Yahoo! launches iOS mail client in push to streamline service

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Yahoo! on Tuesday rolled out a host of new mail clients for iOS, Android, Windows 8 and the Web in an effort to cull advertising and other distractions from the service's user experience.

Yahoo! Mail for iOS
Source: Yahoo

Announced by Yahoo! CEO Marissa Meyer in a post to the company's official blog, Mail is supposedly built for speed and features a spartan interface much like the erstwhile Sparrow, which was recently purchased by Google.

Among the new features are an "intuitive and easier to navigate" inbox, gesture support and a unique GUI that is consistent across all supported devices.

"You've told us loud and clear that you want fewer distractions when it comes to email. You want to quickly login, communicate, and get on with your day. And we've listened," Yahoo! CEO Marissa Meyer said in a blog post. "Starting today, the new Yahoo! Mail is fast, easy and available anywhere you go."

Mail joins other apps in the company's stable, including News and Messenger which were recently updated in September and November, respectively.

Yahoo! Mail for iOS comes in at 3.9 MB and can be downloaded through the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"You've told us loud and clear that you want fewer distractions when it comes to email. You want to quickly login, communicate, and get on with your day. And we've listened," Yahoo! CEO Marissa Meyer said in a blog post.

By jove, she just might get it. Now to get the Yahoo! main page to stop trying to be a "one-stop-shop" like… every site in 1998.

• Reply 2 of 7
    The links in this article don't work%uD83D%uDE14
  • Reply 3 of 7
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Already looks better than the gmail client. What's amazing is that after 5 YEARS, gmail's iOS app is still pretty shitty. Yes, that includes 2.0 which has a load of bugs, and which looks like garbage on any non-retina display with that ultra thin font.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    silly me.. I thought users wanted one consistent and unified interface for all of their mail services (google, hotmail, yahoo, exchange, other IMAP) via a single easy to use mail client without advertising. What was I thinking?
  • Reply 5 of 7
    snovasnova Posts: 1,281member
    slurpy wrote: »
    Already looks better than the gmail client. What's amazing is that after 5 YEARS, gmail's iOS app is still pretty shitty. Yes, that includes 2.0 which has a load of bugs, and which looks like garbage on any non-retina display with that ultra thin font.
    Pretty sure it's a lot better on an Android device. Just like Google Voice, Google X, Y and Z. I am sure it's just a coincidence.
  • Reply 6 of 7

Originally Posted by toysandme View Post

The links in this article don't work%uD83D%uDE14

Thanks for that; they should work now.

• Reply 7 of 7
    Links still do not work.

Ah, okay, they do work in the forum article but not on the main page, I guess that is okay, since not many read the front page anyway and use the forum directly to get their fix. Stupid me.

Ha, just tried it, since Mail is a bit horrible. But since the screenshot looks like an iPad version and the one one can download is only optimised for the iPhone and iPod touch, though still pre-retina style, I will give this another go once it comes in "HD" for the iPad.

Mail it is then for now.