Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

We were going to have Apple TV too. So?

Who said so?

• Reply 62 of 227
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Hey Eric Schmidt, actor Charlie Sheen was "Winning" also, still it didn't stop people from looking at his actions and thinking he was a kook and notice how you don't hear too much about Charlie Sheen anymore, whether on purpose or not!  

WINNING!...  image

/

/

/

What do the three slashes at the end of your post mean? Just curious.

• Reply 63 of 227
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tzeshan View Post

Schmidt did not tell the truths.  I will tell the truths for him.  This year China sold 100 million smartphones.  The overwhelming majority of them are Android based. This is the reason Schmidt can claim Android is winning the war.

But what is the real truth?  Let's understand the use model of those developing nations.  In China I was told that the smartphone buyers are sold a fixed amount of data plan.  They don't have to pay month by month as long as the data is not used up.  I believe most of those smartphone users in China don't use the phone to surf the internet regularly.  They use the phone just as a phone.  They bought the smartphone because it cost about the same as a feature phone. 

Interesting, but so what? Once people get used to Android, there is inertia which might cause their next phone (which they DO use as a smartphone) to be android too. I don't know if this will happen, but it is certainly a factor.

• Reply 64 of 227
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member

I will make one prediction for the next iPhone and I hope it is true. Since Apple won't ever likely allow SD cards, storage is becoming an issue. iCloud, Box, and dropbox can help to a degree but people still are finding that 16Gb just isn't cutting it anymore. I predict the 2013 iPhone will see the base model which sells typically for $199 on contract bumped to 32GB, then offer 64GB and 128GB for the upper tier. The Galaxy Note 2 for example can hold a maximum of 96 GB (32 internal and 64 on SD) It also appears future Android models will double that soon. 

• Reply 65 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitz1 View Post

I probably misunderstood Jobs when launching the first iPad. Didn't he say (word by word) that the price point made it quite impossible for a competitor to enter the tablet market?

Steve lived through Microsoft's dominance of the PC industry, which almost drove Apple out of business (in fact, MS made sure that Apple survived, since Apple's existence weakened the DOJ antitrust case), so Steve knew very well that market share mattered.

• Reply 66 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

As long as Apple has a strong ecosystem in terms of a large number of all the popular apps and tons of accessories there is no reason to worry if Android controls 70% or even 90% of the market. Like others have stated Apple is still making the big $$$. All Apple needs to do is to be considered a viable alternative. That doesn't mean that they can rest on their laurels. I hope to see some big and radical improvements to iOS and the iPhone again. Something that we didn't even know we wanted but can't imagine how we lived without it that Apple is so good at doing. I wonder what goodies are in store for iOS 7.

I'm a big apple fan but this is simply not true. One big reason Apple almost ate it was because it's market share was so low that it couldn't get a critical mass of developers behind it - the intel switch and ability to run windows was a key turning point to allow people to justify purchasing a less developed for OS. iOS has so many apps because it was the first out and had initially had 100% mobile developer support. If it's US market share were to go below ~20% there would be a point where top or mid tier developers would only elect to develop for android and iOS could begin a downward spiral.

Marketshare isn't everything - but you need 50%+ of the key active / informed user base to be strong and sustainable. Apple is not on that path and needs to forgo some short term profits (profits that is is giving away because it doesn't even know what to do with all the $) for long term insurance. I would also recommend they eat humble pie and make a large 2 handed iPhone for those who want them - make a phone to fill all the key market niches. Business is war and you have to fight on all fronts!

• Reply 67 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I will make one prediction for the next iPhone and I hope it is true. Since Apple won't ever likely allow SD cards, storage is becoming an issue. iCloud, Box, and dropbox can help to a degree but people still are finding that 16Gb just isn't cutting it anymore. I predict the 2013 iPhone will see the base model which sells typically for $199 on contract bumped to 32GB, then offer 64GB and 128GB for the upper tier. The Galaxy Note 2 for example can hold a maximum of 96 GB (32 internal and 64 on SD) It also appears future Android models will double that soon. 

Given that the price of flash is dropping, I would be surprised if you were wrong.

• Reply 68 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Brother 84 View Post

It's a shame they didn't chuck that thief off the Apple board a few years earlier.

What did he steal? 

• Reply 69 of 227

Quote:

What don't you get? Android has a huge market share, which Google is hoping to monetize. You feel iPhone is better? Great! I am sure Schmidt agrees. 

