WSJ: Apple testing 'several' HDTV designs with Asian manufacturers

Comments

• Reply 21 of 62
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,653member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

This is starting to take shape very nicely.

Sharp owns 29% of Loewe AG, which makes high end LCD TVs for sharp.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Business-profile?s=LOEX:GER

Expect some very cool physical designs with iOS software integrated.

Everything will be streamed.  No more UHF / VHF antennas.

Time will tell.

The problem is that IMO, there aren't that many people who would give up either over-the-air or cable/satellite and those who would are probably satisified streaming to their computer or portable device.   If you have one primary TV, you want it to do everything.   And since an Apple TV would probably be priced higher than traditional TVs, I believe that consumers would balk at losing functionality.   That also includes the ability to use the TV with a full-fledged multichannel audio system, although only a subset of consumers actually do that.   And that's aside from the quality issues of compressed streaming formats vs. live broadcast. 

If Apple does build a set, it has to be more than embedding Apple TV and removing functionality.    It has to create a whole new UI that makes it incredibly easy to find any kind of content:  whether on another device, via Cable/Satellite, over the air or streaming from the network.    Many TVs already have much of this functionality, but the UI leaves much to be desired.    Account management of network services is another issue.    Apple would need to unify that (assuming that they provide access to services they don't provide, like Pandora, Amazon, etc.)

The other issue is that among higher-end users, the PQ demands for a TV are higher than that for a computer (with the possible exception of those who do professional photograph or video on the computer).   So where "black crush" might not be much of an issue for a computer screen, it's a big issue for TVs.  And while the Sharp Elite line with technology adopted from Pioneer Kuro sets are considered high end, they have a big problem with color (I forget the exact issue, but I think the have a blue push that can't be fixed with alignment procedures.)

• Reply 22 of 62
    Well-designed TV with Siri and iTunes built-in. That would be rad, looking at an Apple 50" and saying, "Siri, rent Blade Runner and play it now."

And those TV mockups look like more Samsung ugliness. Stop it.
  • Reply 23 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by thataveragejoe View Post

Frankly those TV designs are hideous, no idea why they come up every thread, so I hope not. Apple is better than that. The speaker designs aren't that special, that's pretty much what everyone does these days. Time will tell? Thanks Cpt. Obvious.

I concur. Those Leowe design is hideous and they have always been. We are not living in the 70s anymore. Please turn that picture off. Urgghh!
  • Reply 24 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    This is starting to take shape very nicely.
    Sharp owns 29% of Loewe AG, which makes high end LCD TVs for sharp.

http://markets.ft.com/research/Markets/Tearsheets/Business-profile?s=LOEX:GER

Expect some very cool physical designs with iOS software integrated.
    Everything will be streamed.  No more UHF / VHF antennas.

LL

LL

Time will tell.

Quit doing this crap.
  • Reply 25 of 62
    boxmaccary wrote: »
    What is the use of an Apple TV set when all you need is a $99 set-top box updated once a year?!?

Box won't get an App Store. Box + TV requires two remotes. Apple has less control. Still need to navigate clunky TV UI or remote to switch to Apple TV. Extra cables to deal with. Not a full integrated experience.

I'm surprised people are still saying this. And I expect Apple to continue selling the Apple TV box, separate to their TV.
  • Reply 26 of 62
    Time will tell.
    Loewe stock holder per chance?
  • Reply 27 of 62

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Box + TV requires two remotes.

I've told you a few times how this isn't the case.

• Reply 28 of 62
    Explain it, again.
    I've told you a few times how this isn't the case.
  • Reply 29 of 62

Explain it, again.

A new Apple Remote model could control the volume and power of any model of TV. And with all your content coming through the Apple TV, you wouldn't need the panel itself to do anything else.

Hold Menu to shut down the Apple TV. And if you have your TV set up with the remote, doing that will shut off the TV at the same time. Hold it again and both come on at the same time.

