Samsung ad pokes fun at Apple Maps' Australian mix-up

Comments

• Reply 41 of 82

Originally Posted by Brian Green View Post

If anything, I hope this lights a fire under the butts of the people working on Google Maps.  It's obvious that our own input isn't being looked at and fixed.  I know everyone's quick to shout out "anecdotal" when we say that maps in our own areas are messed up and not accurate.  I've used the "Report A Problem" feature many times to point out very obvious errors.  Has Google fixed even a single one of them?  No.  People who drive the same roads day in and day out know when a road goes through a house on the map, or it shows a median when there isn't one, and it's a one way street.  I've even reported a road that goes through a thirty foot high berm on the map when it if fact, does not.  

Google needs to start listening to us and start fixing these issues promptly.  Hell, I can even send them pictures showing them they are wrong from my iPhone.  These aren't POI issues, they are actual street issues.  I understand that Australia has been getting all of the attention here, but the team at Google needs to be more proactive with changes than they have been.  I work for the Washington State Department of Transportation.  I deal with traffic and roads every day.  It might be wise to take the word of someone with their boots on the ground.  But so far, I haven't seen changes by Google on a single one of the issues I've reported.

Just dropped it into TextEdit and hit "replace all".

• Reply 42 of 82

I seem to recall Australia having very strict laws on advertising; this certainly qualifies as false advertising since Google maps has now been shown to be equally untrustworthy.

• Reply 43 of 82
    noelosnoelos Posts: 127member

Travelling to a remote part of Western Australia I've never visited before tomorrow. I'll use the maps, but might also engage my brain.

• Reply 44 of 82

I didn't mention Google did I?  That's because I'm not using Google Maps.  I'm using Apple Maps.  If Apple isn't using Google Maps in their App, what point does your comment serve aside from misdirection?  

I don't care about Android or Google, and am only interested in seeing the maps get corrected and represent reality instead of having flagrant errors.  Apple, so far, has yet to fix them.  

• Reply 45 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Given the Google Maps news today, they will no doubt regret this. Idiots

I agree. I bet most news outlets will ignore that story, because Google news doesn't bring page clicks or interest -- Apple bashing news does.

To me, Samsung is EXTREMELY insecure and jealous -- the constant Apple mocking and bashing to me show's even though they have through the roof sales, they prefer to take the low road over and over. In the beginning I understand it, like Pepsi going after Coke for years, but now they mostly do not. Samsung, worry about yourself and be happy you have great sales. Move on.

• Reply 46 of 82
    I wonder if Samsung is also honest enough to point out that Google has problems with its maps as well, as has been said by the Australian police.
  • Reply 47 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

I wonder if Samsung is also honest enough to point out that Google has problems with this maps as well, as has been said by the Australian police.

The "problem" that you're talking about isn't really a problem.

• Reply 48 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

I agree. I bet most news outlets will ignore that story, because Google news doesn't bring page clicks or interest -- Apple bashing news does.

To me, Samsung is EXTREMELY insecure and jealous -- the constant Apple mocking and bashing to me show's even though they have through the roof sales, they prefer to take the low road over and over. In the beginning I understand it, like Pepsi going after Coke for years, but now they mostly do not. Samsung, worry about yourself and be happy you have great sales. Move on.

Because it's NOT that serious. 

• Reply 49 of 82
    Apple should respond by showing a screenshot of their bank account balance.
  • Reply 50 of 82
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stay classy, Samsung.

Samsung has never been classy. Apple invested millions into Samsung when its LCD business was dying. Apple is Samsung's biggest purchaser of parts, and Samsung not only uses inside information to copy Apple at every chance it can get, it tries to make fun of Apple. It's ads generally are negative, like the whole poke fun at people standing in line for an iPhone ads. 

Samsung copies competitors in every business. In appliances, it copies GE and LG. Sharp, who has been producing flat panels much longer than Samsung, got into a fight with Samsung for alleged copying. 

• Reply 51 of 82
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    tbell wrote: »
    Samsung has never been classy. Apple invested millions into Samsung when its LCD business was dying.

