WSJ: Apple testing 'several' HDTV designs with Asian manufacturers

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62

Originally Posted by Applecation View Post

I wish Apple would build a full home theater system, and not get involved in the screen.

24 speakers, 24 power cables, 24 wires in between them all? Bah.

Sure, AirPlay audio, but unless they get a working wireless power system, I don't see it.

• Reply 42 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What don't you get? Rather, what do you need to get?

It's cycling through the codes used by the various brands of television. The user doesn't need to know that; the user couldn't care less about that.

Even if that worked with every TV out there, which I doubt, but even if it did, I STILL see this as a somewhat messy an un-Apple experience. And I hate extra cables and boxes. I still want a TV that comes in a box with 1 remote and that's all I need. I plug the TV into the wall, and my Ethernet cable, if I'm antiquated, enter my Wifi password, my Apple ID and away I go.

This is the experience I want. No extra remotes to hide, put away or throw away. No other TV interface which I see, even once. Nothing else! This is what you'd call a completely seamless experience. And that's what the average person, at the end of the day, really wants. It would sell.

Yes, they need the content. No, it won't be a good product without that content. But, yes, what a day it will be if they manage to pull this off.
  • Reply 43 of 62
    I really hope that this is not just a slick looking TV controlled by gestures and Siri. To me, neither is so superior than a remote (except for the fact that you wouldn't have to look for the remote anymore). Also, there should be a reason why Apple needs to sell an integrated system rather than just an upgraded AppleTV box.

Tim Cook said that Apple tended to deliver products we didn't think we needed until we saw them. Gesture and Siri controls are not that at all.

Also, with both the Mac and the iPhone, Apple adopted someone else's early stage technology and made it functional, made it better and made it ready for mass market. What's out there that would fall into that category?
  • Reply 44 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by ankleskater View Post

I really hope that this is not just a slick looking TV controlled by gestures and Siri.

Ease up on the Siri talk, please. People do not want to talk to their TV (you'll try to prove me wrong, but you'd be wrong). Perhaps in 30 years when it's 100% reliable, for everyone. Though, even if it were, you'd still have people shouting across each other to change the channel, which is not 'ideal'.

The simplest UI I can image is great TV software with a simple Bluetooth remote. You press the button; it works! And because the TV is one device that handles all the living room functions, you've only one of those remotes, right out of the box.

It's so simple it's staring us all in the face. One TV, one remote, done. Don't over think it, guys.

Boom.

• Reply 45 of 62
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ireland wrote: »
    Ease up on the Siri talk, please. People do not want to talk to their TV (you'll try to prove me wrong, but you'd be wrong). Perhaps in 30 years when it's 100% reliable, for everyone. Though, even if it were, you'd still have people shouting across each other to change the channel, which is not 'ideal'.

The simplest UI I can image is great TV software with a simple Bluetooth remote. You press the button, it works!

To be clear, your entire concept of Steve Jobs saying he finally cracked it was to replace IR with BT? Nothing else? Just using an omni-dicrectional radio signal instead of a directional beam of light... as if that is some great achievement that needed cracking?

And, you also think that going through dozens of button maneuvers on a TV remote control to locate and then record all shows with a certain person is easier than simply telling Siri to "Record everything with Stephen Fry"?

How many button presses does it take to setup a DVR to record a season of Homeland? Do you think it would take longer to setup than speaking softly into your remote control (which still has buttons on it just as your iPhone isn't just for Siri) "Record all new episodes on Homeland on HBO."
  • Reply 46 of 62

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Though, even if it were, you'd still have people shouting across each other to change the channel, which is not 'ideal'.

And over the audio stream itself when wanting the volume or content changed.

• Reply 47 of 62
    24 speakers, 24 power cables, 24 wires in between them all? Bah.

Sure, AirPlay audio, but unless they get a working wireless power system, I don't see it.

Provider set-top box, several game boxes, blu-ray player, etc. these are not going to instantly disappear. Sure, they can plug into a TV and simply drive audio out to a stereo, but my point was that Apple will hold something back each iteration, to drive the lust after the next year's version. I could see replacing a box every couple of years to stay current, but not a big screen TV.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    It's funny all this talk about an Apple TV during a time where TV sales are currently way down.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Really?  What is so hideous about the designs?  

Take a look at http://www.loewe.tv  Some of the models even resemble the new iMacs.

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  I think they are very cool and beautiful.

Time will tell.

Ok man, we all get that you LOVE Loewe design.  Just buy one already and get on with it!

Whatever Apple build (let's just say it's a full-fledged TV) it will be and APPLE TV, not  Loewe design with an Apple Logo on it.