• Reply 30 of 62
    tylerk36tylerk36 Posts: 1,037member

Im so sick of seeing that iMac as an example.  Can't they at least come up with a generic LCD TV with the Apple TV menu?  Or even the new iMac would be nice.

• Reply 31 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

It's fairly obvious that *you* like them as you keep posting the pictures and links over and over again.  

You post so many links to Loewe TV's I think you must own the factory.

Aside from being sort of overly gimmicky, one of the things that I don't like about these designs is that they basically take over the whole room.  

Personally, I like to have a TV in my living room, not live in my "TV room."

Well, there are different size TVs for different size rooms.  Pick the one that is right for your room.

The reason I post the pictures is because I believe Apple is working with Loewe on the TVs.

1.  Apple is partnering with Sharp.

2.  Sharp owns 30% of Loewe.

3.  You may remember a rumor that Apple was buying Loewe.  

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html

4,  Apple can certainly enhance the physical designs and functionality of the Loewe TVs.

Time will tell.

• Reply 32 of 62

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Im so sick of seeing that iMac as an example.

Not an iMac.

Take note, eBayers; many people here can easily be swindled.

• Reply 33 of 62
    A new Apple Remote model could control the volume and power of any model of TV. And with all your content coming through the Apple TV, you wouldn't need the panel itself to do anything else.

Hold Menu to shut down the Apple TV. And if you have your TV set up with the remote, doing that will shut off the TV at the same time. Hold it again and both come on at the same time.

Explain how it works. Explain how you'd set it up. Explain how my parents would do this.
  • Reply 34 of 62
    Well, there are different size TVs for different size rooms.  Pick the one that is right for your room.
    The reason I post the pictures is because I believe Apple is working with Loewe on the TVs.

1.  Apple is partnering with Sharp.
    2.  Sharp owns 30% of Loewe.
    3.  You may remember a rumor that Apple was buying Loewe.  
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html
    4,  Apple can certainly enhance the physical designs and functionality of the Loewe TVs.

Time will tell.

Time will tell.

This forum software sucks balls. I wanted to link to a 9 to 5 Mac story from a while back, which debunks the whole thing, but the forum software won't let me.

It does this nonsense:
    http://************/

I miss you VBulletin (5). Badly.
  • Reply 35 of 62

Explain how it works. Explain how you'd set it up. Explain how my parents would do this.

Hold Menu, tap volume up until the volume goes up. Then let go of Menu. It's now programmed for the TV.

• Reply 36 of 62
    paul94544paul94544 Posts: 1,027member
    Desktop Computers will be replaced with HD screen on a wall. TV will be just one App
  • Reply 37 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hold Menu, tap volume up until the volume goes up. Then let go of Menu. It's now programmed for the TV.

WTF ?

• Reply 38 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Desktop Computers will be replaced with HD screen on a wall. TV will be just one App

Two completely different use case. No time frame given.

• Reply 39 of 62

WTF ?

What don't you get? Rather, what do you need to get?

It's cycling through the codes used by the various brands of television. The user doesn't need to know that; the user couldn't care less about that.

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Two completely different use case. No time frame given.

They said that in the '90s and it hasn't happened yet. "Eventually" seems to be the idea there.

The only thing I want in my wall is a clock. I want a clock that has numbers in Baskerville that blends seamlessly with my wall color. Black numbers during the day, white lit numbers at night, all I see is the numbers, no frame, nothing else. Low power, maybe something similar to e-ink, but blends with my wall so it's just numbers there. 

Basically this, which I fell in love with, but it's 7-bar, which I abhor.

• Reply 40 of 62
    I wish Apple would build a full home theater system, and not get involved in the screen. As we know, whatever they release will be better next year. I would hate to see my $3000 60 inch screen go obsolete in 2-3 years. I would be more inclined to upgrade a box, and so would many others. Apple thrives on those upgrade cycles.