ on the poster. Apple wouldn't sully their own advertising with such stuff.

• Reply 4 of 12
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

If Apple wanted only that leaf and exactly that leaf, then it might be okay.

Unfortunately, they've shown time and again that they're not happy just safekeeping their own exact logo... instead they want to prevent everyone else from having a mark that even has an apple with a leaf.

Apple claims that the little cafe's mark, and NYC's (aka the Big Apple) recycling mark would "be confused" with Apple Inc.  Seriously?

Considering their history, giving them that leaf would undoubtedly open up tons more opportunities for Apple's lawyers to bully the owner of any mark that uses a leaf.

• Reply 5 of 12

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

instead they want to prevent everyone else from having a mark that even has an apple with a leaf.

Nope, just ones that misuse it in appropriate places. Like, oh, every single Chinese knockoff ever.

The German cafe's is connected; it wouldn't ever be a valid complaint.

I like how impartial the link in the article is. I also like how deeply it is based in fact and not complete and utter lies. 

I also like that the above won't be read as sarcasm by some.

• Reply 6 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Nope, just ones that misuse it in appropriate places. Like, oh, every single Chinese knockoff ever.

Oh I'm sure you're right... because Apple's been so successful stopping Chinese knockoffs using US trademarks.

Quote:

I also like that the above won't be read as sarcasm by some.

• Reply 7 of 12

Quote:

Oh I'm sure you're right... because Apple's been so successful stopping Chinese knockoffs using US trademarks.

It's not about stopping knockoffs. It's about being shown to make an effort to stop them. If Apple doesn't do whatever they legally can - ineffective though it may be - to make it quite clear that the knockoffs are infringing and misusing Apple's trademarks, then when some company who they can actually pursue in court infringes, the infringer can point to the Chinese companies and say, "Apple didn't enforce their claimed trademark against those guys. They're unfairly picking on me."

- Jasen.

P.S. But, wow, what a world we live in where a little tilted oval thing can be the subject of legal proceedings.

• Reply 8 of 12

Your implication is that they have tried. They haven't.

I don't get what you're trying to say.

• Reply 9 of 12

Ah well, I thought that leaving in the comment about sarcasm would be such a huge clue, but okay enough of that.

What I'm saying is that of course Apple hasn't been going after "just ones that misuse it", like Chinese knockoff makers.

Apple has also constantly threatened innocent entities with an apple in their logo.

I mean, c'mon, suing an organization in "The Big Apple" itself over an apple?   NYC has had that nickname since at least the 1920s.

• Reply 10 of 12

Apple has also constantly threatened innocent entities with an apple in their logo. I mean, c'mon, suing an organization in "The Big Apple" itself over an apple?   NYC has had that nickname since at least the 1920s.

I'm bothered by that, myself. Also, what was it, a Polish grocery store? 

Apple does have some valid points in what they attest, but a line is generally drawn between industries that makes those suits seem frivolous.

• Reply 11 of 12
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Why would Apple claim trademark rights for the shoe industry, jewelry and educational products among the 10 categories they want protection in? Is Apple planning to sell shoes and watches now too? 

FWIW the design isn't claimed to be a leaf anyway, so it could potentially apply to even a generic boat hull shape or anything else that might appear to look similar. I've seen lots of simple leaf shapes used for bracelets. My wife owns a pair of earrings that look near-identical to Apple's requested trademark as I remember them.  It would be wise to see this one turned down IMHO.

• Reply 12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Why would Apple claim trademark rights for the shoe industry, jewelry and educational products among the 10 categories they want protection in? Is Apple planning to sell shoes and watches now too? 

FWIW the design isn't claimed to be a leaf anyway, so it could potentially apply to even a generic boat hull shape or anything else that might appear to look similar. I've seen lots of simple leaf shapes used for bracelets. My wife owns a pair of earrings that look near-identical to Apple's requested trademark as I remember them.  It would be wise to see this one turned down IMHO.

OTOH, I could see people releasing jewelry, shoes, etc. that use the tilted "leaf" trying to associate themselves with Apple's brand. Or maybe the "leaf" with a different shape underneath it. Kind of like the "i" prefix. There's now a ton of "iThis" and "iThat" products that are clearly piggy-backing on Apple's iOS products.

I understand Apple wanting to shutdown that kind of activity. But at some point the courts have to decide how far that branding protection extends. iPlunger? iHouse of Pancakes?