Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up

Comments

• Reply 21 of 82

Don't be childish Samscum.  Wait for the days Google ditches you for Motorola!

• Reply 22 of 82
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    When I first tested Apple maps I put in a restaurant exactly 1.4 miles down the road from my house. (no turns straight shot) It told me to drive 1.8 miles passing the restaurant then make several turns then come back with the total distance 2.8 miles. I reported the error from my iPhone and just tried it again after this story a year later. It is still showing same erroneous route. It will get me there for sure, but driving right past the restaurant and driving another mile is pretty bad. Do these error reports actually work? I have tried several times for other mistakes but the mistakes are still showing. If the error reporting doesn't work I will just stop reporting.
  • Reply 23 of 82
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

"Fortunate happenstance" seems to line up a little too well with "conspiracy" these days.

Don't you think?

No I don't.  I think we just have real world events that happened as reported and which a big fuss was made of because the name Apple was involved.  I don't think ASIO, the CIA, KGB, Aliens or Samsung had anything to do with it whatsoever.

The police in Mildura said

Quote:

In the past 30 days, six people have been stranded after turning into the park via a dirt road the Maps application recommends, Mildura police inspector Simon Clemence said. Some were able to get out on their own but others needed to be rescued by police, he said.

http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-technology/isolated-bad-apple-maps-directions-lead-to-desert-20121211-2b6v2.html

So what you are suggesting is that all the reported incidents were staged, including the ones who didn't need rescuing.  Furthermore, the Police didn't notice a pattern or anything to suggest the incidents were faked or linked?  The Police initially tried to contact Apple in Australia about getting the problem fixed, before they made a public statement.  Had they received a positive response, they probably never would have made a public statement and we would be none the wiser.

• Reply 24 of 82
    Given my limited attention span for adds all I read was 'Oops' and the Samsung logo.
  • Reply 25 of 82
    Is this new for Samsung but could they get lives and do something besides "hahaha Apple is having problems" we'll at least Apple fixes them. Maybe they need to fix there problems.
  • Reply 26 of 82

While I'm not a fan of Samsung's products(with the exception of their TVs), their ads are pretty amusing.

• Reply 27 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Of course, anyone that comes here at least once a week already knows that.

You are, let's say... "naive".

I'll take that as a compliment from someone with a roo loose in the top paddock.

• Reply 28 of 82
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

Yes, I don't think.

Fixed that for you.

• Reply 29 of 82

Originally Posted by cnocbui View Post

I don't think ASIO, the CIA, KGB, Aliens or Samsung had anything to do with it whatsoever.

*cough*

And that's not even calling to attention the fact that you consider the CIA, aliens, and Samsung to be on the same level. 

• Reply 30 of 82
    Apple should create an ad of a map leading to the "best smartphone" with the follower being guided to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the ad ends saying, "Apple is working hard to correct errant information!"

A new "corrected" map slide pops up showing the real "best smartphone", the iPhone 5...
    /
    /
    /
  • Reply 31 of 82

Originally Posted by Rot'nApple View Post

Apple should create an ad of a map leading to the "best smartphone" with the follower being guided to a Samsung Galaxy S3 and the ad ends saying, "Apple is working hard to correct errant information!"

A new "corrected" map slide pops up showing the real "best smartphone", the iPhone 5...

Showing competitors = no-no.

• Reply 32 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    cnocbui wrote: »

Yes, I don't think it was staged.

You don't think it was staged despite Samsung having a sign made that they put out in front of the off-road vehicle in camping gear in an area that isn't for camping? Let me repeat, THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!
  • Reply 33 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Fixed that for you.

I thought you were only allowed to use crayons.  Does your teacher know what you've been up to? - tsk, tsk.

• Reply 34 of 82
    chris_ca wrote: »
    If the people who "got lost/stranded" had the vehicle and gear shown in the photo above, there would not have been an issue.

Indeed. Basically all the folks that were stranded were due to flat tires, bad cell reception etc. which might have happened even if they were going the right way
  • Reply 35 of 82
    Showing competitors = no-no.

Gives the impression your stuff has nothing worth talking about.
  • Reply 36 of 82

I think Apple should just roll with this.

There's truly nothing more gorgeous available.

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!

I'm absolutely terrible at image editing, and yet I can whip together all these images of mine that I've done over the years in just a few minutes.

I don't disagree with you, I'm just saying.

• Reply 37 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

You don't think it was staged despite Samsung having a sign made that they put out in front of the off-road vehicle in camping gear in an area that isn't for camping? Let me repeat, THEY HAD A SIGN MADE!

I think we are at cross purposes.  Of course the vehicle, and sign were staged.

I have been referring to the assertion - following on from the previous thread - that the whole business of people getting lost and having to be rescued was engineered and that the Victorian Police have been duped.

• Reply 38 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Given the Google Maps news today, they will no doubt regret this. Idiots

You beat me to it. Crowing about this too early really makes them look like the unbelievable babies they are.

• Reply 39 of 82
    Dear Samsung:

Give me a reason to buy your products that doesn't make me feel like a 13 year old.
  • Reply 40 of 82

If anything, I hope this lights a fire under the butts of the people working on Apple Maps.  It's obvious that our own input isn't being looked at and fixed.  I know everyone's quick to shout out "anecdotal" when we say that maps in our own areas are messed up and not accurate.  I've used the "Report A Problem" feature many times to point out very obvious errors.  Has Apple fixed even a single one of them?  No.  People who drive the same roads day in and day out know when a road goes through a house on the map, or it shows a median when there isn't one, and it's a one way street.  I've even reported a road that goes through a thirty foot high berm on the map when it if fact, does not.  

Apple needs to start listening to us and start fixing these issues promptly.  Hell, I can even send them pictures showing them they are wrong from my iPhone.  These aren't POI issues, they are actual street issues.  I understand that Australia has been getting all of the attention here, but the team at Apple needs to be more proactive with changes than they have been.  I work for the Washington State Department of Transportation.  I deal with traffic and roads every day.  It might be wise to take the word of someone with their boots on the ground.  But so far, I haven't seen changes by Apple on a single one of the issues I've reported.