Enough with links, this is starting to feel like spamming.

• Reply 50 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by zoetmb View Post

And while the Sharp Elite line with technology adopted from Pioneer Kuro sets are considered high end, they have a big problem with color (I forget the exact issue, but I think the have a blue push that can't be fixed with alignment procedures.)

A-Ha!  The Kuro Series!  That's the TV on Apple's Website!  Thanks!

Sorry, unrelated to your post but it does answer the question of what the TV was on Apple's site, the same generic TV they have shown since the very first aTV.

• Reply 51 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

A new Apple Remote model could control the volume and power of any model of TV. And with all your content coming through the Apple TV, you wouldn't need the panel itself to do anything else.

Hold Menu to shut down the Apple TV. And if you have your TV set up with the remote, doing that will shut off the TV at the same time. Hold it again and both come on at the same time.

I agree and have said it a couple times.  My crappy Motorola Cablebox remote can control (albeit with limitations) every component I own.  TV, Cable, Reciever, BD, and my Apple TV.  Apple TV software has a built-in feature called "Learn My Remote".  I don't see why Apple couldn't produce a remote similar to this but with a vastly better UI.

The Problem I have is with the "All-On" feature of my remote.  Sometimes I just want to watch TV, but if I hit the "All-on" button, it turns on every component, which in most cases is annoying.

• Reply 52 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by tylerk36 View Post

Im so sick of seeing that iMac as an example.  Can't they at least come up with a generic LCD TV with the Apple TV menu?  Or even the new iMac would be nice.

Apple has done this since 2007.

See my post #51

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/154968/wsj-apple-testing-several-hdtv-designs-with-asian-manufacturers/40#post_2246142

And quit calling it the iMac...it's the Apple Thunderbolt Display.  I guess it's pretty obvious no one even knows Apple sells a Monitor too.

• Reply 53 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Well, there are different size TVs for different size rooms.  Pick the one that is right for your room.

The reason I post the pictures is because I believe Apple is working with Loewe on the TVs.

1.  Apple is partnering with Sharp.

2.  Sharp owns 30% of Loewe.

3.  You may remember a rumor that Apple was buying Loewe.  

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/12/apple_reportedly_in_talks_to_acquire_german_hdtv_maker_loewe.html

4,  Apple can certainly enhance the physical designs and functionality of the Loewe TVs.

Time will tell.

And I think it's 100% unanimous that EVERYONE DISAGREES WITH YOU!!!

You're not convincing anyone here.

• Reply 54 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

A-Ha!  The Kuro Series!  That's the TV on Apple's Website!  Thanks!

Sorry, unrelated to your post but it does answer the question of what the TV was on Apple's site, the same generic TV they have shown since the very first aTV.

Now can anyone tell me what this camera is on the lower left???

• Reply 55 of 62

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul94544 View Post

Desktop Computers will be replaced with HD screen on a wall. TV will be just one App

This reminds me of the naming rumors of this mythical beast...The iPanel.  Could replace the Thunderbolt Display.  Just a Panel that all your devices work on over AirPlay or Thunderbolt.  Comes in 27", 40" & 55" varieties.

That's exactly what I've been saying for a while now.

• Reply 56 of 62
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Do you think it would take longer to setup than speaking softly into your remote control (which still has buttons on it just as your iPhone isn't just for Siri) "Record all new episodes on Homeland on HBO."

Tell me again why you have to record iPTV?
  • Reply 57 of 62
    antkm1 wrote: »
    Now can anyone tell me what this camera is on the lower left???

LL

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/16/blackmagic-cinema-camera-packs-feature-film-2-5k-quality-touc/
  • Reply 58 of 62
    antkm1 wrote: »
    This reminds me of the naming rumors of this mythical beast.The iPanel.
    Even if Apple has to give iTV in the UK $1B to use the name, the only name this product can have is iTV. It's that simple.

Apple should go with the name and work out a deal afterwards. iTV will take the money, and Apple certainly has it.
  • Reply 59 of 62

Quote:

Even if Apple has to give iTV in the UK $1B to use the name, the only name this product can have is iTV. It's that simple.

Apple should go with the name and work out a deal afterwards. iTV will take the money, and Apple certainly has it.

I disagree, only under the specific functions of the device.

If this thing is just a TV, iTV or Apple TV or iVision makes sense.  But if it's more than just a TV, iPanel makes a lot more sense.  However, the iPhone is really not a phone, but they used that name for simplicity sake.  And the fact that nothing like the iPhone existed at the time and it was the only name that was clear for marketability.

• Reply 60 of 62

…the only name this product can have is iTV.

Anyone else smell something burning?