Did they? I don't recall it being stated who Apple invested with for Apple's high PPI and high quality displays. I am leaning toward it being LG for the technology with Samsung being used for manufacturing.
  • Reply 52 of 82
    " the setup is clearly aimed at Apple's latest mapping fiasco "

Could I ask AppleInsider writers to actually try to choose correctly their wording instead of always making sound dramatic when it comes to Apple? Because why are you talking about a fiasco for Apple when in the same time time for the same exact problem affecting Google Maps you don't call it "fiasco"? It's always frustrating to see people making it big for Apple and just report simple facts (here errors in geo-localization data) as it should be when it comes to Google.

So it's just ok that Google has the same problem, but for Apple, it has to be a fiasco. In facts, Google Maps is full of errors in its mapping data too and that's ok. But no one is making the big mess as for Apple.....

And what to say about the idiots at Samsung? Since they are using Google Maps which is also bogus, they are just saying something equally applicable to their shitty phones. Poor idiots.....
  • Reply 53 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBell View Post

Apple invested millions into Samsung when its LCD business was dying.

When? Any source to confirm it?

Quote:

Apple is Samsung's biggest purchaser of parts, and Samsung not only uses inside information to copy Apple at every chance it can get, it tries to make fun of Apple. It's ads generally are negative, like the whole poke fun at people standing in line for an iPhone ads. 

Well, if you cannot have a fun with your "partner" then with whom can you have a bit of fun ? image

Anyways, I find Samsung adds interesting compared to Apple adds which are boooooooring (except the old Mac/PC adds - those were funny).

My favorite: The whiner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_gITUIhqs

Hilarious.

Quote:

Samsung copies competitors in every business. In appliances, it copies GE and LG. Sharp, who has been producing flat panels much longer than Samsung, got into a fight with Samsung for alleged copying. 

Sure, they copy everything squarely with round corners. image

• Reply 54 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Given the Google Maps news today, they will no doubt regret this. Idiots

Which will be a golden opportunity for Apple to decimate them in an ad that shows the pattern of bs from Samsung.

• Reply 55 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by mesomorphicman View Post

No offense but it's the Apple fans here who are insecure. Look, Apple messed up with maps (although I didn't get lose this weekend using it). Their CEO admitted it. So why can't you accept it too? It's Apple and not you that has to eat humble pie. Why can't you use Apple products happily and also laugh at them when they screw up? Ah, let me see. Are you being defensive because you're a shareholder? Well, so am I and I still laugh.

Like I wrote before, I am only surprised it took Samsung this long to make such an ad. If anything, the tardiness reflects a state of bureaucratic malaise. If I were in charge of Samsung marketing, this ad would have been out within days of release of iOS 6.

For those criticizing Samsung for not being "classy", this is a billion dollar war. Apple is not always the exemplar of class and neither is Samsung (or Google, or Microsoft) because the stakes are really high.

• Reply 56 of 82
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Stay classy, Samsung.

Don't one have to be classy to begin with in order to stay that way?

• Reply 57 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by brisance View Post

I seem to recall Australia having very strict laws on advertising; this certainly qualifies as false advertising since Google maps has now been shown to be equally untrustworthy.

Tim Cook already advised iOS users to use alternatives if they wanted, alternatives like Navigon, which would work EXACTLY the same as on a Samsung, seeing as how that is what the SIII uses as is visible in their poster.

• Reply 58 of 82
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by noelos View Post

Travelling to a remote part of Western Australia I've never visited before tomorrow. I'll use the maps, but might also engage my brain.

Take plenty of water and invest in a UHF CB radio, tell people where you are going and when you expect to arrive.

• Reply 59 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by macaholic_1948 View Post

I wonder if Samsung is also honest enough to point out that Google has problems with its maps as well, as has been said by the Australian police.

Well, that's the thing. Samsung isn't preening over "Samsung Maps"--there's no such thing. They really have nothing to do with Google Maps, and if Google Maps comes to iOS 6 as a free app, then how is it an advantage for Samsung?

It isn't.

Oops.

• Reply 60 of 82

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Don't one have to be classy to begin with in order to stay that way?

I thought the sarcasm in my position was rather self-evident.