Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In another reactive advertising move, Samsung has put together an elaborate showcase in Australia that takes a jab at Apple over a recent Victoria police announcement which warned travelers against using iOS Maps to navigate to the city of Mildura.

Samsung Ad
Source: CNET Australia

While not as produced as the company's usual anti-Apple television campaigns, Samsung's newest effort, spotted by CNET Australia, can be considered more of an installation than a traditional ad as it involves a number of set pieces including an actual off-road vehicle.

As seen above, the setup is clearly aimed at Apple's latest mapping fiasco with what CNET Australia calls a "a rather lost looking four-wheel drive" next to a sign that reads, "Oops, Should have got a Samsung GALAXY S III. Get navigation you can trust."

On Monday, police in Victoria issued a release on its website saying that a number of motoroists had become stranded in the remote regions of a national park due to incorrect information provided by Apple's Maps app. The problem was fixed within hours, and while no official word has been given as to the source of the erroneous data, The Guardian speculates the cause was a double listing for Mildura in the Australian Gazetteer.

Smartphone mapping apps have come under increasing scrutiny as the proliferation of connected mobile devices extends ever wider. Earlier on Wednesday, Australian police in the town of Colac voiced concern over issues with Google Maps, which reportedly directed drivers down a one-way road not intended for heavy traffic.

As with all technology, GPS-based navigation solutions are not infallible and caution should always be exercised when taking advice from any system, regardless of its manufacturer.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 82
    Does anyone honestly believe this wasn't all staged? All too convenient.
  • Reply 2 of 82

Given the Google Maps news today, they will no doubt regret this. Idiots

• Reply 3 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I've thought several of Samsung's ads were pretty good. Not because they will sway Apple customers but because I think they would sway Android customers who are unsure which Android-based device to purchase. However this attempt is rubbish.
  • Reply 4 of 82
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    So the new warning about similar Googlemaps screwups from the same sources must sting just a tad.

"Police in the town of Colac, west of Melbourne, say that issues with Google Maps can put users' lives at risks when driving along Great Ocean Road and in souther Otways, according to a report from the Australian Broadcasting Corporation. Google Maps has reportedly sent drivers down Wild Dog Road, a one-way road not intended for heavy traffic"

Or it would had Sammie any shame....
  • Reply 5 of 82
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

If the people who "got lost/stranded" had the vehicle and gear shown in the photo above, there would not have been an issue.

• Reply 6 of 82
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

Does anyone honestly believe this wasn't all staged? All too convenient.

Yes, I don't think it was staged.

• Reply 7 of 82
    Get the breast pump cuz AppleInsider is lactating over this story!
  • Reply 8 of 82
    I say we all stop mapping Australia until the whole thing blows over. Agreed?
  • Reply 9 of 82
    Stay classy, Samsung.
  • Reply 10 of 82

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

We mean people other than those who knew it was.

• Reply 11 of 82

Quote:

Of course, anyone that comes here at least once a week already knows that.

You are, let's say... "naive".

• Reply 12 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Samsung gives Australian users a free subscription to NAVIGON maps, so Samsung what's wrong with Google maps?

Went to an appointment in Sydney last night, I cut and pasted the address I received in an SMS into the search field, while I was on a train.

Nokia maps was a fail, totally.

Apple maps worked, flicked to 3D view and went to the building that looked like this:-

Round the corner from the Apple and Samsung stores.

• Reply 13 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

If the people who "got lost/stranded" had the vehicle and gear shown in the photo above, there would not have been an issue.

True, however nobody would envision needing that gear when traveling to Mildura on major routes, which is what they would have expected to be doing and what they would have expected a navigation app would suggest.

• Reply 14 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

We mean people other than those who knew it was.

I am not surprised you would subscribe to a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

• Reply 15 of 82

I am not surprised you would subscribe to a ludicrous conspiracy theory.

"Fortunate happenstance" seems to line up a little too well with "conspiracy" these days.

Don't you think?

• Reply 16 of 82

Raise your hand if you didn't see this coming. I'm only surprised it took so long. It's fair game. After all, Apple certainly made fun of Microsoft.

• Reply 17 of 82

Right.  So when you get off the highway, that should of been red flag #1. Then when you enter a national park should of been red flag #2.  When road turns into a dirt path and then sand, should of been red flag #3.  

I always have extra food and water in my car and I live in a major metropolitan area.  And I always have a road atlas (paper) in the car.  And I check where I'm going first.  So I would notice that major road leads to my destination and I shouldn't be getting off said major road.  Plus I usually read road signs too.  

And if I'm driving through the Australian outback, I would double up on everything. Nature can be scary. 

• Reply 18 of 82
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I've thought several of Samsung's ads were pretty good. Not because they will sway Apple customers but because I think they would sway Android customers who are unsure which Android-based device to purchase. However this attempt is rubbish.

I dislike it for the same reason I disliked the various generations of Mac vs PC ads. I'd rather see products advertised on their own merits.

• Reply 19 of 82
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Given the Google Maps news today, they will no doubt regret this. Idiots

What happened with Google Maps today?  I didn't see anything yet.

Apple did fix the problem is what i read.

• Reply 20 of 82
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Samsung gives Australian users a free subscription to NAVIGON maps, so Samsung what's wrong with Google maps?

Went to an appointment in Sydney last night, I cut and pasted the address I received in an SMS into the search field, while I was on a train.

Nokia maps was a fail, totally.

Apple maps worked, flicked to 3D view and went to the building that looked like this:-

Round the corner from the Apple and Samsung stores.

What Apple should do is remove all Samsung and Microsoft Store locations from being seen on the 3D maps and have a big sign that says.  The place is not considered important location to visit, too fragmented.