Yet, ironically, they've done a better job of monetizing other companies' OSs than their own. They can hope all they want but, despite Winning!, they don't seem to able to monetize Android. To the contrary, when we factor the Motorola acquisition in, it's a giant money pit.

• Reply 70 of 227

Steve Job's was a brilliant person.  But even he made a mistakes when it came to Eric Schmidt.  He should have never been on the board.  Hearing a word here and sentence there is all it takes to know what a company is planning on doing.  But Steve trusted him, Eric Schmidt was anti Microsoft, and he thought he had his back.  Very foolish. 

Apple's goal was and is never to sell the most smart phones, it was and is to sell the best.  This they have done very well so far.  Eric Schmidt's goal is to do whatever it takes.  Job's will be remembered and revered.  Eric Schmidt will not be remembered, and when his name might come up, looking through old emails and publications, he will be remembered as a person not to be trusted.  A stealer of trade secrets.  A person that steals others ideas.  To bad we don't have a legal and congressional system that has the guts to fix our patent system so people like Eric Schmidt get what they have coming to them.  For him, I have no respect.  And I further know that it makes no difference to him what I or anyone else thinks of him.

• Reply 71 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by monstrosity View Post

At the end of the day, Google and Apple are not really competitors. Both have entirely different markets which they address. Microsoft and Google however DO compete for the same type of user (total morons).

So, do you buy Google or MSFT?

• Reply 72 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacRulez View Post

Yep, with nearly 70% of the total desktop+mobile market, Microsoft is doomed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems

Thank GOD someone has some sense....

• Reply 73 of 227
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Interesting, but so what? Once people get used to Android, there is inertia which might cause their next phone (which they DO use as a smartphone) to be android too. I don't know if this will happen, but it is certainly a factor.

This is determined by the satisfaction level.  It is proven by numerous surveys that iPhone has the highest satisfaction level. 

• Reply 74 of 227

Google can not compare themselves to when M$ was betting Apple, simply because M$ made far more money than Apple did during those times, Not only did M$ sell more OS they also made more money then Apple so that is a win. Today M$ still sell more OS than Apple but one big change which is Apple makes far more more money, Google on the other hand gives it away, and they can not say they make more money on Ad from Android systems. I believe Google said last summer that over 60% of their Mobile ad revenue came from an iOS device not even an android device.

The only metric I an tell that Google is winning in is the number of activation. Activation does not translate in to $, it is a potential for $ but that is about it. How many of the activation is someone dumping an old phone to get a new phone, All of this may not be new users which again Apple seems to be adding lots of new users as well as people upgrading.

When these interviews happen why aren't they asking the hard question like, so you have all these activation, how much money are you making per activation. I would like to see the answer to that. We know Apple is making hundreds of $ ever time someone activated an iOS product not only from the hardware but from itunes, Apple has a much larger reoccurring revenue stream with every Itunes account, Yet again Google gives it away.

• Reply 75 of 227
    I know several people that have switched from regular mobile phones or Blackberry's to Android. All of them have now switched to the iPhone.

Google should strive to be like Apple when it comes to Android phones.
  • Reply 76 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

Yeah, but the data they are using is PRE-iPhone 5 sales.  IPhone 5 STILL hasn't landed in China yet.  So far, in the US, the numbers are vastly different, based on the latest information, iPhone is more like 30% and growing.  These guys are just using last quarter's data and just milking it to get attention.

Eric Schmidt is a dick.

Last QUARTER's data! I can't believe they are a whole two months behind the times!

• Reply 77 of 227

Quote:

Originally Posted by jr_b View Post

I know several people that have switched from regular mobile phones or Blackberry's to Android. All of them have now switched to the iPhone.

Google should strive to be like Apple when it comes to Android phones.

How should Google strive to be like Apple, given that they don't make hardware themselves?

• Reply 78 of 227

Quote:

We were going to have Apple TV too. So?

We do have Apple TV. As a hobby, with no claims about taking over the living room, it's doing much better than Google TV. So...

• Reply 79 of 227

Quote:

Last QUARTER's data! I can't believe they are a whole two months behind the times!

Welcome to the world we live in.

• Reply 80 of 227

Thank GOD someone has some sense....

I pose my question to him to you, as well.

"Sense", huh. image